/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Temple of Baal to Be Erected in NYC, London, and Hundreds of Other Cities

Simply_Logical
04-06-2016, 03:11 PM
3-D printing to bring Syrian arch destroyed by ISIS back to life

A towering arch of an ancient temple in Palmyra, Syria, that has been mostly destroyed by ISIS terrorists will be recreated by a huge 3-D printer and put on display in New York City this spring, officials said on Monday.

The life-size model of the original 2,000-year-old structure, known as the Arch of the Temple of Bel, will stand approximately 48 feet high and 23 feet wide.

It will be one of two constructed in China for exhibition likely in Times Square and London’s Trafalgar Square as part of a World Heritage Week event in April 2016, said Roger Michel, executive director for the Institute for Digital Archaeology.

His organization uses 3-D cameras to document at-risk cultural sites throughout the Middle East and North Africa through the institute’s Million Image Project.

“We hope it is viewed as a constructive response to what has happened there,” Michel said, referring to the move by ISIS soldiers to eradicate Syria’s cultural history.

The establishment of the Institute for Digital Archaeology was a joint effort by Harvard University, Oxford University in Great Britain and Dubai’s Museum of the Future.

The temple, dedicated in 32 AD to the Mesopotamian god Bel, attracted 150,000 tourists yearly until 2011, when the civil war in Syria began.

In August, ISIS soldiers razed most of the structure with a series of powerful explosions, leaving behind only a 50-foot arch, according to satellite photos of the historic site.

The current status of the arch is unknown.

A plan to exhibit a model of the Temple of Bel — also known as the Temple of Baal — in Times Square or Union Square is awaiting approval from the Mayor’s Office, Michel said.

“I’m sure it will turn on issues of traffic flow and security,” he told The Post. “I know it’s pending.”

The institute plans to construct approximately 1,000 such versions of the arch in cities throughout the world.

http://nypost.com/2015/12/29/3-d-pri...-back-to-life/
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/op...uins.html?_r=3
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-Ne...8221451305365/
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ondon-new-york

p.s wasnt sure where to post this

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
04-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Cringe.. When I went to Tunisia I visited lots of gladiatorial arenas and unfortunately a Baal monument..

Unknowingly.

Strange days, although the lasting memories are of sidi bu saide looking out onto the ocean and praying the travelers prayer in some of the local mosque's.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation....er=17&verse=31

Simply_Logical
04-06-2016, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Cringe.. When I went to Tunisia I visited lots of gladiatorial arenas and unfortunately a Baal monument..

Unknowingly.

Strange days, although the lasting memories are of sidi bu saide looking out onto the ocean and praying the travelers prayer in some of the local mosque's.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation....er=17&verse=31
funny you say that ive also been to a gladiator colosseum in tunisia lol

interesting that theyre making so much effort to make replicate these temples...

M.I.A.
04-06-2016, 04:47 PM
I only hope it out of ignorance..

Because if they visited the real thing it would creep them out no end..

Seriously, people would be put off if they knew what they were used for..

The gladiatorial arenas were smaller than the theatrical arenas..

Something I noted really..

Today's civility only knows boxing and mma. :/

Still all a money game... Pay per view and betting shops.

And a big hurray for Hollywood.

...but then again, they didn't demolish Auschwitz

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
04-06-2016, 05:37 PM
The 2,000-year-old structure, known as the Arch of the Temple of Bel is sure more important than life of hundreds of thousands people in Syria and Iraq. They can rebuild temples or make new excavations of old temples but lives of those victims of wars they never can´t get back to live. Now people in the West are against Daesh because of some old pile of stones while they should moan for the losted lives.

Simply_Logical
04-06-2016, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
I only hope it out of ignorance..

Because if they visited the real thing it would creep them out no end..

Seriously, people would be put off if they knew what they were used for..

The gladiatorial arenas were smaller than the theatrical arenas..

Something I noted really..

Today's civility only knows boxing and mma. :/

Still all a money game... Pay per view and betting shops.

And a big hurray for Hollywood.

...but then again, they didn't demolish Auschwitz
well im sure they had a satanic temple that recently opened in america, think it was last december or something like that

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
The 2,000-year-old structure, known as the Arch of the Temple of Bel is sure more important than life of hundreds of thousands people in Syria and Iraq. They can rebuild temples or make new excavations of old temples but lives of those victims of wars they never can´t get back to live. Now people in the West are against Daesh because of some old pile of stones while they should moan for the losted lives.
yea i agree and im pretty sure the pagans used to worship at the temple of baal,
also interesting that theyre not rebuilding any churches etc

M.I.A.
04-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Strange days, when our sins catch up to us we either change or face consequence..

Everybody has there own time and ultimately the hands of fate are our own..

Of the evil doers there own hands will be there undoing, very badly paraphrased.

Enforced piety can hardly be described as such.. But at least most still have fear of God.

...we will walk away from our sins some day.

sister herb
04-06-2016, 05:56 PM
I remember how dismayed and judgmental many people were when Saddam Hussein rebuilt old temples of Babylon in Iraq. The scientists said it wasn´t right and all rebuilding was only part of egoism of Hussein. If they now rebuilt this temple, whose ego it will mean to prop up?

Simply_Logical
04-06-2016, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I remember how dismayed and judgmental many people were when Saddam Hussein rebuilt old temples of Babylon in Iraq. The scientists said it wasn´t right and all rebuilding was only part of egoism of Hussein. If they now rebuilt this temple, whose ego it will mean to prop up?
true i mean the really interesting thing is its going to be in so many cities too

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.