/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Life is better with a chicken

noraina
03-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

This is not a thread for those who like to eat chickens, but for those who recognise chickens as beautiful, loveable pets who lay wonderful eggs daily for their family. :statisfie

Alhamdulillah, I am the proud owner of three sweet little chickens. They are Orpingtons - look them up they are sooooo cute! One rooster (an accident) and two hens. They are around one years old and are truly now pets of the family. They live in a small little house in our garden and spend the day running around in their little pasture we've made for them, in return our two little hens lay us delicious eggs and we're planning to hatch chicks. Yayyyyyyyyyyy. We only want them and their egg, so for their ten-year life-span they will not be eaten at all.

Some interesting chicken facts -
. Chickens are the closest living relatives to the Tyrannosaurus-Rex.
.Chickens can recognise over 100 individuals, including humans.
. Chickens have REM sleep, meaning that they have dreams.
.They make excellent and caring mothers.
.Chickens have the emotional intelligence of a three-year-old human.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
03-25-2016, 10:44 AM
An orpington hen.

sister herb
03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
. Chickens are the closest living relatives to the Tyrannosaurus-Rex.
If your chickens have even few of the same features like their anchestor, be sure nobody doesn´t come to harm them neither your family.

Just kidding. They seems to be useful (and cute) pets. :statisfie

Serinity
03-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Chickens.......... I like the small ones.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
03-25-2016, 11:41 AM
We often joke that if any of us fainted in the garden the chickens would eat us alive, :skeleton: of course, none of us are willing to try that out.

Bro, you mean the bantam ones? Some are small enough to fit into your hand, so cute!

Serinity
03-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Now that is what I call cute! but the ones I saw backhome was small chickens.

https://www.google.dk/search?q=Small...tjVkEh20FpM%3A

That, Sooooooo CUTE! I think the small one bite me once or so. Idk,

Allahu alam.

Ineed Umar
03-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Also had pair of roosters they were 2 years old but they went to heaven...... Idk their species but they were like local paki breed.

I heard they call Allah in the morning, is it true? True or not they do help wake up in faJr and are much better than alarms

noraina
03-25-2016, 07:02 PM
Perhaps they were asil chickens? Very popular in Pakistan.

I am unsure whether they truly are saying adhaan for fajr but it is a pleasant sound to be woken up to. Only the problem is he carries on throughout fajr and during the day! :hmm:

I love my rooster, he is stunning mashaAllah and huge! He is almost too heavy to carry around.

BilalKid
03-26-2016, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
Chickens.......... I like the small ones.
chicken nugget? ;D;D

sister herb
03-26-2016, 06:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
chicken nugget? ;D;D
:hiding: to you.

noraina
03-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Bro, eating chickens on this thread is against the rules.:skeleton:

ConcealedGem
03-26-2016, 08:47 AM
I read the title as life is better with children and i was like ''too right!''..

strivingobserver98
03-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Cute pic :statisfie.

Fun Fact: Chickens have full-colour vision, just like we do.

noraina
03-27-2016, 09:53 AM
MashaAllah - so cute. People think I'm insane when I say I love my chickens, but I do :statisfie

strivingobserver98
03-27-2016, 05:33 PM
MashaAllah - so cute. People think I'm insane when I say I love my chickens, but I do :statisfie
:sl:

Please do share pics of your chickens if you can :).

strivingobserver98
03-29-2016, 04:30 PM
@noraina

This chicken escaped. He's wondering around on this thread :hiding:.

noraina
03-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Send him to me, he'll always be welcome in my home :Emoji46:

Here are my hens, I'll find my roosters later.
indexphp?actiondlattachtopic87960attach10246image -
indexphp?actiondlattachtopic87960attach10247image -

sister herb
03-29-2016, 04:48 PM
^ I can´t see your hens. Seems they too have escaped.

~ Sabr ~
03-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Chickens are yummy :p

sister herb
03-29-2016, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~ Sabr ~
Chickens are yummy :p
To you too: :hiding:

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 12:58 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chickens!!!!!!!!! Life is so much better with a chicken for sure ^__^ They are so cute and cuddly. I want to get little cute chicks and raise them into full chickens so that they know my voice and come when they hear it!!! :embarrass:embarrass:embarrass

noraina
04-19-2016, 01:41 PM
They are so cute, ma'sha'Allah. And what is even better is that once they know you they don't even wait for you to call them, they just come running over anyway if they hear the door open. :Emoji50:

Although they do need a first-aid kit, like other animals, and you have to clean up after them everyday. But they are quite self-sufficient, much easier to care for than a dog or cat, for example.

