/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Christian Man removed from UK flight over prayer message

strivingobserver98
03-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Man removed from UK flight over 'prayer' message on phone

A British man was removed from a plane by armed police at Luton airport after a fellow passenger read a message on his mobile phone about “prayer” and reported him as a security threat.

Laolu Opebiyi, 40, from London, said he was forced to hand over his phone and supply his password in order to establish his innocence after he tried to arrange a conference call prayer with friends using WhatsApp.

A detective subsequently questioned and cleared Opebiyi but the pilot refused to allow him back on to the easyJet flight to Amsterdam last Thursday and he was forced to wait more than three hours for the next scheduled departure.

The Nigerian-born Christian believes the passenger next to him assumed he was a Muslim and jumped to the conclusion that he may be a terrorist.

“That guy doesn’t know me and within two minutes he’s judging me,” he told the Guardian. “Even if I was a Muslim, it was pretty unfair the way I was treated. I don’t think anyone, irrespective of their religion should be treated in such a way.

“If we keep on giving into this kind of bigotry and irrational fear, I dare say that the terrorists will have achieved their aim.”They also asked him about the name of the conference call prayer group, which was “ISI men” – an acronym for “iron sharpens iron”, from the Bible quote “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”. The Guardian understands that the passenger who reported Opebiyi may have misread this as “Isis”.“Someone felt I was a terrorist because they saw the word ‘prayer’ on my phone and now I stand in uncertainty about my freedom of movement in and out of the United Kingdom,” he said.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-message-phone

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Serinity
03-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Fear of Islam etc. Has lead to paranoia it seems..

BilalKid
03-04-2016, 03:42 PM
islamophobia :phew

Serinity
03-04-2016, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
islamophobia :phew
It would probably lead to the point where innocent Muslims, christians etc. Who has nothing to do with 'politics' etc.. Will get involved in something they did not partake in.

That Islamophobia.. But on the other hand, you can't really blame people for being afraid, when you see what is being watched on TV, with ISIS etc.
And Allah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
03-04-2016, 04:11 PM
:sl:

that's really too much . :heated:

SSHorror
03-05-2016, 06:13 PM
This is also because of mass paranoia about terrorism and Muslims.

The top Urban Dictionary definition for Muslims says "Not all Muslims are terrorist but most terrorists are Muslim" which is nonsense. What about all the political terrorist groups? What about Russia and even America? Many of their actions such as air-strikes can be considered terrorism. The West has a history of bloodshed too. Generalizations help no one.

Alpha Dude
03-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Easyjet. Luton.

Says it all, really.

sister herb
03-05-2016, 06:38 PM
The Europe is already so estranged from any religion that I wouldn´t call this as an islamophobic but a common religionphobic. :heated:

SSHorror
03-05-2016, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't say that. The anti-religious atheist lot seem to be mostly based in France and America.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.