PDA

View Full Version : Would you give charity if there's no reward for it?.



ardianto
01-11-2016, 04:33 PM
:sl:

When I started learn Islam I have been taught that if I give sadaqah (charity) then I will get reward in hereafter, or Allah will give me easiness in life, or Allah will give me more than I have given. I believe it.

But then I notice, there are people who give charity and start to dream about big palace in heaven, or because they want Allah give easiness for what they are doing, or even then really expect Allah will give them wealth more than little amount that they give. Frankly, it often makes me wonder, they give charity but expect something. Then, if there's no reward for charity, would they give charity?.

Okay, brothers, sisters, how about you?. Do you expect reward when you give charity?. And if there's no reward for charity, would you still give charity?.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
01-11-2016, 04:46 PM
I think I would give charity also without reward. I can compare my life and thoughts now to that time before Islam (when I was atheist). I then too gave charity and helped people in need and as atheist I didn´t expect reward (certainly not from the God). I have been taught that been kind and help others is a manner what we all have to follow. And as a good girl I of course believed kind of teaching.

About waiting reward now, well, I don´t expect big palaces. A little corner in Jannah is enough - a place where I can continue gardening forever. :D
Reply

Muslim Woman
01-11-2016, 04:48 PM
:sl:

what's wrong if we give charity and expect reward from God Almighty ? There is a verse in Quran that says something like that Muslims were kind to prisoners / non Muslims and told them , we don't expect anything from u but Allah.

Prophet Muhammad pbuh gave glad tidings for whom who give a garden to a poor boy or something like that . Prophet pbuh advised to give charity to save ourselves from hellfire.



Reply

Muslim Woman
01-11-2016, 04:51 PM
:sl:


Originally Posted by sister herb
...... well, I don´t expect big palaces. A little corner in Jannah is enough - a place where I can continue gardening forever. :D

big palaces = big gardens , more gardening forever :p
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
ardianto
01-11-2016, 05:10 PM
In giving charity we have to sincere, and expecting reward can make us not sincere because it could make us have attitude "I will feed the poor if Allah give me reward in hereafter". Then if Allah doesn't give reward, would we feed the poor?.

Expecting reward in hereafter is still okay. Unfortunately I have seen people gave charity because they expected easiness in the world like easiness in exam or even expect winning in sport competition!. It's mean they were not sincere. This is not good of course. I remember my ustadz said "In giving sadaqah you have to be sincere. Do not count how many reward that you can get"
Reply

hisnameiszzz
01-11-2016, 05:11 PM
I would give charity regardless. I didn't even know there was reward for it.

One thing I always do is give abundantly to charity especially if it's orphans, widows or animals. I support all charities but those 3 are my top ones. My life is absolutely **** but I have been blessed with money so I always donate generously. I am grateful for the money I have and am always thankful for it may I add. I know that money is only money at the end of the day and though I have enough today I know it can all be gone tomorrow so I am always careful with it. I don't spend excessively. I don't buy stupid things. If my employer was to sack me tomorrow then I would have enough to last me for a while before I could get another job.

I don't want a huge palace in Janet. What I would like though is some peace in this life because the neighbours from hell are making my life so hard to live at the moment.

But back to the topic, yes I would donate regardless of reward.
Reply

M.I.A.
01-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Yes I would, although it's easier when I'm not struggling myself. Lol. Guess that's the test.

Sometimes I really feel that the world is a game and even giving charity is a test of where you would give charity..

At my lowest point but mostly I just give it anyway.

My own dearest say I will never be successful.. Not hungry enough.

It's a patronising world if they get there hands on you.
Reply

hisnameiszzz
01-11-2016, 05:14 PM
There is that thing where people sacrifice an animal to feed the needy in exchange for good health isn't there? Would that be classed as expecting something for giving something? One of my friends nephews was critically ill so they slaughtered two lambs in Pakistan for his good health.
Reply

ardianto
01-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
There is that thing where people sacrifice an animal to feed the needy in exchange for good health isn't there? Would that be classed as expecting something for giving something? One of my friends nephews was critically ill so they slaughtered two lambs in Pakistan for his good health.
If your friend nephew is not in health problem and his family has enough money to buy lamb, would they sacrifice lamb and give the meat to feed the poor people?.
Reply

hisnameiszzz
01-11-2016, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=ardianto;2869448]If your friend nephew is not in health problem and his family has enough money to buy lamb, would they sacrifice lamb and give the meat to feed the poor people?.[/QUOTE

No. They wouldn't. Well I doubt it.