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Do you ever kiss their little beaks??![emoji33][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

noraina
04-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Well, I don't kiss their beaks :D, but I have kind of cuddled them and just buried my face into their fluffy neck feathers, they be very soft and warm.

Just look at them :wub:
263254181 544209c06a 1?v0 -

Umm Abed
04-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Nice chicken thread!

And omg did you see how the one is walking all over?:haha:!

Sis @noraina you have beautiful Buff chickens masha'allah.

Umm Abed
04-19-2016, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Do you ever kiss their little beaks??![emoji33][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]
Yeah those tiny teeny tots new little chicks - their beaks are soo cute you can kiss them:Emoji53:

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 02:36 PM
ما شاء الله‎

That is such a good lookin' chicken! I want to steal your little chick and hide it in my bed ! [emoji5][emoji39]

noraina
04-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Testing...

noraina
04-19-2016, 02:49 PM
That first picture of the hen doesn't belong to us anymore, we gave her to someone, so it is their pic AND their chick :D.

These two hens and the rooster are ours though. :)

strivingobserver98
04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
:sl:

This is another type of bird. Look at those skinny legs :D.

Al-Bukhaari (6203) and Muslim (2150) narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:

The Prophet :saws: was the best of people in attitude. I had a brother who was called Abu ‘Umayr.

He (the narrator) said: I think he said: He was a weanling.

When the Messenger of Allaah :saws: came and saw him, he said: “Abu ‘Umayr, what happened to the nughayr (nightingale)?” He used to play with it.

noraina
04-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Gosh, I can see the pictures though :hmm: I'm going to do some experiments now lol just in case you see the above post going through strange transformations :D.

noraina
04-19-2016, 03:01 PM
And I forgot my manners, jazakAllah khayr for informing me :)

BilalKid
04-19-2016, 03:02 PM
keeping chicken is reward or not?? ^o)

strivingobserver98
04-19-2016, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
keeping chicken is reward or not?? ^o)
:)

Examining this issue, the prominent Muslim scholar Sheikh `Abdul-Bari Az-Zamzami, member of the Moroccan scholar's Association, answers:

"Caging birds and offering food to them and treating them kindly is not only permissible, but also recommended. A Muslim will receive a reward from Allah for that as long as he has made the intention that he is doing this for the sake of Allah. In the hadith of the Prophet, we read: "In every living liver (i.e. living being), there is a reward." In another hadith, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said: "And if you show mercy to a sheep, Allah will shower mercy on you." Keeping birds and offering food to them may preserve their lives, since they are safe from predatory animals. It is also recorded that there was a boy at the time of the Prophet called Abu `Umair and he used to keep a small bird with him all the time. Whenever he saw his family in the house, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to call this boy, smile at him and say: "What has happened to An-Nughair (the name of the bird)?" Some scholars used this hadith and deduced about 400 benefits from it. This behavior of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) indicates that it is permissible to keep birds at home and offer them food.”

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Yay!!!!

Farm here I come [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji813]️

sister herb
04-19-2016, 03:18 PM
I cant keep chickens but I prefer to feed wild birds during the winter. Maybe it´s just same.

Bird feeder is waiting it´s winterly visitors:

Umm Abed
04-19-2016, 03:21 PM
That would also mean giving them big spaces to run around in order for them to have a good quality of life, alhamdulillah, thanks for sharing that hadith, @farhan . :)

Umm Abed
04-19-2016, 03:22 PM
That is so rewarding, @sister herb , feeding the wild birds.

ardianto
04-19-2016, 04:04 PM
This thread makes me want to have chicken. But unfortunately there are cats in my home.

noraina
04-19-2016, 05:29 PM
To have chickens and cats is not impossible, brother. I wouldn't recommend putting young chicks with a cat :skeleton: But with a grown large breed of chicken (many can be larger than cats) and a few supervised meetings between the two they can get on quite well. I have lots of wild cats in the neighbourhood and they've never bothered my hens :)

Chickens, and animals in general, reduce stress levels and tensions in humans. :D So much cheaper than therapy!

