/* */

PDA

View Full Version : have you ever experienced islamophobia?

BilalKid
03-01-2016, 11:25 PM
if yes, what happen?? ^o)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The-Deist
03-02-2016, 07:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
if yes, what happen?? ^o)
I have experienced Ex-islamophobia maybe xD

Finding Peace
03-02-2016, 07:28 AM
One time when my grandpa came to visit. Him and my mom went for a walk and they were talking in Arabic, my mom was wearing abaya, they stopped at a corner, then this guy (white) came out yelling at them, saying get out of my property and things.

Onetime when my mom went to Costco with my grandpa, they were walking and this guy (white) gave them this ugly look and said "Ugh what are you doing here" my mom said "this isn't your dad's store" but she said it in Arabic he didn't understand.

To put it out there I have nothing against white people and so my family. I'm sorry if I offened you, it was not my intention. We love all mankind. And we don't judge all of a race for what a few said. We've met the good in all races. We all came from one so we are all one. Peace to the world. ☺✌

Abz2000
03-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Dunno about phobia, i've experienced the anti-Islamic ignorance and hatred that the corrupt warmongering politicians whipped up through the docile corrupt media.
The stats were easy to sift since it was about racism until they decided to invade Muslim majority countries, was never about way of life in my father's days, (thatcher and pre-thatcher).Ultimately, there's good in it due to the amount of publicity and consideration it evokes. Racism was just blank.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BilalKid
03-05-2016, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
corrupt warmongering politicians
which politician?? ^o)

Abz2000
03-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Bush, blair, karzai, mahmoud abbas, gordon brown, david cameron, barrak obama, what hole have you been living in?

ardianto
03-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Bush, blair, karzai, mahmoud abbas, gordon brown, david cameron, barrak obama, what hole have you been living in?
But when did you met those figures and got personal experience of Islamophobia?.

sister herb
03-05-2016, 12:29 PM
For those ones we can blame about everything. But why Mahmoud Abbas is on the list? He is Muslim himself. How a Muslim can spread Islamophobia against Muslims? Or Karzai?

M.I.A.
03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Not really no, I have had friends of all ethnic backgrounds and business dealings with all also.

In my personal experience I have had more agro.. Lol.. With people of similar ethnic background than other non minorities.

I have also lived in predominantly non Muslim towns with little trouble.

I'm exactly the opposite of intimidating if that counts towards or against me.

But for the most part I have not wronged anyone or been ignorant of my surroundings which probably accounts for something.. Or at least should do.

I am extremely greatful.

All praise is due to Allah swt..

Although it is very easy to forget sometimes.

..and I do not know what the measure of success is.

ardianto
03-05-2016, 02:56 PM
If you want to meet Mahmoud Abbas you can go to Jakarta right now. I heard he already arrived, and will attend in OIC (Organization of Islamic Cooperation) conference about Palestine that will be held tomorrow. The conference itself held in Jakarta due to request from Mahmoud Abbas, regarding to brotherhood between Indonesia and Palestine.

Abz2000
03-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah, and nouri al maliki too.

I don't think most of the people of iraq met bush either, but yes, they felt the Islamophobia too.
And i don't think most people in Germany met hitler personally either.

sister herb
03-05-2016, 04:23 PM
I don´t think we could call the western policy as islamophobia. Behind of it are the same elements like every rulers - westerner, "islamic" or some others, like lust for power, getting raw materials cheaply, spreading own country´s political and economical influence etc. Phobia or simply hate isn´t normally any aim to make the international policy.

SSHorror
03-05-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm not Muslim but the internet seems to be rife with this. Visit any news article on ISIS or any YouTube video and it's filled with many commentors talking as if every Muslim is a terrorist.

Scimitar
03-06-2016, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
But when did you met those figures and got personal experience of Islamophobia?.
Living in London - it happens when you see the papers, the news, the conversations at work...and a whole host of other things.

Thankfully, where I live it's quite diverse and everyone feels like an outcast so yeah :) it's all good.

Scimi

hisnameiszzz
03-06-2016, 02:22 PM
It happens quite regularly. I don't look or dress like a Muslim when I go to work so I don't get it much. But when I go out with my Mom who wears a scarf and tradition Muslim clothes, we have had abuse and dodgy looks. Once a bunch of elderly white ladies laid into us giving us the usual Paki and Terrorist rubbish. I came close to retaliating but my Mom said let them spout rubbish for they are wasting their breath. It's not gonna make any difference to me she said.

People at work often come out with some stupid comments because they know I am a Muslim. Quite recently someone's Dad died and she was asking if Muslim men took all the inheritance and left women out of it because that's what she read online. Bless her. Lol.

