/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Space exploration

Physicist
12-17-2015, 03:41 AM
What do you think about space exploration?

I found this article, about fatwa against living on Mars, argumented by the lack of righteous reason to live there and suicidal nature of such move.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...son-there.html

Well, it may be considered so for that particular expedition.
But regarding space exploration in general, i would argue.

One, moving to the desert, being unprepared, commiting a suicide of course.
Same one, being appropriately equipped and developping arid land is highly encouraged.
format_quote Originally Posted by Engineering ethics in Islam
http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Mus...thics-in-islam
2.11 Work for sustainable development.
Islam encourages development works. An important type of sustainable development is to develop a piece of unowned land by making it suitable to cultivate or dvell on it, or to do business on it
Extraterrestial wastelands of course is more difficult to develop due to transportation issues and more hostile environment. Like in desert, where one must care about his water supplies, on the Mars, one must care about his oxigen supplies, etc.
But if one has appropriate equipment to do so, why not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
12-17-2015, 05:37 AM
I have often thought about this and I come to this conclusion.

The question is why do we need to explore space? Because greed in exploiting resources. So, with diminishing resources, 'hope' is given by the possibility of colonisation of planets. If the world can accept this (which they are) it pretty much gives these corporate bodies the green light to proceed with all the exploitation even if it will make the earth inhospitable.

My 2cents worth.

:peace:

DanEdge
12-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Greetings,

Space exploration is exiting for many reasons. First of course because it expands our understanding of the natural world. Many new technologies (including GPS) exist because of man's attempts to expand his horizon to space. In the very, very long term, humans will have to explore space because some day the sun will expand and explode. We will either have to find a new home, or perish.

--Dan Edge

BlueOwl358
12-17-2015, 08:26 AM
What is it with Anti-Space hate? Space is the final frontier, the reason for exploring it is the same as all the other stuff we've been exploring for so long, and those people were pretty well liked by everyone. Anyone remember Ibn Batutta? Yeah, he did it because he could. Space exploration has given us so many new technologies, and created jobs. If people are well-equipped, why not? We've been studying God's creations for so long, is it truly so bad we can witness them? I don't even see the point in the argument.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DanEdge
12-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Is there such a thing as "space hate?" Weird...

BlueOwl358
12-17-2015, 09:12 AM
I was just throwing that around. That isn't a real term that I have heard.

Physicist
12-17-2015, 10:51 AM
"Greed in exploiting resources".
Sorry, but for me it sounds like a silly propaganda, people are often repeating such things without thinking about.
Once, i've been discussing with a fanatic guy, trying to understand what does he want and finally he said: "It'd be good to kill 90% of the human to let Earth breathe"
Kind of idolatry with human sacrifices.

greenhill
12-17-2015, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Physicist
"Greed in exploiting resources".
Sorry, but for me it sounds like a silly propaganda, people are often repeating such things without thinking about.
Once, i've been discussing with a fanatic guy, trying to understand what does he want and finally he said: "It'd be good to kill 90% of the human to let Earth breathe"
Kind of idolatry with human sacrifices.
It's not propaganda. Exploiting resources should be done in a sustainable way. Not by way of exhausting everything within the lifetime of the exploiter. Do we need to over produce? Does the stronger country need to invade weaker countries for their resources and give nothing back and destroy the sustainable way of life that was there?

Besides, it is not likely we will ever succeed in colonising another planet due to too many variables needing to be suitable. And, do you reckon the not so well off can afford the 'move'? Most likely they will be left behind.

No, we have enough resources here on earth for all, but not enough for greed.

Well, if you want to consider a mad fanatic and put it the same breath as the conglomerate that poisons the earth while they extract gold and silver for profits (for example) and remain in denial of the existence of the fact that greed is killing the earth, I have nothing more to say.

Search
12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
:bism:

:sl:

The way fatwas (legal Islamic rulings) generally work is that one has to first discover Islamic scholars that a individual trusts, then if an individual is confused about a matter and the confusion is not cleared with available Islamic knowledge and following Sunnah (prophetic footsteps) of either (a) istikhara (guidance) or (b) consultation with trustworthy family/friends or both depending on the situation, then ask a trusted scholar to peruse Islamic jurisprudence to make a fatwa (legal Islamic ruling) as specifically applied to the individual seeking the fatwa (legal Islamic ruling). Of course, the assumption is that since the person has asked the fatwa (legal Islamic ruling) from a scholar that the individual personally trusts, the individual will in sincerity to God follow the fatwa (legal Islamic ruling) as it emanated from a reliable source that a person trusts to make that determination.