Umm Abed
04-19-2016, 05:41 PM
It is possible to keep cats and chickens, and house cats especially, they dont bother the chickens.

Hamza :)
04-19-2016, 05:48 PM
To have chickens and cats is not impossible, brother. I wouldn't recommend putting young chicks with a cat :skeleton: But with a grown large breed of chicken (many can be larger than cats) and a few supervised meetings between the two they can get on quite well. I have lots of wild cats in the neighbourhood and they've never bothered my hens :)

Chickens, and animals in general, reduce stress levels and tensions in humans. :D So much cheaper than therapy!
I had a baby chicken when i was a kid, the cat ate it. I was so heartbroken imsad

I wasn't allowed to keep a baby chicken since then :l

noraina
04-19-2016, 05:53 PM
That mustn't have been a nice experience, I get attached to my chickens very easily. Chicks and cats just do not go unfortunately.

Try again bro :D, hopefully you'll be able to keep the cats at bay. Better still, get full grown hens - Asil ones who can fight the cats off.

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza :)
I had a baby chicken when i was a kid, the cat ate it. I was so heartbroken imsad

I wasn't allowed to keep a baby chicken since then :l
I found a little chick on the road and I brought it home and put it on top of my bed while I went to get something for it to eat. Then I saw my dog attack it :/ I think the chick had a heart attack from my big Labrador [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

04-19-2016, 05:56 PM
That mustn't have been a nice experience, I get attached to my chickens very easily. Chicks and cats just do not go unfortunately.

Try again bro :D, hopefully you'll be able to keep the cats at bay. Better still, get full grown hens - Asil ones who can fight the cats off.
Feeding them and taking care of them requires strong commitment. I'd have to run after them all the time lol

04-19-2016, 05:58 PM
I found a little chick on the road and I brought it home and put it on top of my bed while I went to get something for it to eat. Then I saw my dog attack it :/ I think the chick had a heart attack from my big Labrador [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
Funny thing is, no matter how early you notice a predator attacking your chick, you end up being late. They're just too quick :l

That's not actually funny lol

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza :)
Funny thing is, no matter how early you notice a predator attacking your chick, you end up being late. They're just too quick :l
Specially sneaky pets. [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

If you have space outside though you can feed your chickens left over food like rice, pieces of little bread that no one likes...the corners [emoji24] and veggies [emoji39]

sister herb
04-19-2016, 06:00 PM
So much cheaper than therapy!
This reminded to me a saying as "gardening is cheaper than therapy - and you get tomatoes". In this case: "...and you get eggs".

;)

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 06:02 PM
We should all just get together and make a giant IB garden and egg farm [emoji39]

When I go to uk this year ان شاء الله [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

ConcealedGem
04-19-2016, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhan
@noraina

This chicken escaped. He's wondering around on this thread :hiding:.

tell him to come my way and il eat him.

strivingobserver98
04-19-2016, 06:07 PM
We should all just get together and make a giant IB garden and egg farm
:)

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Don't eat the chicken! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Have this instead [emoji524][emoji524][emoji524]

ConcealedGem
04-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Don't eat the chicken! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Have this instead [emoji524][emoji524][emoji524]
i have an idea!! The Ib garden can feature wells and trees so the members can get reward iA!!!!

sister herb
04-19-2016, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ConcealedGem
tell him to come my way and il eat him.
To you: :hiding:

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ConcealedGem
i have an idea!! The Ib garden can feature wells and trees so the members can get reward iA!!!!
Anything that you plant and a living being eats earns you rewards [emoji258][emoji258][emoji258]

We should plant tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, parsley, strawberries, lettuce, onions, cilantro, spinach

And hug these little cuties [emoji214][emoji212][emoji212]

ConcealedGem
04-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Anything that you plant and a living being eats earns you rewards [emoji258][emoji258][emoji258]

We should plant tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, parsley, strawberries, lettuce, onions, cilantro, spinach

And hug these little cuties [emoji214][emoji212][emoji212]
sounds so goooood. جزاك اللهُ خير‎

and then we can watch the creatures eat them, itl be an open garden, with loads of pretty flowers and roses, I'm in.. If not here then in jannah iA ❤️

sister herb
04-19-2016, 06:13 PM
We should all just get together and make a giant IB garden and egg farm [emoji39]

When I go to uk this year ان شاء الله [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]
Great idea! Bring all eggs to me and I´ll make a lot of delicious foods from them to you all in my kitchen. :D

Note: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...chen-club.html

The-Deist
04-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Well, I don't kiss their beaks :D, but I have kind of cuddled them and just buried my face into their fluffy neck feathers, they be very soft and warm.

