/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halal Envy "Halenvy"

strivingobserver98
04-19-2016, 06:00 PM
On Halal Envy.

There is a type of envy (حَسَد) which was described as acceptable by the Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) - this has been described as غِبطة. It pertains to anyone who has been granted more than you - in wealth or knowledge - and spreads it in the service of humanity, so you wish you could do likewise.

I have halal envy for those who surpass me in my chosen speciality, Tafsir and Quranic studies. Likewise, I halenvy those who have broader and deeper understanding of language, hadith, fiqh and history. They can clarify and contextualise those things that I know, or think I know.

But I'll tell you who I don't halenvy at all: those who are experts in the differences between people and the flaws of their opponents. That is knowledge I just don't need, and don't have time to worry about.

- Sohaib Saeed

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
04-20-2016, 10:00 AM
To compete in good deeds for the sake of Allah SWT is always a good thing, :)

Reminded me of this hadith, Umar ibn Al-Khattab reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, ordered us to give charity and at the time I possessed some wealth. I said to myself, “If there is a day I can do better than Abu Bakr, then this is the one.” So I went with half of my wealth to the Messenger of Allah and he said, “What have you left for your family?” I said, “The same amount.” Then Abu Bakr came with everything he had. The Prophet said, “O Abu Bakr, what have you left for your family?” He said, “Allah and His messenger.” I said, “By Allah, I will never do better than Abu Bakr.”

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.