View Full Version : why is chess haram?

BilalKid
01-23-2016, 11:15 PM
waste time, other reasons?? ^o)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
01-24-2016, 01:24 AM
Is it haram?

If it is, it surely is not for just being a waste of time?

:peace:

Scimitar
01-24-2016, 01:40 AM
I really doubt chess is haram bro lol.

Scimi

Zafran
01-24-2016, 03:21 AM
the Salafi Ulema in Saudi Arabia has called it haram - The Guardian had a recent article on it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ia-grand-mufti

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strivingobserver98
01-24-2016, 03:30 AM
:sl:

Interesting perspective by brother Ismail Kamdar:

Another area where there are a lot of questions is when it comes to games and two types of games: board games and video games. The ruling for both is the same. The ruling for both is that the content would make it permissible or prohibited. Those board games which are generally for gambling will not be permissible. If you are playing those same games without any gambling involved, then too the scholars have ruled it to be makrūh (disliked) as it is one of those things that leads to gambling, so it is better to stay away from such games.

One of the games that crops up often is playing the game of chess. Many scholars have ruled chess to be ḥarām while others have ruled it to be permissible. From my study of the evidences and arguments used, I honestly believe that the playing of chess is permissible with the conditions I mentioned earlier that it does not constitute too much of your time and it does not lead to other prohibited things, etc. and whatever I mentioned earlier as being the conditions for a form of entertainment to be permissible. In my view, this applies to chess as well. In itself, it seems to be a harmless game to me. The evidences I have seen against it are either weak or mistranslated or even at times misunderstood.

For example, in one of the books of fiqh, one of the scholars of the madh-habs said, “There is no good in chess,” so some scholars took this as a prohibition of chess. The wording of this statement is not saying it is ḥarām, but it is just saying that there is no reward in it. It doesn't necessarily make it ḥarām, it is just saying there is no reward and no good in it. Allāh knows best. My opinion is that the game of chess is permissible.
Source: http://muslimmatters.org/2011/11/11/...ismail-kamdar/

Also read post 15 on this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...ames-dice.html

The shaykh mentions there:

However, playing chess is permissible only if the following three conditions are met:

1. One should not get so absorbed in it that he delays his salat; chess is well-known to be a stealer of time.
2. There should be no gambling involved.
3. The players should not utter obscenities or vulgarities.
If any of these conditions are not met it should be considered as haram.

Mashura
01-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Frankly I've heard in a lecture by Sheikh Salem Al Amry who translated Nardasheen as Backgammon and not chess. In fact he encouraged chess as long as it didn't lead to wastage of time. But at the same time the following fatwa was issued in Islamqa.com by sheikh Saleh al Munajjid...

Ruling on playing chess

I wana ask if chess(the type played now a days)is allowed in islam or not?
Published Date: 2002-01-09

Praise be to Allaah. “When chess distracts us from what we are obliged to do both inwardly and outwardly, it is haraam according to the consensus of the scholars – such as when it distracts from an obligatory duty such as prayer or anything that is necessary in the interests of oneself or one’s family, or enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil, or upholding ties of kinship or honouring one’s parents, or any obligations connected to positions of authority or leadership, etc.

In this case it is haraam according to the consensus of the scholars. Similarly, if it involves anything that is haraam such as telling lies, swearing false oaths, cheating, wrongdoing or helping in wrongdoing, or other forbidden things, then it is haraam according to the consensus of the Muslims.” (Adapted from Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 32/218, 240).

But if it does not distract us from our obligations or involve anything that is haraam, then there is a difference of scholarly opinion concerning the ruling. The majority of scholars (Abu Haneefah, Maalik, Ahmad and some of the companions of al-Shaafa’i) said that it is also haraam, basing that view on the evidence of the Book of Allaah and the opinions of the Sahaabah.

The evidence of the Qur’aan is the words (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab [stone altars set up for sacrifices to idols etc], and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.
Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As-Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90-91]

Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This aayah indicates that it is haraam to play dice or chess, whether that involves gambling or not, because when Allaah forbade alcohol He explained the reason for that, which is ‘Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As-Salaah (the prayer).’ So every kind of game in which a little leads to a lot and stirs up enmity and hatred between those who are devoted to it and prevents them from remembering Allaah and praying, is like drinking alcohol, which implies that it must be haraam like alcohol.” (al-Jaami’ li Ahkaam al-Qur’aan, 6/291).

With regard to the views of the Sahaabah:
It was narrated that ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) passed by some people who were playing chess. He said, “What are these images, to which you are devoted? [cf. al-Anbiya’ 21:52]” Imaam Ahmad said: “The soundest comment on chess what that which was said by ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him).”
‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked about chess and he said, “It is worse than dice.”