Just look at them :wub:
263254181 544209c06a 1?v0 -
And she turned into nugget.

End of story.

noraina
04-19-2016, 07:41 PM
That nugget joke isn't even funny anymore and it is against the rules of this thread. ;) Besides, if anyone eats my hens they'll have my rooster to answer too, and is he protective of his two hens....:skeleton:

I love the idea of an IB garden, count me in, filled with fruit trees and vegetables and rivers and chickens - :) InshaAllah if a UK IB meetup isn't possible then in Jannah.

@Bhabha - chickens love eating food, I have to watch their weight :D We feed them rice, bread, strawberries, pretty much everything - anything we eat is given to them as well.

Bhabha
04-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Whereabouts in the uk do most people reside? I'll be in Manchester ان شاء الله. Is that far from everyone? [emoji213][emoji213][emoji213]

crimsontide06
04-19-2016, 11:39 PM
I got into this thread to talk about chicken curry with rice and yogurt......I see it is about having chickens as pets, though....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chickens!!!!!!!!! Life is so much better with a chicken for sure ^__^ They are so cute and cuddly. I want to get little cute chicks and raise them into full chickens so that they know my voice and come when they hear it!!! :embarrass:embarrass:embarrass

O1SIX1
04-20-2016, 12:25 AM
I eat chicken for breakfast lunch dinner and sometimes as a snack :p yum yum!

Bhabha
04-20-2016, 12:41 AM
Kids kids. Chickens are friends. Not food. [emoji212][emoji212][emoji213]

noraina
04-20-2016, 06:37 AM
People, this is a social reform movement. We are trying to erase the association between 'chicken' and 'food' and trying to create one of 'chicken' and 'friend'. :D

BilalKid
04-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Kids kids. Chickens are friends. Not food. [emoji212][emoji212][emoji213]
now pets :peace:

im in!! :shade:

sister herb
04-20-2016, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The-Deist
And she turned into nugget.

End of story.
To you too: :hiding:

sister herb
04-20-2016, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by O1SIX1
I eat chicken for breakfast lunch dinner and sometimes as a snack :p yum yum!
:hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

Hands off from those cuties.

anatolian
04-20-2016, 08:01 PM
When I travel through Europe I eat always chicken because red meat can be pork easily. I owe them :statisfie

noraina
04-20-2016, 09:37 PM
I know, how could anyone possibly bring themselves to eat those little golden masses of fluff?:Emoji31:

O1SIX1
04-20-2016, 09:40 PM
I know, how could anyone possibly bring themselves to eat those little golden masses of fluff?:Emoji31:
Sister, you might not know this but when we eat a chicken we do not eat the fluffs. We take the meat and cook it and then it. ;D

noraina
04-20-2016, 09:49 PM
I know bro, :p but how could anyone bear to think of taking off that fluff and then eating something which was so cute when it was alive?

Find a living chicken , put it in your lap for a while, I guarantee you will change your mind :D

Bhabha
04-20-2016, 09:50 PM
I know bro, :p but how could anyone bear to think of taking off that fluff and then eating something which was so cute when it was alive?

Find a living chicken , put it in your lap for a while, I guarantee you will change your mind :D
I wish I could give you 100 likes [emoji39][emoji24][emoji24][emoji214][emoji214][emoji212][emoji212]

O1SIX1
04-20-2016, 09:53 PM

I guarantee you i have been with chicken many times and it has not changed my mind. At the end of the day they are just food for me and i find them delicious :p yum yum i want moreeeeeee!

noraina
04-21-2016, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by O1SIX1
I guarantee you i have been with chicken many times and it has not changed my mind. At the end of the day they are just food for me and i find them delicious yum yum i want moreeeeeee!
:Emoji27: @Bhabha there is no hope for this brother. Although any more references to eating chickens and I'll ban you from my thread, :D.