With regards to Prime Ministers and Presidents being Islamophobic, I think they are. They bring in all these harsh crazy rules for Muslims and everyone else gets away with murder. For instance, if the authorities think you are a terrorist they can storm your house, search and arrest if you are a Muslim. Yet rules like these were never brought in for Irish terrorists from the I R A. Hmmm. Go figure.

Rapunzel
03-06-2016, 10:35 PM
I remember this one time a random guy on the street came up to me, making disguisting islamophobic comments. And then tried to hit me with a chair.

M.I.A.
03-06-2016, 10:42 PM
I got spat on walking home late at night..

Ended up in a headlock next to a zebra crossing..thankfully me doing the headlocking!

Imma let you go but don't do it again..

Ok.

Both get up and walk off in different directions.

Could have been worse.

Upsetting.

Although I hope it doesn't count against me.

The-Deist
03-07-2016, 07:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel
I remember this one time a random guy on the street came up to me, making disguisting islamophobic comments. And then tried to hit me with a chair.
Where did he get a chair?

Rapunzel
03-07-2016, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by StrivingforDeen
Where did he get a chair?
It happend outside a restaurant/terrace, so he grabbed a chair from there.

BilalKid
03-11-2016, 10:48 PM
It happend outside a restaurant/terrace, so he grabbed a chair from there.
police come?? :nervous:

LaSorcia
03-12-2016, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
For those ones we can blame about everything. But why Mahmoud Abbas is on the list? He is Muslim himself. How a Muslim can spread Islamophobia against Muslims? Or Karzai?

Because shaytan often tries to destroy believers from within the ummah. :( Not saying that this person is bad, I don't even know him. But I have experienced evil trying to cause discord within the community of believers from inside the community.

LaSorcia
03-12-2016, 12:12 AM
That's disgusting. I'm both sorry and angry that a man attacked a woman like this and that a non-believer attacked a believer. What kind of man thinks he is making progress for whatever he believes in by attacking a woman?? Pathetic.

crimsontide06
03-18-2016, 01:56 AM
There was this guy who called me a terrorist in high school...

Now he suddenly in the last few months has changed his name to a girl name, has long blonde hair, dresses in girl clothes, wears lipstick and has had sugrery on the way to becoming a "woman."

Now he posts how Trump is a bigot....etc. o_O

ardianto
03-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Since I live in Muslim majority country I never experienced Islamophobia. But I found a kind of worry among non-Muslims if they must live in area that full of 'conservative' Muslims. I know it from conversation with few of my non-Muslim friends.

HappyMuslimaa
06-07-2016, 11:51 AM
I had an advisor at my university and they were so amazing and helpful and eager to help me, they always smiled and made conversation about classes or whatever when we passed eachother on campus etc. Bottomline was this person was great.
After I reverted (it was obvious, as I am a female and I decided to wear the veil) I was never contacted by this advisor, and during one of the meetings I had set up, this person did a complete 180. The entire time they stared with this ice cold face, did not say one single word to me and barely made eye-contact. They only nodded their head and hardly helped me with the issues the meeting was considering. I kept up my usual friendly approach, even if I passed them on campus they would give me this stink eye and abruptly stormed by as if they were trying to voice their disapproval.
No hateful words were thrown but it was so blatantly obvious that it did shock me. If this was not a business/teacher/student/career relationship or environment I am sure opinions would have been voiced. I ended up getting a new advisor due to neglect and the lack of ANY communication with my previous advisor.

To this day I cannot believe that a person could be so two-faced towards something and have such a disrespectful, to say the least, reaction to another persons choices.

Another occasion I was at a family picnic by this lake and me and a sister went down to skip rocks. As we made our way down, there were a few people on the other side fishing and one of them was sort of near and the group shouted at the lone person "They're coming at you!! RUN!" (The sister I was with did not speak English) so I kindly returned this comment with a wave and a smile and continued. The lone fisher joined the group. And later as we were skipping stones they shouted again repeatedly "It looks like they are throwing bombs!!" And they were laughing. I was more scared of them than they were of us I'm sure. I tried to ignore them, we ended up leaving the lake. I'm not sure if they anticipated one of us understanding english, or if they were simply shouting for their own entertainment.

noraina
06-07-2016, 11:54 AM
More times than I can count to be honest - alhamdulillah nothing I can't handle, it's really been limited to verbal comments.

But preferably it shouldn't happen at all, it isn't nice being sworn at in the streets. And sometimes it can be difficult to hold your own tongue.

I find Islamophobia is mixed with racism a lot as well - some people seem more affronted by my ethnicity than anything else, I've had a lot of people say 'filthy Kurd' or whatever, and the thing is I'm not even Kurdish or Iraqi :p ignorance really.

