/* */

PDA

View Full Version : It's not the penny, it's the principle

strivingobserver98
12-30-2015, 02:27 AM
Price tags are placed to create physiological efficacy. Have you never wondered why something is 99p? £1.99? £2.99? Like what difference does a penny make? It's a physiological efficacy created to manipulate us into thinking its cheaper than it actually is. And as much as we'd love to disagree, we know £2.99, looks better than £3.00.

But many shops speaking speak from my personal experience take up this chance to also take that penny. I know, some of you may jump on me saying! Okay Mr Saleh! It's only a penny! But that isn't my issue, it's the principle. If you've said the cost for something is this, then even if it is a small amount one should return it, UNLESS the person foregoes their right of requesting it back and allows them to keep the change.

But I personally have experienced shops and take aways that do not even offer the penny back! It is possible that the entire بيع (transaction) becomes فاسد (void), because the agreed ثمن (price) hasn't been paid. In which case there is a possibility that both the بايع (seller) and the مشتري (buyer) are both sinful! Be real, its not the penny but not the principle that matters.

O believers! Do not devour one another’s wealth by evil means except through trading by mutual consent. (Qur'an - 4:29)

This verse prohibits a person from devouring other people’s wealth through means which are against justice, honesty, fairness and against the good conventions of a society.

- Written by @Huzzy_786

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
12-30-2015, 02:56 AM
Assalaamu alaikum Farhan,

Umm... why did not Huzzy post this himself...?

Anyway (twinkle) I think he means psychological, not physiological.

But it is an interesting point. Since our previous Prime Minister of Canada (the unlamented Stephen Harper) stopped the production of 1 cent coins (spawning the joke Stephen Harper makes no cents...), I've noticed that stores still offer merchandise at, say, $2.99, but will charge $3 at the cash. Truly, it seems a bit dishonest. On the other hand, when this new state of affairs first was introduced, the stores had little signs about prices being rounded to the nearest 5 cents cash (though I believe that if you pay credit, you pay the actual price...!), so people knew what they were getting into.

It seems to me that if both the buyer and the seller understand the rules of the transaction, then it should still be Islamically acceptable. (smile) But this is only my own opinion.

May Allah, the Just, Help us to be fair and honest in our commercial dealings with one another.

greenhill
12-30-2015, 04:01 AM
But then again, lots of principles have gone down the drain..... :hmm:

BlueOwl358
12-30-2015, 06:17 AM
All famous brands or shops use psychology to influence buyers. Since we read left to right in English, the 2 is the most first and important number we register, and then everything else is based on that. So our brain tries to round it down. Pretty sly. Restaurants are the most sly in this, their every move is built upon psychology, especially their menus and the use of the colour red.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Huzzy_786
12-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Jazak'Allah hu Khairan for posting it on my behalf Br Farhan. May Allah reward you abundantly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.