The-Deist
04-21-2016, 07:44 AM
:Emoji27: @Bhabha there is no hope for this brother. Although any more references to eating chickens and I'll ban you from my thread, :D.
Life with nuggets is better.

Respect to our chicken martyrs who die for our tummies.

RIP Chicken

eesa the kiwi
04-21-2016, 08:07 AM

i had chickens growing up there quite messy you put one in your lap and it might leave a mess

_--------------------
i also got beat up by a rooster when i was kid we had like a rooster that went feral and territorial in the back yard mum was like dont go out there. i was like "im not scared of no rooster" needless to say it beat me up (in my defense i was quite little) also our german shephard got too close to a mother hen with her chicks and the hen gave this big dog a hiding
that was quite funny

moral of the stories chickens make funny pets and if you find they arent so funny after a while you can always eat them

MuhammadIbrahim
04-21-2016, 08:12 AM
An orpington hen.

Masha'a Allah! It is beautiful.

MuhammadIbrahim
04-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Dear sister,
My mother used to keep chickens. I know it is a wonderful feeling when one opens the chickens' barn in the morning, and finds lots of tasty, fresh eggs.

noraina
04-21-2016, 08:45 AM
I thought I said eating chickens isn't allowed here????

They are a little messy, I admit but they keep themselves clean at least and I have held a chicken many times and they've never left any 'mess' on me - maybe mine are just extra polite. :D

I've been attacked by a rooster too, he left a three-inch gash on my arm when I was younger and was immediately sent away. Our rooster at the moment is a gentlemen, ma'sha'Allah, we didn't want a rooster but so long as he stays as he is we're keeping him. And lol I agree never mess with the mother hens - it wasn't my hen but I also got chased by a chicken when I went too close to her chicks :facepalm: I was terrified.

@MuhammadIbrahim, yes brother, I think that is one of the nicest things about keeping chickens. Every morning you peek into the nest box to find it filled with delicious eggs, and Alhamdulillah they taste amazing. :)

sister herb
04-21-2016, 01:41 PM
If I would to be an admin, I surely ban everyone who would mentions the words "eat", "yummy" or "nugget" in this thread!

Without any mercy.

So thank God I am not the admin...

noraina
04-21-2016, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
If I would to be an admin, I surely ban everyone who would mentions the words "eat", "yummy" or "nugget" in this thread!

Without any mercy.

Sister Herb, if there are any ever elections on IB I will vote for you to be admin :D.

strivingobserver98
04-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Sister Herb, if there are any ever elections on IB I will vote for you to be admin :D.
Did someone say elections? :O

I once had the same idea as @Beardo too :).

http://www.islamicboard.com/feedback...-politics.html

noraina
04-21-2016, 01:57 PM
It is an interesting (but controversial!) concept - IB politics. I suppose those suggestion threads you make are a form of voting, as in a democracy, such as for the Comparative Religion section.

Don't worry though I'm not going to be starting a mutiny against the Admin :)

Bhabha
04-21-2016, 02:19 PM

Without any mercy.

Same here ! [emoji39]

sister herb
04-21-2016, 03:04 PM
It´s a wisdom to vote the one who has the biggest hammer.

:giggling:

anatolian
04-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Salam sis. I know you made this thread for another purpose but I would just like contribute that killing animals to eat is a representation of Allah's adjective "Jabbar/Forceful". We see the reflections of Allah's adjectives everywhere in this world. Just like you feeding those chickens is a reflection of His Mercy. You know also we have Eid al-Adha "Sacrifice Feast" in which we sacrifice animals for Allah's sake.

noraina
04-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Of course, jazakAllah khayr for the reminder, bro :)

By all means anyone can eat whatever they wish to, just not my chickens. ;)

Bhabha
04-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Wait are we required to sacrifice animals in eid ?