Mind you isn't it normal for people to give Sadaqa if they are poorly. We used to when we were little. Or if someone has an operation. Or if someone had a long journey, we would always put some money in the Sadaqa tin.

Actually was just talking to my Mom. When my Dad's cancer became terminal, we sacrificed two lambs in India too. But it made no difference and he died anyway. ]
Reply

LaSorcia
01-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz

Actually was just talking to my Mom. When my Dad's cancer became terminal, we sacrificed two lambs in India too. But it made no difference and he died anyway. ]
That's not necessarily true that it made no difference. Yes, he died, but perhaps he suffered a bit less in the meantime. Maybe Allah granted him extra days? We won't know while we still live on this earth.


Also, I don't think it's even possible to give and not get a reward. We are rewarded because it feels good to help others, and because it improves us as people.
Reply

sister herb
01-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Also, I don't think it's even possible to give and not get a reward. We are rewarded because it feels good to help others, and because it improves us as people.
Helping others might has also one more effect: when people get help, it also may teach them to continue helping some others.

It reminds me about a friend some years ago; I helped her with a small amounts and later she asked when I want them back. I asked her not to return those money back to me but later, if she will meets someone who needs help, she could give that amount to him/her and ask him/her to do the same when he/she will meet someone who is in need. I felt that by one amount of money many people will gets help.

:statisfie
Reply

hisnameiszzz
01-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
Helping others might has also one more effect: when people get help, it also may teach them to continue helping some others.

It reminds me about a friend some years ago; I helped her with a small amounts and later she asked when I want them back. I asked her not to return those money back to me but later, if she will meets someone who needs help, she could give that amount to him/her and ask him/her to do the same when he/she will meet someone who is in need. I felt that by one amount of money many people will gets help.

:statisfie
That's an awesome idea. Will remember that.
Reply

hisnameiszzz
01-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by LaSorcia
That's not necessarily true that it made no difference. Yes, he died, but perhaps he suffered a bit less in the meantime. Maybe Allah granted him extra days? We won't know while we still live on this earth.


Also, I don't think it's even possible to give and not get a reward. We are rewarded because it feels good to help others, and because it improves us as people.
No you are completely right. Seeing him go from a normal human being to suffering so much and then emaciating to look like a skeleton took it all out of us. So when we sacrificed the animals, I guess personally I was thinking a miracle would happen and he would return to his normal state. It didn't happen and it really bothered me. Thinking about it today brought all those awful memories back.

But you are fully right. He might have suffered less than he would have done and he might have had a few extra days. He was able to celebrate Eid that year and he passed off a few days after.

Thanks for your views. I am quite an angry and bitter person at the moment and my glass is always half empty, never half full. It's glad that people can say things on here which give me a different view on things. Many thanks.
Reply

LaSorcia
01-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
No you are completely right. Seeing him go from a normal human being to suffering so much and then emaciating to look like a skeleton took it all out of us. So when we sacrificed the animals, I guess personally I was thinking a miracle would happen and he would return to his normal state. It didn't happen and it really bothered me. Thinking about it today brought all those awful memories back.

But you are fully right. He might have suffered less than he would have done and he might have had a few extra days. He was able to celebrate Eid that year and he passed off a few days after.

Thanks for your views. I am quite an angry and bitter person at the moment and my glass is always half empty, never half full. It's glad that people can say things on here which give me a different view on things. Many thanks.

I'm sorry, I know it's horrid. I saw it happen to my grandma, and now it is happening to my Father in law. I'm so happy your dad had that chance to have one last complete Eid with your family! You might feel angry and bitter at the moment, but you are not being stubborn and refusing to see the good, so praise God for that. I hope your mental/spiritual state improves soon, inshallah.
Reply

Eric H
01-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Greetings and peace be with you hisnameiszzz;

So when we sacrificed the animals, I guess personally I was thinking a miracle would happen and he would return to his normal state. It didn't happen and it really bothered me. Thinking about it today brought all those awful memories back.
I Watched my mum suffer from multiple sclerosis for about thirty years, and for around the last twenty years of her life, she was paralysed from the neck down. We all seemed powerless to help her in any meaningful way, she was the strongest and most caring person I will ever meet.

When she died, there was a poem that was read at her funeral.



When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little – but not too long
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me – but let me go.

For this is a journey that we all must take
And each must go alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan,
A step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss Me – But Let me Go!

