/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to neuro-atypical Muslims

strivingobserver98
04-08-2016, 06:26 PM

-Muslims with eating disorders that get triggered during Ramadan, who feel obligated to explain why they’re not fasting to nosey aunties

-Muslims on psych meds who can’t fast because without medication they can’t function, who feel uncomfortable explaining this to everyone who asks why they aren’t fasting

-Muslims with ADD who struggle to perform Salah, Taraweeh, read Qur'an, etc.

-Muslims with depression who sometimes find it hard to get out of bed and do the obligatory prayers or go to Masjid

-Muslims with Bipolar who find Islamic obligations easy on some days and impossible on others, who are seen as flaky or flip-floppy about faith

-Muslims with social anxiety who are afraid to pray in masjid because of fear of making mistakes or being looked at

-Muslims with dissociative issues who struggle with performing Salah and other obligations due to fear/threat of dissociating

-Muslims with PTSD, sensory issues or agoraphobia who are unable to go to masjid or other crowded areas & get seen as rude/snobby, or feel isolated

-Muslims with low self worth, suicidal ideations, etc that feel guilty because of that.

-Muslims with autism who are viewed/treated as a difficult test for their families

-Muslims with mental health issues who are told they need prayer or that their issues are caused by lack of imaan.

-All Muslims with any other mental health issue that I forgot to add that affects their practice of Islam & treatment in the Ummah

You are valid.

Your Islam is valid.

And you are Allah (SWT)’s beautiful creation.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
04-08-2016, 07:04 PM
I told my co-worker that i can't fast because I have dodgy kidneys... Got stitches to prove it...honestly.

...he goes.. Why you no pray though?

Out cold..

Always room for improvement. :/

noraina
04-08-2016, 07:04 PM
This is beautiful, ma'sha'Allah, someone very close to me cannot read Salah because of a very valid health problem, even though they appear perfectly fine on the outside. It upsets me to no end when other people judge them based on this.

As a Psychology student myself, I have noticed a lot of Muslims know little about mental health - if they cannot see it then it doesn't exist. I have heard too many say depression is just a fad among teenagers, or caused by lack of imaan or strength or whatever.

JazakAllah khayr, brother, :)

lonewolf007
04-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Good information thanks for sharing it bro.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strivingobserver98
04-09-2016, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
As a Psychology student myself, I have noticed a lot of Muslims know little about mental health - if they cannot see it then it doesn't exist. I have heard too many say depression is just a fad among teenagers, or caused by lack of imaan or strength or whatever.
Good observation :thumbs_up.

For any Muslim youths struggling with mental health issues, this is a great place to talk to someone and get help :)

http://www.myh.org.uk/

noraina
04-09-2016, 02:58 PM
I've heard of this, ma'sha'Allah. Alhamdulillah that there are people trying to reach out to the Muslim youth, I just think the teenagers of today go through very different problems from their parents, the so-called generation gap.

Serinity
04-09-2016, 04:50 PM
I suffer mainly of OCD.. Kinda.......... In maths I double check my answers....... it gets obssessive.

A basic: 2040+3051=5091 sometimes makes me go OCD.

M.I.A.
04-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Well in a world that only accepts first answers °-° ..not entirely a bad quality..

-----------

..0+1=1, 4+5=9 etc.. If only you remember where you put your pen :p

...I have noticed the numbers don't line up.. But I'm OK with it.. For today.

Serinity
04-10-2016, 07:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Well in a world that only accepts first answers °-° ..not entirely a bad quality..

-----------

..0+1=1, 4+5=9 etc.. If only you remember where you put your pen :p

...I have noticed the numbers don't line up.. But I'm OK with it.. For today.
Exactly. And if the multiplications:
(2)
5 x 251
----------

I also go OCD with the numbers...... 3, 6, and 9. :(

and with:
(1)
------

Man, :( I get kufr thoughts with some numbers. Should stop with the thinking.
(2)
3 x 599
--------------

M.I.A.
04-10-2016, 01:03 PM
You seem kinda good at the math, maybe you should start a maths thread.. Bout that time of year again..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.