/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Study finds that Atheism is more prevalent within...

Khalid Saifullah
03-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Study finds that Atheism is more prevalent within highly literate secular communities and in economically advanced countries

Atheists are heavily concentrated in economically developed countries, particularly the social democracies of Europe. In underdeveloped countries, there are virtually no atheists. Atheism is a peculiarly modern phenomenon. Why do modern conditions produce atheism? In a new study to be published in August, I provided compelling evidence (link is external) that atheism increases along with the quality of life (1).

First, as to the distribution of atheism in the world, a clear pattern can be discerned. In sub-Saharan Africa there is almost no atheism (2). Belief in God declines in more developed countries and atheism is concentrated in Europe in countries such as Sweden (64% nonbelievers), Denmark (48%), France (44%) and Germany (42%). In contrast, the incidence of atheism in most sub-Saharan countries is below 1%.

The question of why economically developed countries turn to atheism has been batted around by anthropologists for about eighty years. Anthropologist James Fraser proposed that scientific prediction and control of nature supplants religion as a means of controlling uncertainty in our lives. This hunch is supported by data showing that the more educated countries have higher levels of non belief and there are strong correlations between atheism and intelligence.

Atheists are more likely to be college-educated people who live in cities and they are highly concentrated in the social democracies of Europe. Atheism thus blossoms amid affluence where most people feel economically secure. But why?

It seems that people turn to religion as a salve for the difficulties and uncertainties of their lives. In social democracies, there is less fear and uncertainty about the future because social welfare programs provide a safety net and better health care means that fewer people can expect to die young. People who are less vulnerable to the hostile forces of nature feel more in control of their lives and less in need of religion. Hence my finding of belief in God being higher in countries with a heavy load of infectious diseases.

In my new study of 137 countries (1), I also found that atheism increases for countries with a well-developed welfare state (as indexed by high taxation rates). Moreover, countries with a more equal distribution of income had more atheists. My study improved on earlier research by taking account of whether a country is mostly Moslem (where atheism is criminalized) or formerly Communist (where religion was suppressed) and accounted for three-quarters of country differences in atheism.

In addition to being the opium of the people (as Karl Marx contemptuously phrased it), religion may also promote fertility, particularly by promoting marriage (3). Large families are preferred in agricultural countries as a source of free labor. In developed countries, by contrast, women have exceptionally small families. I found that atheism was lower in countries where a lot of people worked on the land.

Even the psychological functions of religion face stiff competition today. In modern societies, when people experience psychological difficulties they turn to their doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist. They want a scientific fix and prefer the real psychotropic medicines dished out by physicians to the metaphorical opiates offered by religion. No wonder that atheism increases along with third-level educational enrollment (1).

The reasons that churches lose ground in developed countries can be summarized in market terms. First, with better science, and with government safety nets, and smaller families, there is less fear and uncertainty in people's daily lives and hence less of a market for religion. At the same time many alternative products are being offered, such as psychotropic medicines and electronic entertainment that have fewer strings attached and that do not require slavish conformity to unscientific beliefs.

Source
1. Barber, N. (in press). A cross-national test of the uncertainty HYPOTHESIS

》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》

CONCLUSION :
1) ADVANCED WESTERN EDUCATION EVENTUALLY MAKES YOU SO ARROGANT THAT YOU START WORSHIPPING YOUR INTELLECT WHICH LEADS TO REJECTING ALLAH;

2) ECONOMIC PROSPERITY AND SCIENTIFIC ADVANCEMENT GIVES YOU A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY, SUCH THAT YOU DOUBT THAT ALLAH TA'ALA IS THE TRUE PROVIDER AND CONTROLLER

May Allah Ta'ala save us all from the curse of wealth, the curse of relying on ones intellect to the exclusion of faith and from the curse of its conclusion - Atheism .
Ameen

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
03-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalid Saifullah
CONCLUSION :
1) ADVANCED WESTERN EDUCATION EVENTUALLY MAKES YOU SO ARROGANT THAT YOU START WORSHIPPING YOUR INTELLECT WHICH LEADS TO REJECTING ALLAH;
Call it arrogance if you like, but Western models of education have undoubtedly contributed to rising standards of living for many people, as well as obvious technological advances.

