/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Only 4% of Britons believe Prevent is working

Glac09
04-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Only a tiny percentage of people think the Prevent counter extremism policy is working, new research has revealed.

The poll, which was conducted by independent research agency BMG Research, found just four per cent of the public believe current measures are effective, while 19 per cent had no idea the government even had an anti-radicalisation strategy.

BMG polled 1,511 adults, of whom 55 per cent did not think anti-radicalisation efforts were working. It follows a call by the UK’s terror watchdog for an independent review of Prevent.

Prevent is a key part of the government’s counter-terrorism efforts, with teachers, lecturers, social workers, prison officers and NHS managers under a legal obligation to report signs of radicalisation.

BMG Research director Dr Michael Turner said: “The Government is clearly doing a poor job communicating any progress of its strategy to the wider public.”

Bella Sankey, director of policy for human rights group Liberty, told the Evening Standard that the poll was a “****ing indictment” of Prevent, which she branded “clumsy and offensive.” She said: “The government has had no qualms dismissing the valid concerns of human rights campaigners, teachers and religious groups, but the British public will prove harder to brush off.”

Security minister John Hayes said more than 400,000 people have been trained to recognise the signs of radicalisation. “On top of this, there have been more than 4,000 referrals, with hundreds of people at risk of being drawn into terrorism accepting voluntary support.”

More...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
04-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Whhaaaaat?

...55% think anti radicalisation efforts are not working?

Based on what exactly?

...maybe every news broadcast should take five minutes to explain what prevent has been doing today..

Every day..

See if they work more than 4% of the time.

Five minutes every day..

Most days it's just like we visited these people in the mosque today..

Cut away to this yoot centre.

Panned shot of Muslims walking down high street... Up high street if it pleases them.

Maybe a full length crime stoppers or police camera action.. When they actually catch people.

We would all feel at ease then for sure.

But seriously, I'm patronising but maybe they need to spend more on marketing.

..like American media, maybe a few minutes of fluffy puppies or local heroes to end the news would change a person without them knowing..

Although I'm not really for sublibimanalal advertising.

...I'm not even mad.

Just don't check my internet history :|

But seriously invent an app already... Or maybe not?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.