/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry

MuhammadIbrahim
04-17-2016, 09:34 AM
I am a teacher of English. I am very enthusiastic and I always want to do everything at work 100 % right. The problem is the administration, students and colleagues don't care about the process of good teaching. They just care about satisfying the students and their parents. I feel I am swimming against the stream. I suffer a lot when I see my colleagues, who don't work one third hard as I do, are promoted.
My question is: Should I not resist and follow their way because I really became exhausted, or continue my suffering?
P.S: If I resign and join another private school, i am sure I will face the same situation. I have found that in four different private schools before.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bhabha
04-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Salam brother,

I totally understand how you feel. I have the same problem when I want to be harsh on my own students, but the lack of tenure for the professor I am assisting goes against the teaching structure I would have liked to implement. :( Which kind of private schools are you currently working in? Are they British? American? etc.?

MuhammadIbrahim
04-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Thank you brother/sister! It is really nice of you to try to comfort me. I seek sincerity in my work but it is very difficult, indeed. Life is full of hypocrisy.
I work for a national Saudi Arabian school.
What about you?

Bhabha
04-17-2016, 08:03 PM
ألعفو

I teach at my uni as a teaching assistant. Hehehe so I do the tutorials and these kind of things. I have issues with students who are lazy. But the professor gets worried about her evaluations from the students so I have to accommodate her worries.

Are you able to do tutoring or private sessions? For students who want to achieve more.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuhammadIbrahim
04-17-2016, 08:09 PM
Hello sister,
Yes, I am surely able to do so. I have got a CELTA certificate from the British Council, Cambridge University.
CELTA means: a certicifate in English language teaching to adults.
It has been nice hearing from you. I am currently a limited member so I can't send you messages. I am working on increasing my posts so that I become a full member. Whenever I achieve tmessages to keep in touch. hat, i will send you messages to keep in touch.

Bhabha
04-17-2016, 08:11 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

We can always post here. I think messages between opposite genders is forbidden.

MuhammadIbrahim
04-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Well sister,
I agree with you. We mustn't message each other. I apologize.

hamzahqadri1
04-17-2016, 09:30 PM
As Salamualaikum
Al Humdullilah you are educators and educating the next generation of scholars. I'm sure it's a challenge only a few can do. The politics behind promotions and who is most deserving is unparalleled. I'd suggest hanging in their and getting some more years under your belt to affect the change you deserve.

hamzahqadri1
04-17-2016, 09:40 PM
I am part of a home school co-op and we are looking for new ideas to motivate our teacher's to educate our student's who have fallen behind. Any idea's?

IrfanUllahKhan
04-17-2016, 10:26 PM
I can exactly feel it, as I myself left teaching in two colleges due to same reason, and at the end started my own venture.

You are right that if you quit the job and join some other school, you might face the same situation, so your best bet is to start your own school, or at least a small academy where you teach English. Be your own boss! That is the only way you will feel happy about your ambitions and work!

hamzahqadri1
04-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Good Answer!

IrfanUllahKhan
04-17-2016, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hamzahqadri1
Good Answer!
Jazak Allah Khair for appreciation!

*charisma*
05-06-2016, 12:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadIbrahim
I am a teacher of English. I am very enthusiastic and I always want to do everything at work 100 % right. The problem is the administration, students and colleagues don't care about the process of good teaching. They just care about satisfying the students and their parents. I feel I am swimming against the stream. I suffer a lot when I see my colleagues, who don't work one third hard as I do, are promoted.
My question is: Should I not resist and follow their way because I really became exhausted, or continue my suffering?
P.S: If I resign and join another private school, i am sure I will face the same situation. I have found that in four different private schools before.
Assalamu Alaikum,

While reading your post I had flashbacks about working as a teacher in KSA. I agree with you 100%. If you know you won't get in trouble by your employers, then do things your own way. You have to stand strong about these things with the parents because they tend to try to bribe the teachers, or they'll blame you if their kids are not doing well in your class. I also think clear and constant communication is helpful to let the parents know the progress of their child.

