/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Principles of Islam

Linkdeutscher
02-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):

1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Messenger (ﷺ).
2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.
3. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) .
4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)
5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/2/1

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
02-04-2016, 12:25 AM
This topic has never really sat comfortably on my shoulders for as long as I came to learn about it...

I am often told about this and in the vast majority of the cases it is left with just the 5 principles. Sometimes they also add the 6 articles of faith. (About Allah, the Angels, The Books, Qiyamah, Qada and Qadar, The prophets).

When I look at the details of the entire list, only one aspect relates to other than our 'taqwa'. That is zakat (where we do something for the community).

This brings me to question that surely there must be some guidelines simplified into a list like the 5 principles of islam and the 6 articles of faith for muslim conduct?

For example, the saying about a 'true' believer is "one who would wish for his neighbor what he would wish for himself". That is the selfless spirit, and to forgive (being forgiving and patient)... I mean, there are a host more 'islamic' qualities needing to be ingrained into a person and I personally feel that just the 5 pillars is not enough if we do not acknowledge that it must also work hand in hand with our duties here on earth.

Just making a point.

:peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.