/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Anniza
03-14-2016, 02:28 PM
AslamOAlaikum,
Kindly let me know what is alcohol denat that is used in deodorants? Is it halal?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khalid Saifullah
03-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Alcohol denatured.

In deodorants , the alcohol is of a synthetic nature ..... not derived from grains or grapes.

It's denatured to give it a bitter taste so that it can not be abused and consumed.

Khalid Saifullah
03-14-2016, 02:44 PM
One of the most common alcohols used in cosmetics is Ethyl alcohol, also referred to as Ethanol (or simply Alcohol on some cosmetic ingredient listings). It’s the regular old alcohol we are all most familiar with –found in beer and wine, as well as in our hairsprays, gels and facial toners. Yes, really –it’s the exact same thing. But, to remove the tax burden imposed on alcohol intended for ingestion, and also to ensure that people (especially kids) aren’t drinking hairspray, the ethanol used in cosmetic formulations is typically denatured, which creates a bitter taste. Denatured alcohol appears in a cosmetic ingredient listing either as SD Alcohol or Alcohol Denat.

Ethanol is typically derived from sugars, mostly from corn. It is a liquid at room temperature, and has a lot of other cool properties that only chemists would care about. But, one important characteristic you should understand is that it is very “volatile”. Simply put, it evaporates rapidly –much more rapidly than water. Its volatility is one reason why ethanol is used in a lot of hair styling products, such as hairsprays. The fast-drying activity of alcohol allows the fixative to be sprayed onto the surface of hair without “wetting” the hair –which, of course, would ruin the style.

http://www.zaega.com/beauty-myth-alc...your-skin.html

Anniza
03-14-2016, 02:49 PM
It means it's not halal for Muslims. Am I right?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khalid Saifullah
03-14-2016, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anniza
It means it's not halal for Muslims. Am I right?
I think it's halaal.

Anniza
03-14-2016, 02:54 PM
May be.
ALLAH knows better.
May He forgive us..aaaammmmeeeeennnn

Khalid Saifullah
03-14-2016, 03:23 PM
I checked the opinion of a few scholars and all of them agree that it's halaal due to the following reasons

1. Due to umoom al balwa
It means due to it being an unavoidable ingredient in many products

However, I would recommend that if a hakaak alternate is found , rather go for that option

2) alcohol is found in many ingredients today due to natural biochemical processes .... eg in bread when it's being baked or in fruit when they are picked .

However ; These are in minute quantities and do not intoxicate.

Even the body produces minute quantities of alcohol under certain circumstances

Khalid Saifullah
03-14-2016, 03:42 PM
In addition , it's synthesised and the nature of the alcohol is completely changed. It thus also then becomes pure. It's no more najis (impure to consume or spray on )

Anniza
03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Jazakallah

ardianto
03-14-2016, 03:59 PM
:sl:

Topic about alcohol is often asked in my place. And here the answer from ulama.

There are two kinds of alcohol. The first is "khamr" or alcohol that produced with purpose to be consumed as drink, that we know as liquor. The second is "non-khamr" or alcohol that produced not to be consumed as drink, such as alcohol fuel or medical alcohol to clean the wound.

The first, khamr, is absolutely haram. Not only drink it, but producing it and trading it is also haram. While the second, non-khamr, is permissible to be used, as long as not to be consumed as drink.

Alcohol in deodorant categorized as non-khmar. So, it's permissible to be used.

azc
03-14-2016, 04:48 PM
http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/7755

Anniza
03-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Jazakallah..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.