“Dice” refers to what is used nowadays for playing backgammon, which is played on a special table. It was narrated in the ahaadeeth that it is haraam.
Abu Dawood (4938) narrated from Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays dice has disobeyed Allaah and His Messenger.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 4129)

Muslim (2260) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays dice is like one who has dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig.” Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This hadeeth is quoted as evidence by al-Shaafa’i and the majority of scholars to prove that playing dice is haraam. The phrase ‘dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig’ refers to eating it, and this simile is used to show that this is haraam because it is haraam to eat that.”

What some of the scholars have said about the prohibition of chess:

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Chess is like dice in that it is forbidden.” (al-Mughni, 14/155),

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The evil consequences of chess are greater than the evil consequences of dice. Everything that points to the prohibition of dice points to the prohibition of chess even more so… This is the view of Maalik and his companions, of Abu Haneefah and his companions, of Ahmad and his companions, and the view of the majority of the Taabi’een… It is not known that any of the Sahaabah permitted it or played it.

Allaah protected them from that. Everything that is attributed to any of them and says that he played it – such as Abu Hurayrah – is a fabrication and lie against the Sahaabah and is rejected by anyone who knows how the Sahaabah really were and by anyone who has sufficient knowledge to examine the reports critically. How could the best generation and the best of mankind after the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) permit playing something that prevents people from remembering Allaah and from praying, and is worse in this regard than alcohol when the player gets immersed in it, as we see in real life? How could the Lawgiver forbid dice but permit chess, which is many times worse?…” (al-Furoosiyah, 303, 305, 311).

Al-Dhahabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “With regard to chess, most of the scholars say that it is haraam to play it, whether that is for money or not. If it is played for money then it is indisputably gambling. Even if it is not played for money it is still gambling and haraam, according to most of the scholars… al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about playing chess, is it forbidden or permissible? He (may Allaah have mercy on him) replied that if it makes a person miss praying on time or he plays for money, then it is haraam, otherwise it is makrooh according to al-Shaafa’i and haraam according to others…” (al-Kabaa’ir, 89-90).

For more information see Tahreem al-Nard wa’l-Shatranj wa’l-Malaahi by al-Aajurri, ed. By Muhammad Sa’eed Idrees.

And Allaah knows best. We ask Allaah to help us to do that which He loves and which pleases Him, and to help us to obey Him.

May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

I personally avoid anything which comes under doubtful matters. and it's not like it's a life threatening issue. I've heard from sheikh Salem Al Amry that anything which any of the 4 imams have disputed over, one should try his or her best to stay on the safe side. And Allaah knows best.

“On the authority of Abu Abdullah al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer (may Allah be pleased with them both) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say, ‘That which is lawful is clear, and that which is unlawful is clear, and between the two of them are doubtful [or ambiguous] matters about which not many people are knowledgeable. Thus, he who avoids these doubtful matters certainly clears himself in regard to his religion and honour. But he who falls into the doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like a shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Verily every king has a sanctuary and Allah’s sanctuary is His prohibitions. In the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be sound, all of the body is sound and which, if it be diseased, all of the body is diseased. This part of the body is the heart.” (Recorded in Bukhari and Muslim)

Mashura
01-24-2016, 08:16 AM
With all due respect brother Scimi, in Islaam we have been told to only engage in anything which is beneficial to our imaan. I mean a lot of times I even think that my casual frivolous poems are really on dangerous border lines. And the scholars who are quoted above by Sheikh Munajjid are not today's men rather they are among the four great imaam. So, I would take them seriously. And, Allaah knows best.

Khalid Saifullah
01-24-2016, 09:38 AM
There is an explicit hadith prohibiting it and back gammon

It was the favourite pass time of the Persians. It promotes evil qualities such as treachery, trickery; fraud and mind manipulation.

azc
01-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Playing ChessIn the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.AnswerIt is severely disliked and a grave sin to play chess. The reason is that playing chess wastes a lot of time and distracts one from his or her religious and worldly obligations (Hidayah p.475 v.2)Saaiduna Abu Musa Al-Ashari Radiallahu Anhu has said, “Only a sinner plays chess” (Baihaqi in his Shuab al-Iman)Only Allah Knows BestMohammed Tosir MiahDarul Ifta Birmingham

sister herb
01-24-2016, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
the Salafi Ulema in Saudi Arabia has called it haram - The Guardian had a recent article on it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ia-grand-mufti
But not all Muslims in the world follow Salafi ulema´s fatwas anyways. Why they should follow this one? Aren´t same scholars also forbid women´s right to drive a car?

Mashura
01-24-2016, 04:30 PM
sister herb you are comparing apples and oranges. If you read the fatwa that I've quoted on top it specifically clarifies that the four imams were against it also. Nothing about the modern salafi groups.

M.I.A.
01-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Start reading around 3:138

It's what the thread reminded me of.

And these days [of varying conditions] We alternate among the people so that Allah may make evident those who believe and [may] take to Himself from among you martyrs - and Allah does not like the wrongdoers -

BlueOwl358
01-25-2016, 12:14 PM
I don't see how any of this makes sense. I don't like Chess, it isn't that strategic and is very limiting. Go is more fun.

