/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Over 2,400 pilgrims died in hajj stampede, according to new count

Glac09
12-15-2015, 06:37 PM
The Associated Press is reporting that at least 2,411 pilgrims were killed in the hajj stampede in Mina in September – triple the number that Saudi Arabia has acknowledged.
AP is basing the number on state media reports and officials’ comments from 36 countries that sent citizens to the hajj. AP says that hundreds of pilgrims remain missing.
Even though Saudi promised a quick and thorough investigation following the international outcry over the incident, state media has not mentioned the investigation into the disaster for nearly two months.
Authorities said the crush and stampede occurred when two waves of pilgrims converged on a narrow road, suffocating or trampling to death those caught in the disaster.
Saudi Arabia has spent billions of dollars on crowd control and safety measures for those attending the pilgrimage.
Iran was most affected by the disaster, with 464 Iranian pilgrims killed. Mali said it lost 305 people, while Nigeria lost 274 and 190 pilgrims from Egypt were killed.
Iran has accused the Saudi authorities of gross mismanagement and has said the deaths were entirely preventable.

More...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BilalKid
12-17-2015, 06:01 PM
inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiun

M.I.A.
12-17-2015, 06:33 PM
May Allah swt have mercy upon them,

identify bottlenecks and introduce traffic easing measures.. Maybe not just bigger roads.

ardianto
12-18-2015, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
May Allah swt have mercy upon them,

identify bottlenecks and introduce traffic easing measures.. Maybe not just bigger roads.
The tragedy happened not because bottleneck, but because collision between two groups of people that came from opposite direction.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
12-18-2015, 11:24 PM
until i have been i have no way of comprehending the actual situation,

the idiot in me would suggest traffic lights.

although i think extra effort by the authorities could work even better..

especially if there are any.. troubled junctions.

maybe it was not even a junction, i think if they put it out there in the public forum, maybe set a general problem at some educational institutes.. engineering departments etc, they would sooner or later get a good response.

or several little improvements that people could be proud off.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.