/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Muslims experience beauty of Islam at East London Mosque

Glac09
02-09-2016, 10:53 PM

Khadiza Shahid spoke to non-Muslims who visited East London Mosque on Sunday as part of Visit My Mosque Day. They told her that the experience changed their perceptions about Muslims and helped break down barriers between communities.

The young local woman could have passed as just another Muslim. Dressed in loose western attire, Nyree Scales agreed to East London Mosque’s request to cover her hair with a maroon scarf as she entered the main prayer hall to satisfy her curiosity to learn about Islam, having regularly heard the mosque’s call to prayer.

She listened attentively as the tour guides explained the layout of the hall and how the prayer was performed in congregation during which worshippers from all walks of life stand shoulder to shoulder regardless of race.

Non Muslims visit East London Mosque
Non Muslims visit East London Mosque
With countless opportunities to pose questions, Nyree confidently enquired about Muslims’ belief in jinns. Her tour guide Juber Hussein explained that Muslims believe in the existence of spirits or supernatural creatures that cannot be seen, quite like those portrayed in the movie Paranormal Activity.

While Nyree did feel she had some preconceived ideas about Islam, those preconceptions disappeared as she left the mosque.

“Much of the media representations don’t seem to be true to reality. I’ve noticed more hostility elsewhere than here [in Tower Hamlets]”, she said. “What the British assume is that Muslims are an enclosed group and outsiders aren’t pure. This event proved otherwise. I thought it wouldn’t be as great for me because I’m a woman but the Muslim women I’ve met here are strong. They showed that the concept of the submissive wife isn’t accurate.”

More...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
02-10-2016, 07:23 PM
This is always good to see. There is a mosque not far from where I live that I have taken many of my non-Muslim friends to in order to break their misperceptions about Muslims. There is an Imam there who I have gotten to know well and who is always inviting me to bring more people through there. I don't think any of them are inclined to become Muslims, but every single one of them has broken a few misconceptions. The media really is biased against Muslims, to the point that many non-muslim people don't realize the misperceptions in their minds.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.