/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which Islamic science should you prioritise?

strivingobserver98
01-13-2016, 07:45 PM
The great Ibn al-Jawzi (rh) lists the order that they should be learnt:

1. Hifdh (Quran memorisation)

2. Tafseer (The whole Quran in a moderate way - "not too deeply and not too briefly" rather than a small portion of the Quran in great depth)

3. Arabic grammar and linguistics (Although, might I add, that they already understood Arabic. For non-Arabs, perhaps this should come before tafseer. Hopefully any students of knowledge on my page can correct me if they believe differently)

4. Hadith

5. 'Ilm-ul Rijal (science of the narrators of hadith)

6. The seerah

7. Fiqh

He then states, "As for theology, or kalam, there is no need to delve into it. What is sufficient in this is that one understands the evidences for the existence of the Creator, knows that all attributes of perfection and praise belong to the Creator alone, and that anything other than this is unbefitting of the Creator."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
a.danhamidu
01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Please pardon my asking (I obviously have a lot to learn about the subject here), how come this subject is called "Islamic Science"? I thought sciences were all about measurements and proving-this-proving-that.
I look forward to being educated here. Jazakallah khairan.

LaSorcia
01-14-2016, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by a.danhamidu
Please pardon my asking (I obviously have a lot to learn about the subject here), how come this subject is called "Islamic Science"? I thought sciences were all about measurements and proving-this-proving-that.
I look forward to being educated here. Jazakallah khairan.
I was thinking algebra when I read the thread title. I think it is probably better said as Islamic Studies?

Insaanah
01-14-2016, 10:07 AM
:salam:

I would have thought that aqeedah would come first before anything... unless it is not classified as an Islamic science, or perhaps it is assumed that one will have correct aqeedah as a prerequisite.

Allahu a3lam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
a.danhamidu
01-14-2016, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
I was thinking algebra when I read the thread title. I think it is probably better said as Islamic Studies?
I agree with you

crimsontide06
01-15-2016, 03:07 AM
seerah near the end?? A few stories from the seerah have helped me understand parts of the Quran, more....

ardianto
01-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Arabic and English are two languages that totally different, and translate Arabic word into English without correction can cause inaccuration. Actually the word that used in the original Arabic context is "ilm", or "knowledge which people study it". The word "ilm" indeed can be translated into science because math, physic, medicine, etc, are ilm. But of course, translate ilm into science in context of Islamic knowledge is inaccurate.

ardianto
01-15-2016, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
seerah near the end?? A few stories from the seerah have helped me understand parts of the Quran, more....
When you learn tafseer you must also learn "asbabun nuzul" or cause of revelation behind a verse. When you learn hadith you must also learn "asbab al wurud" or the cause that made Rasulullah said something or did something. Asbabun nuzul and asbab al wurud really help you to understand Qur'an and hadith. Unfortunately there are people who ignore asbabun nuzul and asbab al wurud, it makes their interpretation on Qur'an and hadith become hyper literal.

crimsontide06
01-15-2016, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
When you learn tafseer you must also learn "asbabun nuzul" or cause of revelation behind a verse. When you learn hadith you must also learn "asbab al wurud" or the cause that made Rasulullah said something or did something. Asbabun nuzul and asbab al wurud really help you to understand Qur'an and hadith. Unfortunately there are people who ignore asbabun nuzul and asbab al wurud, it makes their interpretation on Qur'an and hadith become hyper literal.

What is asbabun nuzul and asbab al wurud. I don't know Arabic....

new2010
01-15-2016, 04:25 PM
(...) or cause of revelation behind a verse.
I'm wondering since years how to find out that. Never found a resource.

ardianto
01-15-2016, 04:30 PM
"Asbab" means "cause". "Asbabun Nuzul" (cause of revelation) is event behind revelation of an ayah. While "Asbab al wurd" is event that became the background of a hadith. These two things actually are part of seerah.

ardianto
01-15-2016, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
I'm wondering since years how to find out that. Never found a resource.
Asbabun nuzul is part of tafseer study. Some verses are related to events that happened in that time. Without notice the cause of revelation you will not understand why these verses revealed.

new2010
01-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Asbabun nuzul is part of tafseer study. Some verses are related to events that happened in that time. Without notice the cause of revelation you will not understand why these verses revealed.
:jazak:

LaSorcia
01-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Me either, only about 10 words...

ardianto
01-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Me either, only about 10 words...
I don't speak Arabic. But there are many words in Indonesian language that originally from Arabic. In example "Ilmu" (knowledge) from "Ilm", "sebab" (cause) from "asbab".

crimsontide06
01-15-2016, 06:31 PM
I was going to try out Nouman Ali Khans Arabic learning thing that he does with his child but she is more advanced than me :hmm:...on the 1st video he drew some Arabic words & asked her what it said & she said whatever it was..I was like WOW...lol

Arabic(while beautiful) looks like someone covered their eyes & started randomly drawing lines on a paper, that's how confusing it is to me

I don't speak Arabic. But there are many words in Indonesian language that originally from Arabic. In example "Ilmu" (knowledge) from "Ilm", "sebab" (cause) from "asbab".

new2010
01-15-2016, 07:01 PM
I was going to try out Nouman Ali Khans Arabic learning thing that he does with his child but she is more advanced than me :hmm:...on the 1st video he drew some Arabic words & asked her what it said & she said whatever it was..I was like WOW...lol

Arabic(while beautiful) looks like someone covered their eyes & started randomly drawing lines on a paper, that's how confusing it is to me

So you cannot read Arabic? Nouman Ali Khan has also a course where you can learn pronunciation of the Arabic letters and reading. Try it.

crimsontide06
01-15-2016, 09:35 PM
I dont have the money for that. I had signed up for a few beginner videos that are free.

format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
So you cannot read Arabic? Nouman Ali Khan has also a course where you can learn pronunciation of the Arabic letters and reading. Try it.

ConcealedGem
04-23-2016, 10:18 PM
سبحان الله

جزاك اللهُ خير‎

A Muslim in this dunyah is constantly striving for knowledge for the betterment of their iman which ofcourse pleases Allah azzawajal, purposeful, الحمد لله

may allah allow us to learn in his path successfully, Ameen!

Serinity
04-23-2016, 10:23 PM
I'd say the History of Islam, and especially the Seerah of the Prophet SAW.

I am in love with memorising the Quran tho. :D I really need to read the Seerah to increase my love for the Prophet SAW tho.

Misbah0411
05-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:The need of nations to know what is enjoined and what is forbidden is greater than their need to know the details of issues of belief concerning which belief in general terms is sufficient. As for commands and prohibitions, it is essential to know them in detail, because acting upon commands cannot be achieved unless one knows them in detail; and with regard to prohibited matters that must be avoided, it is essential to be able to distinguish between them and other things. End quote from al-Jawaab as-Saheeh (3/34) And he said: With regard to deeds that are enjoined, what is required concerning them is to do them, and it is not enough to believe in them in general terms. Rather it is essential to learn them in detail. This is in contrast to issues of belief, in which believing in general terms in what the Messenger brought with regard to the divine attributes and issues of the hereafter is sufficient.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.