/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Quran

Tlish
03-15-2016, 11:30 PM
I have a quick question.

I am working on an interfaith scripture index and am trying to find a scriptures from the Quran that teach the same principle as certain scriptures from the Christian faith. I have such respect for the Islam faith and would like to accurately represent the Quran and your beliefs.

Here is the scripture:

Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.D&C 88:118

Which scriptures can you think of from the Quran that teach the same principle?

Thank you for your help! There will be more to come!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
03-16-2016, 01:17 AM
I can only generalise but the Quran is more about trying to find context and meaning within it..

The constant urge to ponder upon it.. To relate it to life and its workings.

There is little reference to any other text.

There are comparisons made between those with knowledge and those without.

And instruction to follow those with authority.. Although even then the specifics are not mentioned.

There is instruction to enjoin good and forbid evil.

There is constant reference to "men of understanding"

M.I.A.
03-16-2016, 01:20 AM
I can only generalise but the Quran is more about trying to find context and meaning within it..

The constant urge to ponder upon it.. To relate it to life and its workings.

There is little reference to any other text.

There are comparisons made between those with knowledge and those without.

And instruction to follow those with authority.. Although even then the specifics are not mentioned.

There is instruction to enjoin good and forbid evil.

There is constant reference to "men of understanding"

Comparisons can be made between ideas and concepts although the approach can be different.. Or seem to be..

A key concept is that Allah swt guides whome he wills and allows to be mislead whome he wills..even in the matter of what is written in the Quran.

Here is a popular Google one:

Sahih International: Then do they not reflect upon the Qur'an, or are there locks upon [their] hearts?
Pickthall: Will they then not meditate on the Qur'an, or are there locks on the hearts?
Yusuf Ali: Do they not then earnestly seek to understand the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up by them?
Shakir: Do they not then reflect on the Quran? Nay, on the hearts there are locks.
Muhammad Sarwar: Is it that they do not think about the Quran or are their hearts sealed?
Mohsin Khan: Do they not then think deeply in the Quran, or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)?
Arberry: What, do they not ponder the Koran? Or is it that there are locks upon their hearts?

...double post lol... Mods will sort :p

azc
03-16-2016, 01:47 AM
https://islamgreatreligion.wordpress...sage-of-peace/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tlish
03-16-2016, 05:03 AM
Thank you everyone! Those responses and resources were very helpful!

Tlish
03-16-2016, 05:30 AM
Are there any other resources that would be helpful in finding quotes and passages from the Quran?

azc
03-16-2016, 05:53 AM
You who believe!be upholders of justice, bearing witness for Allah alone, even against yourselves or your parents and relatives. Whether they are rich or poor, Allah is well able to look after them.Do not follow your own desires and deviate from the truth. If you twist or turn away, Allah is aware of what you do. (Surat an-Nisa’, 135)Among those We have createdthere is a community whoguide by the Truth andact justly according to it. (Surat al-A‘raf, 181)… if you do judge, judge between them justly.Allah loves the just. (Surat al-Maida, 42)You who believe!show integrity for the sake of Allah, bearing witness with justice. Do not let hatred for a people incite you into not being just. Be just. That is closer to taqwa. Fear [and respect] Allah. Allah is aware of what you do. (Surat al-Maida, 8)Every nation has a Messenger and when their Messenger comeseverything is decided between them justly. They are not wronged. (Surah Yunus, 47)We sent Our Messengers with the Clear Signs andsent down the Book and the Balance with them so that mankind might establish justice. (Surat al-Hadid, 25)Say:“My Lord has commanded justice…”(Surat al-A ‘raf, 29)So call and go straight as you have been ordered to. Do not follow their whims and desires but say, ‘I have iman in a Book sent down by Allah andI am ordered to be just between you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord. We have our actions and you have your actions. There is no debate between us and you. Allah will gather us all together. He is our final destination.’ (Surat ash-Shura, 15)Among those We have createdthere is a community whoguide by the Truth andact justly according to it. (Surat al-A ‘raf, 181)Those with faith, those who are Jews, and the Christians and Sabaeans, all who believe in Allah and the Last Day and act rightly, will have their reward with their Lord.They will feel no fear and will know no sorrow. (Surat al-Baqara, 62)Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and fair admonition, and argue with them in the kindest way. (Surat an-Nahl, 125)Is it not likely that, if you did turn away, you would cause corruption in the earth and sever your ties of kinship? Such are the people Allah has cursed, making them deaf and blinding their eyes. (Surah Muhammad, 22-23)Allah does not forbid youfrom being good to those who have not fought you in the deen or driven youfrom your homes,or from being just towards them. Allah loves those who are just. Allah merely forbids you from taking as friends those who have fought you in the religion and driven you from your homes and who supported your expulsion. Any who take them as friends are wrongdoers. (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8-9)As for those who reject Allah’s Signs, and kill the Prophets without any right to do so, and kill those who command justice, give them news of a painful punishment. (Surah Al ‘Imran, 21)2009-08-31 23:50:52

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.