/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How can Sham or Hijaz be the most devout regions?

Temporary
02-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Hey,

I'm not Muslim but I've been studying the religion recently. I've seen a couple of hadiths which drew my attention, and would like to hear your opinions on them. First is Sahih Muslim 1:95:

"The callousness of heart and sternness is in the East and faith is among the people of the Hijaz."

So, Hijazis are the most pious Muslims, according to this? That doesn't really seem to be the case currently as present-day Hijazis are known to be the least devout Muslims in Saudi Arabia and are quite lax with their practices. There's lots of haram going on there, alcohol, drug trafficking, women not really following hijab (once they leave the country). Its is certainly not the most religious part of the Muslim world. Did I understand this hadith wrong? Also, what does East specifically refer to?

Second is from Jami al Tirmidhi:
"If the people of Shaam become corrupt, there is no good in you."

Well, people from Shaam are not really the most upright Muslims either. Dramascus and Beirut are filled with nightclubs. Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan... all of these used to be very secular, only recently have prople here become more religious again, but are still behind many other Muslim countries. Politically and socially, the area is in turmoil. I would say it is quite safe to claim Sham is corrupted at the moment. But according to this hadith, should the whole Ummah be completely corrupted now as well?
As a side note, don't these hadiths contradict each other? Both seem to claim different regions as the "cradle of Islam".

Thanks, interested to get some more insight

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyah3
02-04-2016, 08:25 AM
I am not the most knowledgeable member of the forum to give responses in matters of ahadith. However, just wanted to welcome you here. Generally speaking on the matter...

Nationality has nothing to do with our closeness to Allah swt. Muslims come from different countries, colors and races around the globe. Our success in the Hereafter is based entirely on our faith and deeds -- do you obey God, how you treat others, honor your parents and keep good relations with your neighbors, do you help the needy, speak the truth, follow good manners, don't harm others and so on...

Welcome to the forum. :)

Zamtsa
07-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Surely that you interpret the sentence "... there is no good in you " , wrongly .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.