/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the context of this Hadith?

Phuzz
01-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Alsalamu Alaikom my brothers and Sisters;

This is my first post, I have registered on this website purposely to ask this question that I could not find a solid answer for online.

While doing my random research, I stumbled upon an article that made me wonder certain things. Regarding this hadith

Sahih Muslim: book 5, volume 2, 2286

Abu Harb b. Abu al-Aswad reported on the authority of his father that Abu Musa al-Ash'ari sent for the reciters of Basra. They came to him and they were three hundred in number. They recited the Qur'an and he said: You are the best among the inhabitants of Basra, for you are the reciters among them. So continue to recite it. (But bear in mind) that your reciting for a long time may not harden your hearts as were hardened the hearts of those before you. We used to recite a surah which resembled in length and severity to (Surah) Bar'at. I have forgotten it with the exception of this which I remember out of it: "If there were two valleys full of riches, for the son of Adam, he would long for a third valley, and nothing would fill the stomach of the son of Adam but dust." And we used so recite a surah which resembled one of the surahs of Musabbihat, and I have forgetten it, but remember (this much) out of it: "O people who believe, why do you say that which you do not practise: (lxi 2.) and "that is recorded in your necks as a witness (against you) and you would be asked about it on the Day of Resurrection" (xvii. 13)

---------------------------------

Please someone explain how a chapter from the Quran could be forgotten? as a Muslim believer, I know there must be a logical explanation for this that I am not aware of, please enlighten me. thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Saleem Khan
01-16-2016, 02:10 PM
I'll look it up, would help if the arabic was given also.. translation doesn't seem accurate.

greenhill
01-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Hope that you'll find other purpose(s) to stay. :statisfie

:peace:

M.I.A.
01-16-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm calling fake now.

Seriously, but give it a couple years.

...authentic chain of narration of forgetting bits.

Couple hundred and they will be the gospels of such and such...couple thousands, I give you some credit

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Phuzz
01-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Sorry Brother here is an original I found online.

حدثني سويد بن سعيد حدثنا علي بن مسهر عن داود عن أبي حرب بن أبي الأسود عن أبيه قال بعث أبو موسى الأشعري إلى قراء أهل البصرة فدخل عليه ثلاث مائة رجل قد قرءوا القرآن فقال أنتم خيار أهل البصرة وقراؤهم فاتلوه ولا يطولن عليكم الأمد فتقسو قلوبكم كما قست قلوب من كان قبلكم وإنا كنا نقرأ سورة كنا نشبهها في الطول والشدة ببراءة فأنسيتها غير أني قد حفظت منها لو كان لابن آدم واديان من مال لابتغى واديا ثالثا ولا يملأ جوف ابن آدم إلا التراب وكنا نقرأ سورة كنا نشبهها بإحدى المسبحات فأنسيتها غير أني حفظت منها يا أيها الذين آمنوا لم تقولون ما لا تفعلون فتكتب شهادة في أعناقكم فتسألون عنها يوم القيامة

Source [ Islamweb ]

Insaanah
01-17-2016, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Phuzz
Please someone explain how a chapter from the Quran could be forgotten? as a Muslim believer, I know there must be a logical explanation for this that I am not aware of, please enlighten me. thank you
:salam: sister, and welcome to the forum,

Firstly, lets see what Allah Himself says about the subject in the Qur'an.

Please someone explain how a chapter from the Quran could be forgotten?
We do not abrogate a verse or cause it to be forgotten except that We bring forth [one] better than it or similar to it. Do you not know that Allah is over all things competent? (Surah al Baqarah, ayah 106)

So Allah Himself, says that parts of the Qur'an, as it was being revealed, before its final form revised by Jibreel :as: with the Prophet :saws: twice in his last Ramadaan, verses were being revealed, recited, and some of those, due to situations, contexts, and in Allah's wisdom, would be abrogated or replaced by other ayaat, and Allah would cause them to forget previous ones that had been abrogated.