MuhammadIbrahim
05-15-2016, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum,

While reading your post I had flashbacks about working as a teacher in KSA. I agree with you 100%. If you know you won't get in trouble by your employers, then do things your own way. You have to stand strong about these things with the parents because they tend to try to bribe the teachers, or they'll blame you if their kids are not doing well in your class. I also think clear and constant communication is helpful to let the parents know the progress of their child.
Dear, sister Charisma,
I am glad to hear your comment and appreciate your interaction and sharing your experience with me. It also eases me when I feel someone has shared me what I feel. Please, pray to Allah for me! I really need an exit.
Thank you again! May Allah The Almighty bless you!

MuslimInshallah
05-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Muhammad Ibrahim,

(smile) Being the best teacher that you can be for the sake of Allah, would make this a form of worship. So that, even if your rewards are not in this world, perhaps they could be Rewarded in the Next?

Also... might I suggest that if you are exhausting yourself trying to do things 100% right, i.e. perfectly... perhaps it might be useful to realize that only Allah is Perfect, and only He can Do things Perfectly...?

(smile) So perhaps you can go on being a committed and passionate teacher, and let go of expecting any reward from school administrators (though if they do, then that is nice)? (twinkle) And perhaps you could also let go of trying to be perfect...? (smile) We humans also need to take times to rest, as well as times of effort.

And if you wish to do work that seems more meaningful for you... perhaps you could consider teaching/tutoring children who could not normally afford such excellent English lessons? (smile) I know a physician who works in Canada much of the year (and this pays his bills), but then takes "vacations" in another, poorer, country, to tend to people there. He finds this work very enriching and invigorating.

May Allah, the Enricher and the Withholder, Gift us with what is best for us in both this life and the Next... and Help us to understand His Gifts.

*charisma*
05-16-2016, 03:58 AM
Dear, sister Charisma,
I am glad to hear your comment and appreciate your interaction and sharing your experience with me. It also eases me when I feel someone has shared me what I feel. Please, pray to Allah for me! I really need an exit.
Thank you again! May Allah The Almighty bless you!
May Allah ease your affairs, brother. Where do you plan on working afterwards? Where are you originally from? Perhaps one of the other gulf countries is more suitable?

MuhammadIbrahim
05-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Thank you very much for your Doaa [prayer] sister! At the moment, I don't have any plans. I have been using recruitment sites such as tefl and bayt but I have never received any respond. By the way, I am Arab [not a native speaker of English]. I teach English as a foreign language. The problem is the Arabin gulf countries prefer native teachers. Please, sister, pray for me. I need pious people's prayers.
May Allah ease your affairs, brother. Where do you plan on working afterwards? Where are you originally from? Perhaps one of the other gulf countries is more suitable?

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 11:37 AM
If you work 3 times harder than your colleagues, how is it they get promoted and you don't? What do they do differently? I guess the workplace is a challenging place so everyone is competing for positions. I've never had a job so I don't know but Inshallah you get the position you're deserved.

*charisma*
05-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Thank you very much for your Doaa [prayer] sister! At the moment, I don't have any plans. I have been using recruitment sites such as tefl and bayt but I have never received any respond. By the way, I am Arab [not a native speaker of English]. I teach English as a foreign language. The problem is the Arabin gulf countries prefer native teachers. Please, sister, pray for me. I need pious people's prayers.
Mashallah, I completely understand your difficulties. Inshallah things get easier. Usually during summertime or right before schools begin is when they will try to recruit new teachers. I also hate the prejudice that native speaking teachers are better, because I have seen some teachers work much harder than them with much more experience only to get paid less cuz they're local. I hope things change :/

MuhammadIbrahim
05-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Yes, sister. You completely understand. I admit I am not as fluent as a native speaker, but I have got strong teaching skills and techniques . You know I have got the CELTA certificate plus 10 years of teaching experience. May Allah bestow me with a better job soon.
Mashallah, I completely understand your difficulties. Inshallah things get easier. Usually during summertime or right before schools begin is when they will try to recruit new teachers. I also hate the prejudice that native speaking teachers are better, because I have seen some teachers work much harder than them with much more experience only to get paid less cuz they're local. I hope things change :/

*charisma*
05-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Inshallah ameen, May Allah bring to you what's best for you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.