/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teacher calls 12 year old boy a terrorist in US school

Glac09
04-05-2016, 11:05 PM

A teacher in Texas who called a 12-year-old boy a “terrorist” has been placed on paid administrative leave.

The Independent reports that the schoolboy, 12 year-old Waleed Abushaaban, was watching the film “Bend It Like Beckham” with his classmates at the First Colony Middle School in Fort Bend County when he was insulted by the teacher.

“We were in the class watching a movie,” explained Abushaaban to reporters, “and I was just laughing at the movie and the teacher said, ‘I wouldn’t be laughing if I was you.’ And I said why? She said, ‘because we all think you’re a terrorist.”

He added that classmates started to make fun of him with comments like: “I see a bomb!”

The English and Language Arts teacher was put on paid leave and the pupil’s family wish the teacher to be fired and for the school to provide religious sensitivity training for pupils and teachers.

The teacher argued to the school she made the comment to “make a point about negative stereotypes”.

The boy’s father Malek told the press that his son has been raised to be an American and that “is all he knows”. “Just because my son is a Muslim does not mean he is a terrorist,” he said.

The school district authorities said in a statement that after they learned of the incident the teacher was immediately placed on leave.

“While the teacher reports her statements were made in the context of trying to make a point about negative stereotypes, District officials do not believe that the teacher exercised the appropriate sensitivity expected of the District’s educators, and do not believe that the statements were made in a manner that is in keeping with the District’s Core Beliefs and Commitments,” the statement read.

More...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
LaSorcia
04-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Ok, I am really disgusted by this for several reasons. First of all, I would like to say that Texas is larger than many European countries. Just because it is part of the USA doesn't mean that it is culturally homogeneous with the rest of the country. Many folks here think it's a foreign country lol.

Here's why I'm disgusted:
1-Any adult calling a 12yr old a terrorist needs some help. Texas is known as a 'Christian' state, but not necessarily in truth. More legalism and less love. I know that Isa Ibn Maryam wouldn't recognize behaviour like this as Christian. If this teacher truly thought this child was being raised to be brainwashed into terrorism, they should have prayed for the family and taken steps to help, not insult and abuse in front of others.

2-What in the world was the school doing showing a movie like this to school kids??? Texas doesn't have a reputation for being very feminist. This movie doesn't either. I am a feminist- by my definition, mean that both sexes are of equal value in God's eyes, should be given equal opportunities. Yes, we might have different roles sometimes, but there is the odd person here and there that has talents from Allah that are not usually for one's sex. Those folks should be given the opportunity to fulfill those gifts.

Having said that, this movie claims to be feminist by showing women doing things that have been culturally prohibited, but it also shows women dressed in less than I wear to sleep in! This is neither Godly nor feminist. I am really angry that a school is showing movies like this to children. It's nothing but bad propaganda.

3-I hope this poor child doesn't have bad memories that impair him as he gets older from this experience. There is a reason why Allah made us aware of this event: now we can all make dua for him. In fact, we have the responsibility to do so!

Thank you for listening to me. :nervous:

Abz2000
04-06-2016, 06:00 AM
If she was really trying to make the students aware of the method which is regularly used by mass media to induce positive group thinking and then it must have been genius, next time a person says "we don't like such and such person/thing", it will make the audience evaluate more before just jumping blindly aboard the gangwagon.
That said, bend it like beckham is a lousy movie in terms of positive motivation and teaching. It would mess kids minds up even more.

GodIsAll
04-07-2016, 01:40 PM
As an educator myself, I have to wonder why any class would be watching "Bend It Like Beckham".
I need to learn more about this movie.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
04-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Will somebody please teach that teacher how to teach?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.