PDA

View Full Version : Non-illusion card tricks in Islam



omer301
01-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Assalamualaikum,

Is it haram to do card tricks which are not real magic nor illusions like sleight of hand?

What I mean is mathmatical card tricks which are done using maths

An example would be a video entitled "very cool beginner card trick revelead"

Is doing these tricks merely for entertainment or fun haram?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Brave yet great question.

Would let one of the more knowledgeable members take this one on if possible - but really this one I feel is for the scholars.
Reply

Saleem Khan
01-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Ws.

Illusionary card tricks are impermissible.

Although they do not fall under the definition of magic the jurist have ruled they are also impermissible.
Reply

omer301
01-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Thank you Timi Scar and Saleem Khan

I have one more doubt and that is if cardistry is allowed? Cardistry as in deck shuffles and card fans and stuff like that?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Saleem Khan
01-18-2016, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by Saleem Khan
Ws.

Illusionary card tricks are impermissible.

Although they do not fall under the definition of magic the jurist have ruled they are also impermissible.
Isn't this answer okay?
Reply

omer301
01-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Saleem Khan
Isn't this answer okay?
So basically I am not allowed to do any sort of tricks with cards according to what you said right?
Reply

omer301
01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Wait according to what Ive read, nothing related to cards is prohibited? Meaning its haram to play cards,to do cardistry,to do tricks,etc,etc
Reply

Scimitar
01-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Do the cards contain man made images of life?

If so - NO. (cards contain images of humans in the form of Kings, Queens and Jacks... so on that basis, no)

There you go bro.

Scimi
Reply

omer301
01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Timi Scar
Do the cards contain man made images of life?

If so - NO. (cards contain images of humans in the form of Kings, Queens and Jacks... so on that basis, no)

There you go bro.

Scimi
I am very very sorry but I do not understand what you mean by what you are saying... also I could just remove the kings,queens,jacks and jokers?....

Also what does Scimi mean?
Reply

ardianto
01-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Card is popular tool for gambling. This is why many ulama prohibit play with card although without betting.

The reason behind fatwa that prohibit illusion card trick is because the tool that used in this trick (the card), not the trick itself.
Reply

Scimitar
01-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by omer301
I am very very sorry but I do not understand what you mean by what you are saying... also I could just remove the kings,queens,jacks and jokers?....

Also what does Scimi mean?
No need to apologise to me brother :) we're here to help in sha Allah

I used to be called Scimitar - now I am Timi Scar - just rearranged the letters :D

Why are you so obsessed with card tricks?

Tricks are for kids and people who waste time by "entertaining" others.... in the Qur'an is this ayat.

Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion.

Qur'an - Surah al Hadeed 57/20

so take heed bro

Timi aka Scimi
Reply

ardianto
01-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Edit: Double post
Reply

czgibson
01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Greetings,

Originally Posted by omer301
Is it haram to do card tricks which are not real magic nor illusions like sleight of hand?
No card tricks use real magic. There is always a perfectly naturalistic explanation of how they work.

Peace
Reply

sister herb
01-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,



No card tricks use real magic. There is always a perfectly naturalistic explanation of how they work.

Peace
The question was what is an Islamic perspective to them, not an atheist perspective. ;)
Reply

ardianto
01-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,



No card tricks use real magic. There is always a perfectly naturalistic explanation of how they work.

Peace
Greeting czgibson.

Illusion trick does not use help from jinn like real magic. But ultra conservative ulama still prohibit illusion trick. It's because they defining every trick that deceive the eyes as magic, with or without help from jinn. Different than moderate ulama that allow illusion trick without jinn, although for trick with card many of them prohibit it due to the tool (card) that used.
Reply

sister herb
01-18-2016, 05:17 PM
What if someone just cuts blank pieces from the cardboard without any pictures and plays with them (I mean make tricks)?
Reply

Pygoscelis
01-18-2016, 06:10 PM
How about Dominoes? If the pictures of kings, queens, jacks and jokers are the issue, what about "cards" with only numbers or dots on them, like dominoes? Are games/tricks with dominoes allowed?
Reply

Scimitar
01-18-2016, 06:50 PM
I cant believe what I am reading.

You are not children but adults... playing card tricks? really?

Please take HEED:

Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion.

Qur'an - Surah al Hadeed 57/20

WHAT IS THE WORLDLY LIFE EXCEPT ENJOYMENT OF DELUSION.

So yeah, delude yourselves, pfft.

Scimi
Reply

omer301
01-19-2016, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by Timi Scar
I cant believe what I am reading.

You are not children but adults... playing card tricks? really?

Please take HEED:

Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion.

Qur'an - Surah al Hadeed 57/20

WHAT IS THE WORLDLY LIFE EXCEPT ENJOYMENT OF DELUSION.

So yeah, delude yourselves, pfft.

Scimi
Thank you for the advise, I asked this question because alot of people still play with cards even when they are adults
Reply

Scimitar
01-19-2016, 01:07 PM
Ah genuine case of monkey see, monkey do, right?

Don't bro - you know the old saying now... it's withstood the test of time for a reason - there's a ring of truth to it.

Don't be the monkey.

Scimi
Reply

Amazigh073
01-19-2016, 10:56 PM
My understanding is that it is okay aslong as you don't decieve people or claim to have supernatural powers. As long as it is a simple cardtrick for enjoyment atleast.

But Allah knows best.
Reply

czgibson
01-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Greetings,

Originally Posted by sister herb
The question was what is an Islamic perspective to them, not an atheist perspective. ;)
In that case, please forgive me for misunderstanding the Islamic point of view. Is it believed that, even when a completely naturalistic explanation is available, there is also "real magic" involved too?

Peace
Reply

sister herb
01-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,



In that case, please forgive me for misunderstanding the Islamic point of view. Is it believed that, even when a completely naturalistic explanation is available, there is also "real magic" involved too?

Peace
Does an atheist believe that any kind of magic can excists in any case? If no, then an islamic perspective to these things is surely different.
Reply

czgibson
01-24-2016, 01:05 AM
Greetings,

Originally Posted by sister herb
Does an atheist believe that any kind of magic can excists in any case? If no, then an islamic perspective to these things is surely different.
Maybe, or maybe not. Atheism has to do with not believing in God. It has nothing to do with magic.

Perhaps you would like to have another go at answering the question? Up to you.

Peace
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 12:32 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 10:49 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 01:22 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 01:17 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!