Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
03-11-2016, 11:19 PM
How about Wing Chun? :D

Mike Tyson VS Ip Man

Muslim man doing Wing Chun

LaSorcia
03-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Well, first of all, I don't know if martial arts are halal in Islam. So if I give advice and it's haram, forgive me.

Having said that, I recommend aikido. It's a defensive art, not an attacking one. Its focus is how to get out of dangerous situations quickly and safely, without maiming the other person; just disabling them long enough to escape. I've taken it off and on for 20 years.

greenhill
03-12-2016, 12:24 AM
I am not a thorough student of the art but if or when you do find yourself in that kind of trouble, I see there are 2 types of martial arts, and one in between.

1) the types that the people are far apart - the likes of kung fu, karate etc

2) the grapling type (wrestling etc)

the in between, - Judo.

I find that if you want to learn, it is good to know how to fight standing up and on the ground. A stand up fighter is lost on the floor, and a wrestler will most likely get pounded if it remains a stand up affair.

I've always been interested in Aikido...;)

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LaSorcia
03-12-2016, 01:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
I am not a thorough student of the art but if or when you do find yourself in that kind of trouble, I see there are 2 types of martial arts, and one in between.

1) the types that the people are far apart - the likes of kung fu, karate etc

2) the grapling type (wrestling etc)

the in between, - Judo.

I find that if you want to learn, it is good to know how to fight standing up and on the ground. A stand up fighter is lost on the floor, and a wrestler will most likely get pounded if it remains a stand up affair.

I've always been interested in Aikido...;)

:peace:
That is one thing that is really good about aikido is that it teaches both standing and ground moves. There are more standing moves, given that it expects the standing moves to give you enough time to get away and disable the attacker, but there are also moves for pinning a person and immobilizing them on the ground. Also, for knocking them down if you are on the ground already and the attacker is standing.

I think tai chi is the best martial art of all, with respect to effectiveness, work out and beauty and grace, but it is nearly impossible to find a yang style tai chi teacher where I live.

ardianto
03-12-2016, 02:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Well, first of all, I don't know if martial arts are halal in Islam. So if I give advice and it's haram, forgive me.
Martial art is not haram for Muslims. Even martial art is favorite sport in some madrasa in Indonesia.

Female "Pencak Silat" martial artist from a madrasa in Indonesia.

ardianto
03-12-2016, 03:07 AM
Silat martial art in Betawi tribe "Palang Pintu" tradition. Indonesia.

There is unique wedding tradition among Betawi tribe in Jakarta, Indonesia. It's called "Palang Pintu" (door crossbar). In this tradition if a man want to get married he must come with martial artists who will fight the martial artist from the woman's side. If the man's fighters win, then he ia allowed to marry this woman. In this modern days of course, the fighting in Palang Pintu is not the real fighting and has been arranged which the man's fighter always win. But this tradition still because it shows technique of Silat martial art.

The video below taken from the real wedding event in Jakarta which the Palang Pintu show was performed by Si Pitung group. Remember, they are professional martial artists. So, don't try this at home.

BilalKid
03-13-2016, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Silat martial art in Betawi tribe "Palang Pintu" tradition. Indonesia.
gr8 fight :shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.