In the spirit of praying for those we love

Eric
Reply

hisnameiszzz
01-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Eric H
When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little – but not too long
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me – but let me go.

For this is a journey that we all must take
And each must go alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan,
A step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss Me – But Let me Go!

In the spirit of praying for those we love

Eric
What a lovely poem that is Eric H. It brought tears to my eyes.

I am so sorry both you and La Sorcia had ill family members they had to see suffer. It's an awful time isn't it? I was just thinking about my Dad yesterday once I had posted and I felt awful all over again. It's not a nice thing to see a family member suffer like that, but I guess it is a normal part of life. At least our families had us to look after them and assist them. I wonder what it would be like to not have anyone at all.

La Sorcia, I am sending you positive vibes. I hope your relation is not suffering too much.

I was with my Dad when he passed away but I just blank it from my mind whenever it enters. I guess at some point I am going to have to acknowledge it and process it in my mind but with everything going on at the moment, I do not feel ready to do that just yet.

Sorry to the OP. I seem to have taken over your thread and am discussing something else. I do apologise.

Peace.
Reply

Eric H
01-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Greetings and peace be with you ardianto;

Okay, brothers, sisters, how about you?. Do you expect reward when you give charity?. And if there's no reward for charity, would you still give charity?.
When you do your job, and obey your boss you earn your pay. I think likewise with charity, Allah says he will reward us, if we give willingly and generously, probably not in this life, but in the next. He has set out the guidelines, so we should try and obey.

Unfortunately, the what if question cannot exist for us, because Allah has already said he will reward us. I am not sure we are in a position to ask our God to rewrite scriptures by saying, don't reward us when we give to charity. :)

In the spirit of striving to do God's will,

Eric
Reply

ardianto
01-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you ardianto;

When you do your job, and obey your boss you earn your pay. I think likewise with charity, Allah says he will reward us, if we give willingly and generously, probably not in this life, but in the next. He has set out the guidelines, so we should try and obey.

Unfortunately, the what if question cannot exist for us, because Allah has already said he will reward us. I am not sure we are in a position to ask our God to rewrite scriptures by saying, don't reward us when we give to charity. :)

In the spirit of striving to do God's will,

Eric
Greeting and peace be with you Eric H.

Concept of reward in Islam (maybe in other religions too) is different than concept of salary. If I work in a company, then my boss has to pay me in amount that accordance to the agreement. But the reward that I would receive for doing kindness like charity is depend on Allah. I might be get big reward when I give charity in small amount if I really sincere. I might be would not get reward when I give charity in big amount if I show off this charity.

This is why my Islamic teacher told me to not expect reward, but let Allah decide to give me reward or not. However, I also should not have attitude which I reject reward like "I don't need rewrad" because this is an arrogance that disliked by Allah.

If Allah reward me for charity that I give to needy people, I am grateful. If not?. I am still grateful because I least I can share my happiness with the others. Alhamdulillah, since I was kid I have been taught to be grateful with what Allah give to me. And it make me can feel happiness when I can share what I have with those who are not as lucky as me.

:)
Reply

ardianto
01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
Sorry to the OP. I seem to have taken over your thread and am discussing something else. I do apologise.
It's okay, brother, it's okay. :)
Reply

IARLG
01-13-2016, 03:01 AM
Maybe i would give charity (without knowing of the reward) due to the fitrah Allah placed on us.

Hopefully i would also feel good and hopefully i would not do it to show off. O Allah please increase me in beneficial Knowledge and guidance.
Reply

MuslimInshallah
01-13-2016, 03:42 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,


Mmm... (pensively) I don't really think about rewards much. Mostly, I just do what feels right, without thinking much at all. (smile) I guess it could be argued that I get a reward right there and then, because doing something that makes you feel balanced and whole inside... well, it feels good!

But sometimes, it does happen that I don't want to do something, even if it feels good, because it is inconvenient, or I am feeling lazy. And then I may think to myself ​do it because God Loves that. And that can help motivate me. (smile) But again, it could be argued that this is a reward too. When you do something for someone you love, it makes you feel good inside, too.

(smile) But sadaqa is not just about giving money or stuff. It's also doing good deeds, from visiting the sick to offering someone a smile. (smile) Actually, I think that most sadaqa is not about material goods.

(laugh) And I can definitely say that I almost never think about getting a reward for smiling at people!

(twinkle) It just feels good.


May Allah, the Loving, Help us to share His Gifts with one another.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-22-2017, 10:08 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 05:09 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
  5. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 04:32 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!