My friend is hilarious though, she replies back to every Islamophobic comment directed at her, lol, I don't know how she does it.

EgyptPrincess
06-07-2016, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
More times than I can count to be honest - alhamdulillah nothing I can't handle, it's really been limited to verbal comments.

But preferably it shouldn't happen at all, it isn't nice being sworn at in the streets. And sometimes it can be difficult to hold your own tongue.

I find Islamophobia is mixed with racism a lot as well - some people seem more affronted by my ethnicity than anything else, I've had a lot of people say 'filthy Kurd' or whatever, and the thing is I'm not even Kurdish or Iraqi :p ignorance really.

My friend is hilarious though, she replies back to every Islamophobic comment directed at her, lol, I don't know how she does it.
Cos she is a ghetto girl who ain't gunna stand for people chatting rubbish :p

I think a lot of people who throw abuse at us think we won't do anything, especially if we're wearing a niqab and they think we're timid and weak. It's best to stand up to them and they'll probably be a bit taken back and won't expect it. Or you could just smash a brick over their head like sister @muslimah_B :D

Serinity
06-07-2016, 12:33 PM
:salam:

No.. Not really..

I am Muslim, but don't "look" Muslim (or should I say, eastern.)

It does anger me tho, when they make fun of Islam, the Hijab, the Beard, those who recite the Qur'an, and so on.

But responding with emotions will just fuel the fire. Respond intellectually.

And Allah SWT knows best.

noraina
06-07-2016, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Cos she is a ghetto girl who ain't gunna stand for people chatting rubbish

I think a lot of people who throw abuse at us think we won't do anything, especially if we're wearing a niqab and they think we're timid and weak. It's best to stand up to them and they'll probably be a bit taken back and won't expect it. Or you could just smash a brick over their head like sister
@muslimah_B
Kudos to the sisters who do that :D If it is a random person on the street I just like to pretend I haven't heard them and walk away. Very rarely they'll get any response out of me, it's happened a few times but only when they really push their luck.

If worst comes to worst I could bash them with my bag - it's probably as heavy as five bricks lol.

What annoys me is people who are from other countries themselves and tell me to 'go back home' in their broken English. Nothing wrong with not knowing English but when this country isn't exactly their own home there's no point in dictating who can stay in it. And I'm like 'Excuse me, I'm *born* here and yes English is my first language and I have a British passport.'

EgyptPrincess
06-07-2016, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Kudos to the sisters who do that :D If it is a random person on the street I just like to pretend I haven't heard them and walk away. Very rarely they'll get any response out of me, it's happened a few times but only when they really push their luck.

If worst comes to worst I could bash them with my bag - it's probably as heavy as five bricks lol.

What annoys me is people who are from other countries themselves and tell me to 'go back home' in their broken English. Nothing wrong with not knowing English but when this country isn't exactly their own home there's no point in dictating who can stay in it. And I'm like 'Excuse me, I'm *born* here and yes English is my first language and I have a British passport.'
It's a good job guns and pepper spray etc are banned here because some people would honestly just get shot, especially if I'm in a bad mood haha ;D

I guess we should have patience with them, alas they're heading for hellfire anyway.

muslimah_B
06-07-2016, 05:35 PM
It really just is ignorance, and mostly men bullying women thinking we are weak, dont know how to speak english etc,
I get it everyday i go out.. from people staring at me, to under the breath comments, to shouting, fighting, or throwing things at me then running (youd expect way better from multi cultural london/ britain)

Sometimes you can just ignore them especially the "bin bag or ninja" comments... like honestly is that the best they can come up with lol you can just come up with a witty comeback which makes them shut up and go on about their business
"Well my bin bag looks way better than whatever you have on"
"Oh its meant to be a skirt i thought it was belt"
(You know silly funny things like that nothing tooooo offensive lol )

Everytime it's done to me its been by men either trying to fight or argue with me, coz apparently im a "terrorist, iraqi, not born here, and cant speak english properly"
1. I dispise all terrorists
2. Im not iraqi and where im from is none of your business
3. I was born here went to school and college here and can speak and articulate myself better than you.
(Let them walk away in shame lol)

The moment you let them intimidate you they will carry on and do it to others, so yes sometimes you have to say something and be firm with them
(Its harder to actually do it in a proper way and not punch all of them and tell them about themselves in the most offensive way possible to make them cry, i find it hard then i remember im in a niqab people are looking i cant swear and be violent lol)
Luckily they cant see my face, as i look like i want to kill them... Alhamdulilah for niqab lol :) :)
(No but honestly i dont condone violence ok )

EgyptPrincess
06-07-2016, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_B
(No but honestly i dont condone violence ok )
Some people just ask for it though ;)

Lucky for me I've not really had any abuse thrown my way but if I ever saw a sister getting hassled I'd put him in his place. I suspect most of the people who get loud are weak men who are not man enough to mouth off to our brothers so they do it to us. Funny enough I don't think it's the kufr women who get loud, it's always mostly the men.