That said, not all fatwas (legal Islamic rulings) are equal, and some scholars will express different views of the same subject and thereby arrive at a different fatwa (legal Islamic ruling). Also, please know that ulema (Islamic scholars) in some cases, especially not residing in the First World or those too entrenched in their cultural mores, have not escaped the reactionary mentality wherein anything new is automatically cause for suspicion and thereby ultimately rejection. Therefore, I do not take such reactionary mentality as representation of Islam but a representation of those specific scholars' cultural mindset and subset of their traditional value and orientation. The reactionary mentality can also be seen in fatwas (legal Islamic rulings), for example, that were issued during the time of British rule in India to Muslims that held that learning English is impermissible. Now, even a new Muslim or non-Muslim is able to determine nothing in Islam forbids learning another language, yet some ulema (Islamic scholars) of that time cautioned Muslims against learning English. So, make of that what you will.

Also, especially when there are different scholarly views or reason to believe there will be different scholarly views and no ijma (consensus), we may choose for ourselves on the basis of the Prophet Muhammad's sallalhau alayhi wasallam (peace and blessings be upon him) directive to the Companion Wabisa r.a. (may Allah be pleased with him), which is mentioned in Nawawi’s Forty Hadiths Around which Revolves Islam: “Ask fatwa from your heart and conscience even if x, y and z give you a hundred fatwas.” This is of course not a blanket prescription for an individual to ignore traditional scholarly opinions on any a specific situation or subject matter applicable to the individual but to recognize that the first and foremost criteria to be met for any persons seeking answers is sincerity to God which requires submission to God and not nafs (ego).

Hope that helps. Thanks.

:wa:

ardianto
12-17-2015, 02:42 PM
If we use those scholars mindset, then going to south pole would be haram because extreme cold weather there can kill human. But how if we go there with proper equipment to make us can live there, like scientist in south pole research station?.

Those scholars were too hurry to make a fatwa for a matter without trying to understand that matter.

What do you think about space exploration?
Muslims should not avoid technological advance like space exploration because it will make them become weak people that easily to be oppressed by the others.

Physicist
12-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately that reactionary mindsets widely assumed as a representatives of Islam.
Which certainly repelled many engineers and scientists from learning Islam.
I never heard about muslim space program or something hitech.

format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
It's not propaganda. Exploiting resources should be done in a sustainable way. Not by way of exhausting everything within the lifetime of the exploiter. Do we need to over produce? Does the stronger country need to invade weaker countries for their resources and give nothing back and destroy the sustainable way of life that was there?

Besides, it is not likely we will ever succeed in colonising another planet due to too many variables needing to be suitable. And, do you reckon the not so well off can afford the 'move'? Most likely they will be left behind.

No, we have enough resources here on earth for all, but not enough for greed.
Absolutely agree about carefull usage, as it's also said in Engineering ethics in Islam.
We must respect Earth as a creation which Allah generously provided to us, people.
However, there are still many people living in the total poverty, some not even have electricity and to provide to everybody decent style of life requires much more to develop.

ardianto
12-17-2015, 03:51 PM
I never heard about muslim space program or something hitech.
Muslim space program?. Oh, bro, space program has nothing to do with Islam. :D

Yeah, currently Muslims are far behind in space program. Indonesia has space institution (LAPAN) which mostly of scientists and engineers at there are Muslims. Their current achievement is making micro satellite that has been launched into orbit by Indian rocket. Indeed, this achievement is still very far behind the advanced countries. But at least it's better than just become audience in space program without ever do anything.

:)

greenhill
12-17-2015, 07:14 PM
I feel islam fell into the trap. I mean the people.

Western culture has infiltrated almost every level of life in so many ways that that we wear it so comfortably and when we 'try' to wear the islamic one, it feels. . .(fill in your blanks).

Although science as we know it is relatively new, around the 'height' of discovery, some people noticed that a number of findings were at odds with the Church. Like a their steeple being struck by lightning (wrath of god) bringing it crumbling down while down the road, a brothel, putting lightning arrestor, survived. Hence the interest in science as a means to disprove religion. Theory of evolution, what's that about? What! No Adam and Eve? Etc etc.

Conclusion, you cannot become a scientist if you believe in God. Perhaps for other faiths, I say. If you believe in the Quran, you can become a scientist. The Quran will never be disproved. In fact, we might learn more about the Quran, unlocking more truths.

ardianto
12-17-2015, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Western culture has infiltrated almost every level of life in so many ways that that we wear it so comfortably and when we 'try' to wear the islamic one, it feels. . .(fill in your blanks).
Excuse me, bro. I quote your statement as the topic in my new thread.

The opposite of West is East, not Islam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.