/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is taking anti anxiety meds dangerous, due to the possibility of addiction?

Mustafa16
03-13-2016, 03:59 AM
I read on islamqa.info/en that it is better to cure anxiety in line with the quran and sunnah, and not with artificial chemicals.....
But I can't imagine life without my klonopin, risperdal, and prozac.....
i stopped taking supplements, and things have gotten better since then....
i also drank black seed oil, but my mom hasn't gotten me more even though i keep asking....
i also drank lots of honey and milk, listened to ruqyah, did zikr, etc......
for a while i seemed to be addicted to supplements, but again, that's been taken care of....
but i keep hearing how bad pharmaceutical meds are for mental health, so is it haram to take them, especially if they are sedatives like alcohol?
what about pain killers?
what is the rulings on these?
and if these are haram, what should I do to cure anxiety and mental health issues, namely autism, adhd, and ocd?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ridwaan Ravat
03-13-2016, 04:07 AM
Assalamualykum.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation,

Yes indeed anti depressant have many side effects and are addictive, I feel it is best you consult with your medical practitioner and thereafter make a decision.

Self diagnosis is not always the best option.

May Allah make it easy for you and cure completely. Aameen

Request duaas

Abz2000
03-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Do your best to avoid pharmaceutical drugs that damage the brain, they prevent the proper function of the brain and block off essential processes required for survival.
Huge amounts of prozac etc were found in rivers in india and smaller fish were found to be swimming straight up to predatory fish and staring at them, and were then gobbled up without much reaction on their part.
It is important to be vigilant especially in times when kafir "intelligence" (foolishness) assets are harrassing and getting into the lives of normal people who are/may be perceived as a threat to the criminal kufr apparatus, and then are glossing over all the stalking and harrassment and accusing people of being paranoid, with the docile mental health system workers who don't understand ten percent of the brain - are incapable, unwilling, or censored from taking these events into consideration.
if you are genuinely ill, maybe try taking a break and focusing on spiritual and physical strength and diet, get involved in local mosque activities and get your brain rhythm back in tune.
Those pharmaceutical drugs can be worse than lobotomy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

sister herb
03-13-2016, 11:10 AM
You should take anti depressant meds only when your doctor orders them to you. Others, natural remedies like black seeds oil, herbs, honey etc. you can use freely but remember not to use them too much or too often same ingredient as they have medical effects. Moderation with everything you do or take is the best way.

When you use pain killers, it´s better to find out what causes that pain and try to remove the source. Like if you have headache often, you might have tensions of the neck and shoulders. What causes this? Sometimes incorrect sitting posture. What helps? Pain killers ok but better have some exercise and better chair. And so on with other pains.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Saleem Khan
03-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Medication is a sunnah of Nabi (saw) therefore it is not Haram to use natural or pharmaceutical medications.

It is important to remember that this world is a world of means we must adopt means thereafter Allah will cure us.

Remember there is a difference between sunnatullah (way of Allah) and qudratullah (power of Allah). The sunnatullah is that you go to work and Allah will send your rizq, you eat food and Allah will satisfy the hunger, drink water and Allah will satisfy your thirst. This is sunnatullah (way of Allah). Qudratullah (power) would be that Allah quenches your thirst without the need to drink water...this is within the power of Allah or don't eat food and Allah will satisfy your hunger, same with medication...but no one will do this as this is a world of means.

The laws of this world are of sunnatullah therefore it is obviously necessary for us to eat food and drink etc.

And if we get sick we need to take medication.

Therefore some times it could even be necessary to take medication (if life is in danger).

However now the discussion comes will it necessary or impermissible to take the medication in reference. As long as a practicing, reliable, Muslim, doctor gives you the assurance that these medications will help your sickness and not make it worse or cause any side effects, then it is permissible for you to take these meds. Remember medications are a means, Allah us the only one that cures. Therefore continue making lots of duas and leave all sins.

Souljette
03-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Asalamualaykum you need to know the cause behind your anxiety..if you don't know the cause how will you treat it and Medication should be the last resort when nothing else applies. anti anxiety pills or anti depressants have many side effects and have long term effects. If you have tried absolutely everything and it's not working it is probably because you haven't eliminated the main cause behind it.

azc
03-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Do zikrullah. Tilawat of Quran and keep in touch with pious people. Consult your parents and elders.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.