And when We substitute a verse in place of a verse - and Allah is most knowing of what He sends down - they say, "You, [O Muhammad], are but an inventor [of lies]." But most of them do not know. (16:101)

Say, [O Muhammad], "The Pure Spirit has brought it down from your Lord in truth to make firm those who believe and as guidance and good tidings to the Muslims." (16:102)

Bearing this in mind, the above hadeeth implies that the verses mentioned in the hadeeth you posted were abrogated, and other hadeeths, recorded in Saheeh al Bukhari, confirm this:

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو نُعَيْمٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ بْنِ الْغَسِيلِ، عَنْ عَبَّاسِ بْنِ سَهْلِ بْنِ سَعْدٍ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ ابْنَ الزُّبَيْرِ، عَلَى الْمِنْبَرِ بِمَكَّةَ فِي خُطْبَتِهِ يَقُولُ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم كَانَ يَقُولُ ‏ "‏ لَوْ أَنَّ ابْنَ آدَمَ أُعْطِيَ وَادِيًا مَلأً مِنْ ذَهَبٍ أَحَبَّ إِلَيْهِ ثَانِيًا، وَلَوْ أُعْطِيَ ثَانِيًا أَحَبَّ إِلَيْهِ ثَالِثًا، وَلاَ يَسُدُّ جَوْفَ ابْنِ آدَمَ إِلاَّ التُّرَابُ، وَيَتُوبُ اللَّهُ عَلَى مَنْ تَابَ ‏"‏‏.‏
وَقَالَ لَنَا أَبُو الْوَلِيدِ حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ ثَابِتٍ، عَنْ أَنَسٍ، عَنْ أُبَىٍّ، قَالَ كُنَّا نَرَى هَذَا مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ حَتَّى نَزَلَتْ ‏{‏أَلْهَاكُمُ التَّكَاثُرُ‏}‏

Narrated Sahl bin Sa`d:

I heard Ibn Az-Zubair who was on the pulpit at Mecca, delivering a sermon, saying, "O men! The Prophet :saws: used to say, "If the son of Adam were given a valley full of gold, he would love to have a second one; and if he were given the second one, he would love to have a third, for nothing fills the belly of Adam's son except dust. And Allah forgives he who repents to Him."

(Sahih al Bukhari 6438)

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الْعَزِيزِ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ سَعْدٍ، عَنْ صَالِحٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِي أَنَسُ بْنُ مَالِكٍ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ لَوْ أَنَّ لاِبْنِ آدَمَ وَادِيًا مِنْ ذَهَبٍ أَحَبَّ أَنْ يَكُونَ لَهُ وَادِيَانِ، وَلَنْ يَمْلأَ فَاهُ إِلاَّ التُّرَابُ، وَيَتُوبُ اللَّهُ عَلَى مَنْ تَابَ ‏"‏‏.‏

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "If Adam's son had a valley full of gold, he would like to have two valleys, for nothing fills his mouth except dust. And Allah forgives him who repents to Him."

(Sahih al Bukhari 6439)

وَقَالَ لَنَا أَبُو الْوَلِيدِ حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ ثَابِتٍ، عَنْ أَنَسٍ، عَنْ أُبَىٍّ، قَالَ كُنَّا نَرَى هَذَا مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ حَتَّى نَزَلَتْ ‏{‏أَلْهَاكُمُ التَّكَاثُرُ‏}‏

'Ubayy said (referring to the hadith above), "We considered this as a saying from the Qur'an till the Surah (beginning with):
"The mutual rivalry (for piling up of worldly things) diverts you' (102:1) was revealed."

(Sahih al Bukhari 6440)

http://www.sunnah.com/bukhari/81/27
http://sunnah.com/bukhari/81/28
http://www.sunnah.com/bukhari/81/29

Also explained here: http://www.letmeturnthetables.com/20...st-verses.html

So it was replaced by surah 102, surah al Takaathur.

Hope that helps a bit.

M.I.A.
01-17-2016, 04:30 PM
An account of it is given in a Hadīth which says that a person tried to recite a sūrah but he couldn’t remember it except for ‘Bismillahi Ar-Rahmān Al-Rahīm’ so next morning he came to the Holy Prophet (صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ) to ask about it and similarly some other people also as the same happened to them as well. So the Holy Prophet (صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ) said in response:
This was abrogated yesterday

Ok, I stand corrected.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.