2) ECONOMIC PROSPERITY AND SCIENTIFIC ADVANCEMENT GIVES YOU A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY, SUCH THAT YOU DOUBT THAT ALLAH TA'ALA IS THE TRUE PROVIDER AND CONTROLLER

May Allah Ta'ala save us all from the curse of wealth, the curse of relying on ones intellect to the exclusion of faith and from the curse of its conclusion - Atheism .
Ameen
You seem to be recommending poverty and scientific backwardness as the better course. I am sure people reading this will be wise enough to make up their own minds about whether to follow your advice or not.

Peace

Zafran
03-23-2016, 12:29 AM
Your forgetting China, North Korea and other communist/ex communist states as well. Not to forget that most of the mid east had a heavy seculer/nationalist drug during the 50s to 80s. Nassers Egypt, The Baathist in Syria and Iraq.

The US seems to be the odd country that is rich, well educated and yet deeply christian.

ardianto
03-23-2016, 12:00 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Khalid Saifullah
I came from prosperous, highly educated family. Since before I could read, my father already bought me American published children dictionary, in English. I haven't able to read. So, my father read those books for me. Then my father gave me more, and many, book of knowledge which all of those books were American books, mostly translated in Indonesian language. Also, mostly of my children stories books were European books.

My father educated me in the way that close to Western way which he motivated me to ask, questioning, seeking answer, and understand. Not just swallow what taught to me. Yes, he also taught me that my future depend on my own effort.

Then, did this Western influence made me reject Allah?. No!. But indeed, I can feel that I am more rational and logical than some other Muslims.

In the past Muslims were strong because they were economically prosperous and scientifically advanced. Read again about the Golden Age of Muslims. But now?.

I am really sorry if I must say that your statement actually created by some religious leaders who afraid would lose their cultural hegemony if people were open minded, and began to critical toward them.

As Muslims we must believe that Allah is the true provider and true controller. But we must not believe it in incorrect understanding. Yes, my economic study found that there are many poor Muslims who believe that they would not able to improve their life quality because Allah has arranged they would get only small sustenance. So, they have no motivation to improve their life level. This is wrong mindset, of course.

That is different than what my Islamic teachers taught me that Allah will give sustenance only if we are willing to do effort to gain sustenance. If we do an effort, In Shaa Allah, we will get help from Allah in the form of easiness. This is what “Allah is the provider and controller” mean.

Allah will not change people’s life if people themselves don't do effort to change themselves.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
03-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Study finds that Atheism is more prevalent within highly literate secular communities and in economically advanced countries

like Israel...

Timi Scar

Eric H
03-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Greetings and peace be with you czgibson;

Western models of education have undoubtedly contributed to rising standards of living for many people, as well as obvious technological advances.
Agreed,

You seem to be recommending poverty and scientific backwardness as the better course. I am sure people reading this will be wise enough to make up their own minds about whether to follow your advice or not.
At the heart of religion is the concern for the poor, the widows, orphans and the oppressed. Religion is about helping others, especially those less fortunate, so poor people do tend to help each other, they have a need for God.

Rich people have no need of God, they learn to exploit others less fortunate. They find the cheapest labour in third world countries, they overcharge their customers, and the few billion dollars left over gets shared amongst one or two fat cats.

God has a concern for the poor, we will all have to stand before God at some point

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

greenhill
03-23-2016, 04:25 PM
In principalI agree with the OP.

Yes the education system is a 'tool' and it does produce the effects. Does not mean that it is 100% successful at making everyone an atheist. It just provides an avenue to explore... br. @ardianto

:peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.