View Full Version : quran lost in translation

BilalKid
03-08-2016, 03:40 AM
what wrong with this man views?? ^o)

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/op...in-translation

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
03-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Well, being Malaysian, it should put me in a better position to give an opinion. But then again, only a small part relates to Malaysia.

Firstly, it is in the constitution that the official religion is islam and the King is responsible for it.. Kerajaan (Ke-Raja-an) means as in Raja - of His Majesty's Service. Then we have ministers called 'menteri' who then runs the ministry or 'kementerian' (ke-menteri-an) who should enact kerajaan's duties.

But the problems at hand regarding the article (in Malaysia) is a different thing altogether. A smallish country, with many semi autonomous rule, there are many Sultans, each Head of each State with their own Chief Minister. . They would have their own mufti too.

The build up has been slow but over the past decade it has escalated; the attacks on Islam. Total and deliberate provocation and with the social media, some people in the religious council, ever concerned, addresses his worries, and more and more people are worrying more and more, and sometimes the mufti themselves are ill informed and come out with a fatwa. Imagine now we have around 15 muftis if I'm not mistaken. If they all come out with different fatwa for the same thing? Over reactions happening and it is sad to see.

Malaysia is not handling its development and maturity as a nation very well. Transition. Old values fast fading with the death of the generations that held onto those values.

Hmmm

Thanks for bringing the article up. Wouldn't have known otherwise.

:peace:

AabiruSabeel
03-08-2016, 08:04 PM
I might have spoken too early. The main issue seems to be with some of the commentaries that go against the authentic teachings of Islam. Ustadh Abu Easa says about it: https://www.facebook.com/AbuEesaPers...53389941490844

Having been asked about this new translation called "The Study Qur'an", a Seyyed Hossein Nasr project, I finally got a chance to have a look.Avoid it. Like the plague. It doesn't just have mistakes, it's actually dangerous. This is advice to the 99% of people here, those who don't have the detailed tools necessary to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Leave this to the experts, and stick to Qur'an translations which are mainstream and safe such as Sahih International or even Professor Abdel Haleem's version.
Popping in again to reassure everyone that if you did buy this book, it doesn't need to be burnt and you're not sinful lol and perhaps you might benefit from non-problematic areas. But as I said before, unless you're well-grounded in 'aqidah, I'd avoid it and yes you'll miss out on absolutely nothing. And if you are well grounded and understand Arabic and the sciences at a decent level, you might find it useful.
let's not be afraid to say what needs to be said: this version doesn't just have "shadh" opinions but is the work and expression of one of the most deviant philosophers of our time, who espouses some positions which are impacting hundreds of folks whom I meet every week having doubts in their faith. Yes, you read that right. Perennialism is making a comeback, and in ways you might not have realised before.

My students aren't currently wanting a nuanced essay and critique from me on this book. That is why the use of the black and white language. Many times, one will lose out on huge benefit in the remainder of a piece of work when one utilises this approach. I can tell you however that in this case, 99% of Muslims will miss out on absolutely jack squat. Stick to the other options offered and they will benefit even more.

And if you yourself aren't a child's level or unexposed or uneducated, then feel free to benefit from it at the academic level as I clearly stated. Wallahu a'lam.

M.I.A.
03-08-2016, 08:34 PM
It is preposterous that the Home Ministry has a dedicated Quran Printing, Control and Licensing Board that spends its resources regulating a holy book. In addition, its minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi announced on Tuesday the formation of the Hadith Assessment and Review Committee, which will be tasked with “protecting the authenticity of the hadith.”

Why are we channelling the country’s resources so the civil service can play at being theologians? What business does a government have with the paltry affair of holy scriptures?

Cringe..

Biased article is biased.

Everything else is wrong also :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.