Alhamdulillah this is why it's recommended to have your husband / guardian present when going outside. I think some Muslimahs have it worse than others though, depending on where you live. Where I live it's pretty chill.

Cpt.America
06-07-2016, 06:02 PM
My sister got harassed by a woman on the subway for wearing hijab :(

muslimah_B
06-07-2016, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Some people just ask for it though ;)

Lucky for me I've not really had any abuse thrown my way but if I ever saw a sister getting hassled I'd put him in his place. I suspect most of the people who get loud are weak men who are not man enough to mouth off to our brothers so they do it to us. Funny enough I don't think it's the kufr women who get loud, it's always mostly the men.

Alhamdulillah this is why it's recommended to have your husband / guardian present when going outside. I think some Muslimahs have it worse than others though, depending on where you live. Where I live it's pretty chill.
Yea some of them definitely deserve a good beating and being put in thier place.
They pick on women, elderly, or anyone if in groups
I rarely get women saying things to me, its usually been under their breath or between themselves "safety in numbers" thing lol
I remember watching this video of a man insulting Allah in the worst way i think in a chicken shop or kebab shop and this guy just knocks him out cold, and i was clapping at the screen and thought well you shouldnt have insulted Allah

There was another video about a pregnant sister who couldnt speak english properly, and this women keep harrasing her the whole bus journey and no-one never said anything to her to stop and she had a small child herself.
If i was there i would definitely have to hold myself from slapping her, i cant stand anyone bullying people its disgusting

crimsontide06
06-07-2016, 06:07 PM
She could have asked her "Do you treat Nuns this way?"
format_quote Originally Posted by Cpt.America
My sister got harassed by a woman on the subway for wearing hijab :(

Cpt.America
06-07-2016, 06:09 PM
She was too shocked at the time and she told me she had started crying.
I wish I was there at the time, but she goes to uni in a different state.
It was surprising because the woman was a minority herself (African American)
And because my sister was with a group at the time.

Bhabha
06-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Islamophobia is racism.... Period.

Mustafa16
06-07-2016, 07:52 PM
one time, a girl came up to me in the 7th grade and said, "so I hear you're from turkey, a Muslim country? I hear they burn bibles in Turkey because they're Muslim" and when I told her otherwise she just made fun of me, and in the 5th grade, I told a kid I was Muslim, and he ran away shouting, "run!!!! he's a Muslim" and a guy asked him what that meant, and he said, "it means a terrorist,"

Scimitar
06-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Lost my job due to Islamophopbia back in 2001... and the maddening thing is, the guy who sacked me was a supposed Muslim who wanted to brown nose the top tier management.

Scimi

Scimitar
06-07-2016, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Islamophobia is racism.... Period.
WHAT?

:D

You are ignorance then, coz last time I checked, Islamophobia was a particular type of Xenophobia targetting Islam and Muslims, and Muslims come in all colours... so how exactly is it racist? :D

Like I said, you are ignorance.

Please people, this is like the tenth time today I've had to write "grow some brains".

Scimi

Bhabha
06-07-2016, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar
WHAT?

:D

You are ignorance then, coz last time I checked, Islamophobia was a particular type of Xenophobia targetting Islam and Muslims, and Muslims come in all colours... so how exactly is it racist? :D

Like I said, you are ignorance.

Please people, this is like the tenth time today I've had to write "grow some brains".

Scimi
Just like anti-Semitic rhetoric is racist... It's the same thing. I'm doing an M.A on this, the racialization of Muslims and a lot of scholars have argued that Islamophobia is racism, considering that races are constructed by people who do not belong to these groups. So, in the eyes of a NON-MUSLIM, all Muslims are the same, racialized.

You can argue however much you want, but policies and racist discourse say otherwise.

Also, calling someone "ignorance"... when it should be "ignorant" in the definitive sense does not help your case.

Kthanks :D

Regrets1
06-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Once after finishing college me and my friend got on the bus (I had scarf on) there were two guys sat behind us who started spitting on us they spat on my friends hair and my scarf.

After the Paris attack my cousin went school (he's only 9) his non Muslim classmates called him terrorist and said when he grows up he'l kill people because that's what Muslims do. Sad world we live in..I was shocked to hear that primary school kids can make such remarks!

My younger siblings were coming back from Masjid..group of youngsters walked past them saying "BOOM runnn from them, so they ran away laughing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.