But chess by itself doesn't have any of this stuff. A thing which may result in gambling doesn't automatically become sinful. People bet on archery matches but that doesn't make non-gambling matches Haram. The Prophet (pbuh) encouraged archery. How does it become Haram just because of the potential.

It doesn't even waste that much time. Anything that uses up time can be called a waste of time, but chess actually increases the person's ability at thinking, just like any other game, and to focus on multiple pieces at once, at the same time as predicting the opponent's moves.

There is no deception, no fraud. Everything is on the board, in front of the players. No one even needs to say anything besides Check-mate. Hiding behind a real door and not doing anything else is more deceptive since you are actually hiding yourself. There isn't even any dice. What other points are even there in this problem? I see no reasonable reason that chess can't be played.

ardianto
01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Definition of haram is, if someone do it, then he get sin. But, does play chess automatically cause sin like zina or drinking alcohol?. No!. This is why mostly of ulama in Indonesia disagree with fatwa that say chess is haram. Ulama in Indonesia just classify playing chess as makruh, or disliked. And this is understandable if it refer to the time of Salaf.

In that time, chess as popular game caused effect that not different than video game nowadays, made people prefer to delay salah rather than pause the game, made people neglect daily work because spent the time too much for playing chess, etc.

This is why there are ulama who allow ummah play chess with condition, without beting, does not make someone leave or delay salah, does not make someone neglect daily work, etc.

M.I.A.
01-25-2016, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BlueOwl358
I don't see how any of this makes sense. I don't like Chess, it isn't that strategic and is very limiting. Go is more fun.

But chess by itself doesn't have any of this stuff. A thing which may result in gambling doesn't automatically become sinful. People bet on archery matches but that doesn't make non-gambling matches Haram. The Prophet (pbuh) encouraged archery. How does it become Haram just because of the potential.

It doesn't even waste that much time. Anything that uses up time can be called a waste of time, but chess actually increases the person's ability at thinking, just like any other game, and to focus on multiple pieces at once, at the same time as predicting the opponent's moves.

There is no deception, no fraud. Everything is on the board, in front of the players. No one even needs to say anything besides Check-mate. Hiding behind a real door and not doing anything else is more deceptive since you are actually hiding yourself. There isn't even any dice. What other points are even there in this problem? I see no reasonable reason that chess can't be played.

...very limited, reminds me of why I gave up video games.

Soo frustrating.. When your k/d ratio starts falling.

And Gran tursimo loading times.

Knock knock.

InToTheRain
01-25-2016, 02:45 PM
:salam:

According to Imam Al-Dhahabi(RA) and Imam Nawawi(RA):

Al-Dhahabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “With regard to chess, most of the scholars say that it is haraam to play it, whether that is for money or not. If it is played for money then it is indisputably gambling. Even if it is not played for money it is still gambling and haraam, according to most of the scholars… al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about playing chess, is it forbidden or permissible? He (may Allaah have mercy on him) replied that if it makes a person miss praying on time or he plays for money, then it is haraam, otherwise it is makrooh according to al-Shaafa’i and haraam according to others…” (al-Kabaa’ir, 89-90).

It was narrated that ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) passed by some people who were playing chess. He said, “What are these images, to which you are devoted? [cf. al-Anbiya’ 21:52]” Imaam Ahmad said: “The soundest comment on chess what that which was said by ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him).”
Ofcourse, no one here really cares about chess (I thinK!) but rather the implications it can have on other activities (playing games, watching movies and animes) . Or is it just me :hiding:

Also rational thought has it's limits. For example the consumption of a droplet of Alcohol is Haram even though we can say that the person involved in having the drop will not lose their senses, be a danger to others or be addicted from a drop in a bottle of water; regardless it's still Haram. Although logically Shariah law has always emphasized the importance of prevention of Fitna so it's understandable why Chess would be classed Haram by Ulema or Disliked in Shafi Madhab. I guess all chess lovers now going to follow the Shafi Madhab :p

Though it maybe hard to understand why there is a such a strict rule. Better to stay away from it.

More on this:

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/8549
http://www.muftisays.com/qa/question/1991/chess.html

About limits on Rational Thought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gjp3hCCTwc

ardianto
01-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Just want to inform, chess is not banned in Saudi Arabia. They have chess association and chess competition.

http://www.saudichess.com/

Muhammad
01-25-2016, 03:11 PM
:wasalamex

If we come across an Islamic ruling/opinion which we don't understand, we should not be making comments such as, 'it doesn't make sense,' or immediately questioning the quality of scholarship. It may well be supported by Qur'an and Hadeeth, and by the understanding of numerous scholars, so we should control what we say in case we say something very displeasing to Allaah :swt:. Yes, we can strive to get a correct and balanced understanding of the issue, but let us not forget our manners towards this deen in the process. We won't understand the wisdom behind each and every ruling, but as long as we know it is from Allaah :swt: and His Messenger :saws: that is sufficient for us.

Let us leave this discussion here.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.