/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fitnah

suheylah
01-16-2016, 05:09 AM
Al-Azhari said: “The Arabic word fitnah includes meanings of testing and trial. The root is taken from the phrase fatantu al-fiddah wa’l-dhahab (I assayed (tested the quality of) the silver and gold), meaning I melted the metals to separate the bad from the good.

Lane, in his monumental Arabic- English Lexicon, reported that "to burn" is the "primary signification" of the verb.The verb then came to be applied to the smelting of gold and silver. It was extended to mean causing one to enter into fire and into a state of punishment or affliction. Thus, one says that something caused one to enter al-fitna, i.e. trial, affliction, etc., or more generally, an affliction whereby some good or evil quality is put to the test. Lane glosses the noun fitna as meaning a trial, a probation, affliction, distress or hardship, and says that "the sum total of its meaning in the language of the Arabs" is an affliction whereby one is tried, proved or tested.
Our imam covered this topic during khutbah on Friday. He mentioned what is going on currently around the world and all the fitnas around us. He said, just like an Iron-smith would test the quality of the Gold or silver to burn (fitna) them. Allah tests us to see which one of us is best in faith. So, let's be patient through these trials, tribulations, afflictions, tests, temptations etc...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.