/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interest based student loan

anonymous
03-31-2016, 11:17 PM
Asalaamu alaykum
I took out a loan a few years back before I was practicing and before I knew it was haraam

So my question is do I have to pay I back? I pay monthly out of my pay which automatically comes out as I earn above the limit but should I start paying more of it.

I am. In huge debt. By the time I'm 65 the debt will clear automatically

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
04-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I found the following resource that I think might be of interest and use to you: http://seekershub.org/blog/2016/01/d...ives-rizqwise/

It has many rulings about debt-related questions, and it offers tips to help you get out of debt.

As for paying back monies you borrowed... yes, of course you should pay it back! It is so serious to have a debt, that the Prophet (SAWS) would refuse to pray the funeral prayer until any debt the deceased owed was paid in full.

This opinion may also be useful to you:

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question: Assalam alaykum,
When I was studying, I took a loan out to cover the cost of my tuition fees. However, I am currently earning below the Student Loan Company’s repayment threshold.
Is it mandatory for me to start paying the debt though I’m not required to payback at this moment by this company?

Answer: In the Name of Allah, the Merciful and Compassionate
Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah

I pray this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

The key concerns would be:

(1) if your debt is accumulating interest (riba), then you have to expedite repayment, within reasonable ability;
(2) you shouldn’t unduly avoid repayment;
(3) it is permissible to delay repayment when below their threshold–and recommended to take the means of hastening repayment, and acquiring the financial capacity to repay.

Please see: Debt: How It Destroys Lives, How You Can Fight It

And Allah is the giver of success and facilitation.
Faraz Rabbani

Source: http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2016/02/09/12995/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.