/* */

PDA

View Full Version : OCD in Islam

anonymous
12-11-2015, 12:30 AM
In Islam to what extent are people who have OCD responsible for their symptoms for example: immoral thoughts, urges & images?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
12-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a condition which someone has strong desire (obsession) to do something repeatedly because feel anxious exaggerated. In example, washing hands repeatedly because afraid of germ, checking the door repeatedly to make sure it has been locked. Behavior like this is not sin.

But thinking and imagining the immoral things?. Hmm, ...... I don't think this is symptom of OCD. It's better if you do not too easy to conclude that this is symptom of OCD.

HappyMuslimaa
12-11-2015, 07:15 AM
I agree with ardianto. Maybe you have the term OCD confused with another disorder?

anonymous
12-11-2015, 08:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a condition which someone has strong desire (obsession) to do something repeatedly because feel anxious exaggerated. In example, washing hands repeatedly because afraid of germ, checking the door repeatedly to make sure it has been locked. Behavior like this is not sin.

But thinking and imagining the immoral things?. Hmm, ...... I don't think this is symptom of OCD. It's better if you do not too easy to conclude that this is symptom of OCD.
Obsessions Found in Pure O
Obsessions are intrusive and unwanted thoughts, images, impulses, or sensations. These mental intrusions are ego-dystonic. This contributes to the panic and internal resistance that accompanies such thoughts.

While obsessions can take on any theme, the following are several categories of obsessions commonly experienced with Pure O:

• thoughts about harming oneself or others;

• thoughts about abhorrent sexual activity, such as pedophilia or incest;

• persistent doubt about one’s sexual orientation;

• persistent doubt about one’s romantic partner;

• antireligious thoughts; and

• thoughts about normally unnoticed somatic functions, such as blinking, swallowing, or breathing.

http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/070212p22.shtml

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
12-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Here is quite similar question like yours and answers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/islam/comme...nt_are_people/

DanEdge
12-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Greetings,

This is is probably best discussed with a professional in the field: doctor, psychiatrist, or psychologist. I'd recommend referring the interested party to a professional for ideas about treatment.

--Dan Edge

sister herb
12-11-2015, 09:42 AM
This article concerns about homosexual thoughts but we can see it also about OCD typing thoughts:

http://islamqa.info/en/7491

"As far as merely thinking about such sins is concerned, a person will not be punished for that, so long as he does not do it or talk about it, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah will forgive my Ummah for whatever crosses their minds, so long as they do not act upon it or speak about it."

Alpha Dude
12-11-2015, 08:52 PM
I think we need to be very careful when self-diagnosing such things.

It's very easy to write off something as being a psychological problem out of our control as opposed to seeing them as actually being spiritual diseases (and whispers of shaytan's misguidance) that we need strive to fight to cure.

If we view something as a psychological problem, we end up feeling absolved of than sin, as though it's not our fault (which would make us likely to continue doing it without any regard). Whereas, if accept we are thinking something immoral, we realize that we have a spiritual problem and we struggle with ourselves all the time in order to not be sinful. I.e. it's a case of being complacent and defeatist vs. struggling to better yourself.

Also what sister herb mentions is important, about not acting upon such thoughts.

As an aside, the constant and consistent remembrance of Allah (dhikr) helps in keeping the whispers of shaytan at bay. The more you remember Allah, the less control shaytan has over you.

ardianto
12-12-2015, 11:23 PM
Mental disorder can make someone do something without he/she can control it. But we should not easy to conclude that we suffer of disorder because it could become self justification when we do something wrong.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.