/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Siegmund Freund

new2010
03-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Assalamualaikum,

as you know - Freud - he is the founder of psychoanalysis and many of his theories are applied and discussed nowadays. What is the Islamic view about his theories, after all he criticises religion and killed himself, because he would be the one who takes the decision when to die, as far as I know. Are there concepts which are conform with Islamic teachings? Especially when it comes to the Id, ego and super-ego theory. Can you recommend some books or lectures of trustworthy persons who do research on these topics?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
03-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Not really sure of your question.

Taking your own life, as far as I know, is a no-no. About the others, there is nothing prohibiting studying human behaviour and psychology..

:peace:

new2010
03-20-2016, 06:26 PM
The question wasn't whether one can take oneselves life or not. There is no doubt: this is not permissible under any circumstances. It was just a comment to show how this persons (Freud) thought process was. The question was, to be more specific: are there theories of Freud that contains kufr? I mean of course he has sayings that contain kufr and he was a kafir, but are there specific theories that are against Islamic teachings? I haven't been busy with his theories in detail yet. And the other question is: Are the Muslims who do research the subject psychoanalysis, so it's more preferable to read books that are in accordance with Quran and Sunnah.

:Jazak: and :peace:back

czgibson
03-20-2016, 07:02 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
as you know - Freud - he is the founder of psychoanalysis and many of his theories are applied and discussed nowadays.
Freud is a hugely important figure in the history of ideas, but his psychoanalytical theories have now largely been superseded by subsequent developments in the field. In fact, it's possible to argue that his basic concepts have had a more lasting impact in the field of literary studies than in psychology, where his conceptual starting points have been modified and updated to such a degree that their current clinical value in their original form is limited. As the founder of psychoanalysis, however, his importance is indisputable.

The question was, to be more specific: are there theories of Freud that contains kufr? I mean of course he has sayings that contain kufr and he was a kafir, but are there specific theories that are against Islamic teachings?
Freud was fundamentally opposed to monotheistic religion, and his entire philosophical project is in one sense a comprehensive rejection of it, so, yes, there are plenty of his ideas that go against Islamic teachings.

Here is wikipedia's entry on Freud's views on religion.

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!