04-21-2016, 05:41 PM
on eidul adha, yes. You can't sacrifice a chicken tho

Read more here:-
https://islamqa.info/en/36755

anatolian
04-21-2016, 06:40 PM
According to Imam Abu Hanifa it is wajib to sacrifice. A sacrificial animal is a sheep, cow or camel. According to other imams it is only sunnah. So it is up to you which to follow. I agree Abu Hanifa since it is mentioned in Quran too

Surat 108

1. Surely We have given you Kausar,
2. Therefore pray to your Lord and make a sacrifice.
3. Surely your enemy is the one who shall be without posterity

anatolian
04-21-2016, 06:42 PM
By the way Kausar is translated as "Heavenly Fount"

noraina
12-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I thought I'd let you all know my chickens are all fine :D

I am patiently waiting for eggs....they're on egg strike atm. My hen in her winter feathers.

sister herb
12-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Yes indeed, she looks very downy.

greenhill
12-19-2016, 03:37 PM
How many eggs and how often, on average do they lay?

:peace:

noraina
12-19-2016, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
How many eggs and how often, on average do they lay?

Well, my hens are the Orpington breed of chicken, they're more chosen for looks than eggs. But they aren't too bad either.

In winter they completely stop laying from November to February, but otherwise they each lay about 4-5 eggs a week. I'd say they lay about 170-200 eggs a year.

greenhill
12-19-2016, 04:32 PM
They, as in the pair of hens? Wow!

:statisfie

noraina
12-19-2016, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
They, as in the pair of hens? Wow!

:statisfie

Yes, my two hens. They each laid about 170 eggs last year. They were delicious alhamdulillah :).

You can get the other breeds who lay 300+ a year each!

Zeal
12-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Looool subhanallah fat hens :D

Scimitar
12-19-2016, 05:10 PM
I think my Canary thinks it's a chicken sometimes.

noraina
12-19-2016, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
I think my Canary thinks it's a chicken sometimes.
It's probably a chicken caged in a canary's body, that's why.

They're such cute birds. What colour are yours?

Scimitar
12-19-2016, 05:28 PM
It's probably a chicken caged in a canary's body, that's why.

They're such cute birds. What colour are yours?
Chicken.

:D

Scimi

noraina
12-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Chicken.

:D

Scimi
A chicken-coloured canary?

That explains a lot, lol.

Scimitar
12-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Wakes us up before fajr too. Just like a chicken would. Eats corn. And gives me dirty looks. Then runs away. just like a chicken.

Scimi

sister herb
12-19-2016, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal
Looool subhanallah fat hens :D
I don´t think she is a fat. She just sudden to have fluffy feathers.

:ermm:

noraina
12-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Wakes us up before fajr too. Just like a chicken would. Eats corn. And gives me dirty looks. Then runs away. just like a chicken.

Scimi
An unfriendly chicken. My chickens run to me, altho I try not to delude myself as I know it's food attachment - they know I have corn in my pockets, lol. :D

My hens are louder than my rooster, I can hear them clucking from outside. The only time my rooster crows is when he sees a stranger.

noraina
12-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Zeal

Looool subhanallah fat hens

I don´t think she is a fat. She just sudden to have fluffy feathers.

Oh yes. They're not fat, they're fluffy. ;)

anatolian
12-19-2016, 10:34 PM
Your hen is a really fat thing ;D You better feed her less

sister herb
12-19-2016, 10:40 PM
The only time my rooster crows is when he sees a stranger.
That´s useful; you don´t need a guard dog. You have guard rooster already.

:phew

noraina
12-20-2016, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Your hen is a really fat thing You better feed her less
It's her feathers, she just has a huge amount of feathers. Believe me, if you held her you'd realise she's my skinniest hen. If you look up the Orpington breed of chicken, you'll see just how fat they all are.

I wish I could show a recent picture of my roosters, he's enormous ma'sha'Allah. It's just he screams murder whenever you point a camera in his direction, lol.

That´s useful; you don´t need a guard dog. You have guard rooster already.
This is so true. We've actually built a nice large pen for our chickens and whenever someone comes to visit we have to put him inside - my rooster would 100% attack anyone he doesn't know who walks into the garden, especially if you pick up one of his hens (I've learnt from personal experience).

So when I have to handle my hens, he stays inside the pen glaring at us. :D

sister herb
12-20-2016, 10:55 PM
You definitely need a sign to your garden:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.