/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Birth Week?

anatolian
04-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Salam Aleykum.

The week between the dates 14-20 April is being celebrated as "Kutlu Doğum Haftası"/The Holy(Happy) Birth Week here in Turkey since 1989 as an organization of the Turkish Presidency of Religious Affairs assuming that the exact birth date of the Prophet (pbuh) according to solar calendar was 20th of April 571. It is celebrated with colorful celebrations all over the country, Seminars and conferences featuring the Prophet (pbuh) are held as part of the Week of the Holy Birth organization. Books on the life of the Prophet and copies of the Quran are handed out. Treats are offered to the people attending events. Roses as symbol of the Holy Birth are distributed. Recitations from the Quran are made. Holy Birth events and activities are organized to better understand the Prophet (pbuh) and strengthen feelings of solidarity, fraternity and helping in the society around the love of the Prophet.

So my question is what do you think of this event? Do you think it is a bidah or a nice way to remember the Prophet s.a.w ? There is a controversy about it really...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Serinity
04-14-2016, 05:29 PM
:salam:

I don't think it is ok to celebrate The Prophet's SAW birthday. Especially since the sahabahs didn't do it, afaik.

Allahu alam.

noraina
04-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Allahu A'lam,

It is very controversial, I personally think this can become a problem - when specific rituals or symbols become associated with the birth of the Prophet (pbuh) it will become something like Christmas or Easter. There are specific hadiths pertaining to this - specifically warning against celebrating things like this.

I think there should be a limit. There is nothing wrong with remembering the Prophet (pbuh), reading his Seerah, increasing love for him - but then this should be done at all times, shouldn't it? These people certainly don't mean any harm but national celebrations or major events make me uncomfortable.

Allah knows best, .

sister herb
04-14-2016, 05:46 PM
I think that meaning is good if it helps people to increase their knowledge about Islam. But we know people - they basicly love feasts. As sis noraina wrote, there is a risk that this kind of "week" will become just similar like Christmas has changed in the Christian countries where business takes power and people think that this is just one reason to buy things (gifts).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.