/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Prophet (Saw) had a sense of humor

strivingobserver98
01-15-2016, 07:54 PM
Once, a man came to the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam), and he needed a camel in order to go on an expedition. So he said, "O Messenger of Allah! I need a mount in order to take me."

To which the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) replied, "Well, I only have a calf [Ar. walad al-naqa - child of a camel] to give you."

The man, astonished since a calf cannot be ridden, said, "And what can I do with a calf?!"

To which the reply was given, "And is not every camel a 'child of another camel'?!"
And he gifted him a camel to ride on. [Reported by Abu Dawud].

In this hadith, we benefit:

- that the Prophet (SAW) had a sense of humor

- that he teased his Companions in a manner that brought friendship and companionship to them

- that it is encouraged and Sunnah to be joyful and of good cheer if done appropriately

- that even in jokes, the Prophet (SAW) never spoke a lie, for the
Arabic used for 'calf' is walad al-naqah, and while the first meaning that comes to mind when one hears this expression in Arabic is a baby camel, technically every camel is a 'walad al-naqah', since it is born of another camel. Hence this was a play on words that had a humorous effect without being untrue.

- the generosity of the Prophet (SAW) and that people knew to come to him for their needs.

May Allah make us joyful, humorous, and generous!

- Yasir Qadhi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.