/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to major in...

Mustafa16
02-23-2016, 07:54 PM
I am 16, and a brother, and I am in the 11th grade, and I still have no idea what I want to major in.... On the one hand, I want to earn enough money to get married, on the other hand I want to major in something I'm fascinated in....but what I am fascinated in normally does not earn much money, i.e., politics, history, religion (mostly Islam), philosophy, literature (even though I don't read, its my favorite class).....my dad suggests I major in something technical and minor in something I enjoy, that way I can have back up....I was considering becoming an imam or sheikh, but I don't think I'm pious enough, or have enough people skills for that (I have autism). also, it doesn't pay well....I wanted to major in literature education, but people tell me I am not patient enough to become a teacher, except of college students....I want to major in sociology, but again, unemployment and low pay.....I was considering economics in the 10th grade, but am not that interested anymore and I hear unemployment is high.....I could study comparative religion, but again, no good pay, not enough jobs......my best bet right now looks like economics, but like I said, I lost interest, and unemployment is high......i even considered blue collar work, but people say im not physically strong enough for that, and that id be wasting my potential (im book smart) what should I do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BilalKid
02-24-2016, 01:19 AM
me had same problem :hmm:

http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...tudy-deen.html

*charisma*
02-24-2016, 06:21 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Don't let other define what you can and can't do. You alone are aware of your own abilities. It seems that you like a bit of everything, so I think you'd be great as a teacher.

azc
02-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Consult your parents.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
02-24-2016, 03:17 PM
This is the thing.

And seeing as we ARE on an islamic forum, let's ask some questions. I can only say up front, this is non mainstream and as a parent myself, I feel that it is 'unknown' territory.

First question is, do you trust Allah?
Second, what do you NEED of this world?
Third, how to earn an honest living.
Fourth, how can you serve?

On the first, Allah is The Provider, The Dispenser of Affairs, and many other names depicting Him as the Caretaker of all His creations. So, Allah has apportioned for you your lot and for me, mine. We have to strive, search and serve in the way that Allah commands. Then what you suddenly realised is that you actually need very little. It's what you want is unreasonable. That is the social media and advertising for you. If you could refocus the thoughts towards the path of Allah, you'll never sell yourself short as you won't be making chasing worldly gains as your goal. That way, earning an honest living gives the peace of mind. Then you can serve, in syaa Allah you will be freer from the worldly hang ups or materialism and status.

On your career path I'd suggest you look in the direction of the likes of Occupational Health and Safety, Quality Control, areas where dealing with people is not a direct thing, but more on processes or products kind of thing.

Allahu alem.

:peace:

greenhill
02-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Ha ha actually I toned down my points as I one finger typed my post... and painfully wait for the words to appear lagging by many seconds plus the auto correct keeps changing words.

Hence the end of my post above is not quite in-keeping with the start :facepalm:

:peace:

Amatullah~
02-24-2016, 08:29 PM
:salam:

I suggest you pray Istikhara and Allah :swt1: will guide you towards what's best for you. Try praying it :ia:

Serinity
02-24-2016, 08:46 PM
:salam:

Make education an ibadah, by starting with audhu billahi minash shaytaani rajeem, bismillahi rahmani raheem, peace and blessings be upon the prophet Muhammad SAW, I hereby commence my studies....

crookedrib
02-25-2016, 03:06 AM
Salaam Alaykum

I'm having the same problem right now actually. My advice is to do something you like as long as it's halal. You don't want to be studying/working in something you despise, it'll make your life miserable.

Personally, I'm also thinking of studying Literature education/Applied Linguistics even though I'm not really a big fan of English. I do want study in depth arabic though. This way, it'll be easier for me to get a halal job (teaching English) in Muslim countries as well as having the opportunity to learn the deen in shaa Allah. I don't really plan on working but it's good to have as a back up in case something happens.

But since you're a man, aka the provider of the family, you have to make sure you have a decent stable job. Look for something that can benefit you in both this life and the next.

But first and foremost, before you make any decisions you should pray istikhaarah and ask for Allah's guidance as sister Amatullah said.

I wish you all the best, khayr in shaa Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.