/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Muslim here.

Sm412
03-27-2016, 06:00 AM
Salam. About 6 or so months ago I made the decision to convert from atheism to Islam. Finding God wasn't something that I wanted to do. I am a recovering alcoholic and participate in Alcoholics Anonymous, where it was suggested that I find my higher power. Being a directionless booze fiend on and off since 2006, I had made the decision to join a religion, as I could never develop an adequate relationship with God on my own. Christianity was out. Not a chance. I've always found that religion to be very confusing, and it's adherents to be self righteous. I took an interest in Islam and made an appointment to visit a mosque. I was absolutely floored by the beauty of prayer and the humbleness and warm spirits of the Muslims there. I went home with a Quran and some literature, and before I knew it, I was making my declaration of faith, praying with the group, and referring to God as Allah. I found the concepts very simple to follow and understand. I found that despite my previous atheism, I had no problem with the Islamic conception of Allah. It made sense. I wish I could say my drinking stopped there. I had a series of lapses which led to me checking myself into inpatient treatment. With Allah's help, I am sober today almost 60 days.

I struggle with mental illness and a somewhat narcissistic personality (no formal diagnosis, but I suspect it). I will work through both with the tools that Allah has laid at my feet. Inshallah.

So that's me. Let me know if you'd like to know more.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
03-27-2016, 06:22 AM
:wa:

Welcome to the forum Sm412 :).

:ma: congrats, great decision.

I would like to know how did you look at atheism before Islam? And now how do you look at it after Islam?

sister herb
03-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Wa alaykumussalam

Welcome to forum and, what´s more important, welcome to Islam as well. May Allah gives you strenght to avoid your old habits. I am sure that with support of Him you will succeed.

:thumbsup:

eesa the kiwi
03-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Welcome bro
Inshaallah you'll find your stay here beneficial
Lol I went to quite a few narcotics anonymous meetings (I'm a revert too) but it was only through islam that I was able to kick my habits. Now I'm nearly seven years clean alhamdulilah
My best advice I can give is maintain your five daily prayers. You do that everything including the drinking will be sorted out inshaallah
Hope this helps

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sm412
03-27-2016, 07:44 AM
My atheism was self centered. It was a way to feel intellectually superior to others. And in doing so, I made myself spiritually inferior to those who I criticized. Since opening my mind and heart to Allah, I feel like I'm taking the natural path. Like it's what I was meant to do, if that makes sense. Atheism brought resistance in my heart. Islam brings no resistance. An Atheist is a man or woman who has not, cannot, or will not open themselves up to God and the idea that this vast, amazing universe has a creator.

Sm412
03-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Thank you all for the replies :) and I've been slacking on my prayers but I will make an effort to work them into my schedule.

Sm412
03-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Oh one more thing. Could you guys check out my post entitled "unbelievers and their destiny" under the New Muslims section? I could use some advice.

noraina
03-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

Welcome to the forum, brother, you will inshaAllah find your stay here beneficial. A great place to inspire and be inspired and share knowledge.
MashaAllah you made the best decision you will ever make, you'll find that with Islam your whole life seems to pull itself together and find a purpose, a destination to aim for.
JazakAllah for sharing your experiences with us, reading such things often inspires me to become a better Muslim myself inshaAllah.

Hamza :)
03-27-2016, 11:18 AM
wa'alaykumas salam bro

Good to have you here, enjoy your stay :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.