/* */

PDA

View Full Version : List the gelatin candies!

Finding Peace
01-29-2016, 05:40 AM
I just found out that I've been eating a candy (fruit snacks) that has gelatin. I thought it was just made with fruit. Will it count bad for me, or do I get a pass because I didn't know. And not that I agree, I'm against it, but what should I tell muslim brothers and sisters who think it's ok, because it's not really like eating pork? They say it's just an extract. And list any candies that have gelatin please. And may Allah reward you all for taking the time to acknowledge us all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ReboundMuslimah
01-29-2016, 06:19 AM
Gummy bears is an obvious one[emoji93]

strivingobserver98
01-29-2016, 07:13 AM
:sl:

It's always important we read the back of the sweets before buying for our children. Some of them say "Suitable for Vegetarians" which most of the time is halal :).

Here's a few I can remember with Gelatin:

- Drumsticks
- Skittles
- Marsh mellows
- Starbursts
- Haribo's (You can buy Halal Haribo's though as an alternative)
- Jello

sister herb
01-29-2016, 09:03 AM
One more reason to make candies by yourself - you know what you eat.

Note - 3 vegetarian substitutes for gelatine: http://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-...-kitchn-189478

Depending of the food/dessert/candy recipe you can also use fruit-derived pectin, potato flour, corn starch, eggs, sugar...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The-Deist
01-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Gelatin builds muscle.

sister herb
01-29-2016, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by StrivingforDeen
Gelatin builds muscle.
There are also halal ways to build muscles.

M.I.A.
01-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Not really gelatine but the colouring made from beetles is also something to look out for.

Carmine/cochineal E120 is not suitable.

Now for the good news. New packets of skittles no longer contain e120.. Because its too hard to spell..

No I'm kidding but skittles are probably OK now, new stock anyway.. Says suitable for vegetarians in the ingredients.

Finding Peace
01-29-2016, 09:37 PM
I heard hot fries but some people say they don't have gelatin. Do they?

strivingobserver98
01-29-2016, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lady of peace
I heard hot fries but some people say they don't have gelatin. Do they?
Do you mean these?:

Don't see any Gelatin listed in ingredients. Best to contact their company for clarification.

Finding Peace
01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Yes those. I think I heard a friend's mom called and they said they do, but they don't list it. I'm not sure. And yeah I'll do that. Thank you (:
May Allah reward you. Alhamdiallah

hisnameiszzz
01-29-2016, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
:sl:

It's always important we read the back of the sweets before buying for our children. Some of them say "Suitable for Vegetarians" which most of the time is halal :).

Here's a few I can remember with Gelatin:

- Drumsticks
- Skittles
- Marsh mellows
- Starbursts
- Haribo's (You can buy Halal Haribo's though as an alternative)
- Jello
Not Skittles. I am sure they are suitable for vegetarians, or at least I hope they are.

I think it's OK if you didn't know it was not suitable for a Muslim, but like someone else pointed out, always read the labels. If it doesn't say SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS, don't buy it. Also keep an eye for the beetle shells they put in for colouring.

The following have gelatine in them as far as I can recall:

Black Jacks
Fruit Salad
Mento's
Fruit Pastilles
Fruit Gums

Finding Peace
01-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Goodness I had mentos before. Thanks for posting this, and what is this beetle shells?

hisnameiszzz
01-29-2016, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lady of peace
Goodness I had mentos before. Thanks for posting this, and what is this beetle shells?
Mento's used to be OK for vegetarians. I loved the fruit ones, but then recently the V (suitable for vegetarian sign) disappeared on them.

Is it cochineal or cocachel or something like that. They squish beetles to get the red colouring from them to make sweets / desserts red. Most of the Mulller / Ski / Actimel / Danone yogurts that are red, i.e. strawberry / cherry do not have a V on them. They contain squished bugs in them. Just bear this in mind. Whenever I go shopping for desserts, I never get the strawberry ones as they are rarely suitable for vegetarians.

And thanks for this thread. Much appreciated.

Finding Peace
01-29-2016, 10:38 PM
What!!! That's disgusting. :O
And Ok I'll do that. Thank you and may Allah reward you for taking the time to write all of this.

strivingobserver98
01-29-2016, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
Not Skittles. I am sure they are suitable for vegetarians, or at least I hope they are.
This is from 2014, maybe they changed ingredients by now.

Are Skittles Halal or Haram?

UK Skittles contain E120 which is Haram

E120 is Cochineal, Carmine, Carminic acid (E120)

Carmine is the name of the colour pigment obtained from the insect Dactylopius coccus (old name Coccus cacti), that lives on cacti from the genus Opuntia. The insect is native to tropical South and Central America and produces the pigment as a deterrent against other insects. The pigment can be obtained from the body and eggs of the insect. It is still used as an organic ant-repellent.

This is a Haram ingredient in this product and not suitable for vegetarians

Answered By: Shaykh Asif
http://halal-or-haram.com/blog/2014/...kittles-haram/

strivingobserver98
01-30-2016, 08:41 PM
Let the kids know about this one :ia:.

Milkybar Dessert:

Contains PORK GELATINE.

hisnameiszzz
01-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Oh that's gross with that dessert you just pointed out.

I stay well away from Nestlé products because we all know where some of their profits go! I'll only ever get a Nestlé product if they are giving them away for free as in vouchers in magazines for free items. I wouldn't spend money on their products ever!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.