/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Latvia bans the niqab in public places

Glac09
04-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Latvia has banned Muslim women from wearing the niqab in public, despite only three people being known to wear them in the entire country.

Authorities say the new law is necessary in order to “protect Latvian culture” and prevent terrorists from smuggling weapons under garments.

The move follows a similar ban on full-face veils in public spaces implemented by France in 2011.

Latvia’s Justice Minister Dzintars Rasnacs said the law – which he hopes will come into place by 2017 – is less to do with the number of women wearing the face veil, but rather about ensuring prospective immigrants respect the country’s values.

“A legislator’s task is to adopt preventative measures,” Mr Rasnacs told the New York Times. “We do not only protect Latvian cultural-historical values, but the cultural-historical values of Europe.”

Latvia – a small country with an estimated population of two million – agreed to accept 776 refugees over the next two years as part of the European Union’s efforts to resettle refugees.

Feminist groups reacted to the plans by organising a “niqab day” at a political sciences institute in Paris. Dozens of students wore veils handed out by the protesters at Sciences Po, to highlight discrimination faced by Muslim women.

There are thought to be around a thousand “practicing Muslims” living in Latvia.

Speaking about the proposed ban, former Latvian president Vaira Vike-Freiberga said that those wearing a niqab or burqa “at a time of terrorism” presented a “danger to society”.

“Anybody could be under a veil or under a burqa,” she said. “You could carry a rocket launcher under your veil. It’s not funny.”

More...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
04-23-2016, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Glac09
“Anybody could be under a veil or under a burqa,” she said. “You could carry a rocket launcher under your veil. It’s not funny.”
Surely it´s not funny but they also should ban people to use loose-fitting dresses or jackets. Better if people would walk on public wearing only the bikinis.

What was good in this news, they did not at least pretend to defend women's rights as the French. They only are openly racists.

noraina
04-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Meh. 'A danger to society'. In that respect, I find goths and punks more intimidating than a woman in niqab. But in fairness to them I suppose, the way ISIS are so unashamedly using Islam as a justification for their actions and associating our Deen with terrorism, the fear people may have for those who look obviously Muslim is inevitable, if not exactly making sense. Still, this is a step backwards, rather than forwards.

And a long trench coat or a large rucksack can hide far more than an abaya, this is poor justification.

sister herb
04-23-2016, 02:36 PM
And this:

only three people being known to wear them in the entire country
I bet there also haven´t any evidences that those three people would carry under their clothes anything danger "for a society".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Bhabha
04-23-2016, 03:04 PM
The European value of protecting culture. Lol simply contradictory [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

hisnameiszzz
04-23-2016, 03:21 PM
This sounds like the tip of the iceberg. Wait till they start closing Mosques down.

What a stupid concept thought if they think folk are going to carry guns and stuff in their outfits. Will the same rule apply for nuns also and priests and bishops and cardinals with their flowing robes?

They may as well ask people to walk around naked. Someone might carry a gun in their underpants! And whilst they are at it why not ban shopping bags and pushchairs and prams too!

noraina
04-23-2016, 03:47 PM
So annoying really, and hypocritical when they bang on about freedom of speech or freedom of expression. This law is going to have the precise opposite effect on what it was supposedly meant to counter.

Bhabha
04-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Let's not forget freedom of religion. The assumption that European culture is monolithic. I really really want Muslim countries to all implement strict clothing. No need to see half naked women in Dubai.

sister herb
04-23-2016, 03:52 PM
The societies of the Eastern European countries are usually well known about their suspiciousness and quite direct racism against strange cultures and immigrants. By this, kind of laws aren´t very surprising. Other thing is that during their recent history has the era of Soviet rule, when their own culture was in real danger. Anyways, making kind of law because a tiny monirity (Muslims whose use niqab) is just only a over-reaction.

Serinity
04-23-2016, 03:55 PM
If they want people to go naked on the street. I encourage every Muslim country to ban indecent clothing and force people to go with decent clothing.

sister herb
04-23-2016, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Let's not forget freedom of religion. The assumption that European culture is monolithic. I really really want Muslim countries to all implement strict clothing. No need to see half naked women in Dubai.
Or in Tunisia or in Egypt or in Jordan... But they would blame Muslims as the narrow-mindedness. Freedom is one of the values what European societies never stops to glorify. Specially when they impose their own values to others.

Serinity
04-23-2016, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Or in Tunisia or in Egypt or in Jordan... But they would blame Muslims as the narrow-mindedness. Freedom is one of the values what European societies never stops to glorify. Specially when they impose their own values to others.
Their concept of freedom is "if you obey us, and come with us, you can do whatever you want, just don't act Muslim, or implement Islam" Audhu billah.

They want to eradicate Islam. However Islam will prevail, even though they dislike it.

noraina
04-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Forced freedom. I agree, Muslim countries should enforce rules of modesty. The entire world condemns Saudi Arabia's enforcement of hijab but supports Frances decisions to dictate to Muslims women what they should wear. Here any claims of democracy fly out the window.

BeTheChange
04-23-2016, 04:09 PM
The more a government body restricts and oppresses a group the more publicity & awareness the restriction raises.

So even though they may be using 'security' as a reason for their ban it will only encourage more people to convert/revert and the Muslims to be more practising insha Allah. Some might even migrate and practise their faith in a land which permits Islamic rules.

Terrorism won't stop with the banning of niqaabs.

Terrorism will only stop if the governments stop invading Muslim countries.

sister herb
04-23-2016, 04:12 PM
This ban reminds me about the parody song from the movie "Fiddler on the roof", it´s Muslim version. Ok, it has music so I don´t put link here (but you can ask it from google as "If I was not a Muslim").

From the video:

"..if I were a Christian, I wouldn´t have to prove I am a human too, because when you are a Christian you are always civilized, no matter what you wear or do..."

:hmm:

M.I.A.
04-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Well, thanks ISIS!!!

...can't get through airport security? Not kanye West?

Thanks ISIS!!

But seriously, those three women.. Should not marry extremists.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...en-who-7805271

anatolian
04-23-2016, 04:57 PM
The reason of Latvian authorities give for the ban is extremely stupid..hiding weapons under niqab..

However, I personally think that Muslim women don't need to wear niqab..It is a culture more than a commandment..And it hides the identity if a police ask you to show your face can you resist that?

hisnameiszzz
04-23-2016, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
The reason of Latvian authorities give for the ban is extremely stupid..hiding weapons under niqab..

However, I personally think that Muslim women don't need to wear niqab..It is a culture more than a commandment..And it hides the identity if a police ask you to show your face can you resist that?
Surely it's the woman's choice if she wears one or not. And yes if the Police asked her to show her face then that's okay too as long as the Police had good reason to question her.

Bhabha
04-23-2016, 05:09 PM
The wearing of the niqab right now in an age of quick snaps and phone pictures is to enforce the protection of women from having their face randomly snapped. I see so many pictures of Muslim women online. Pictures that were not snapped by anyone other than a curious George who wanted to see get that picture. Niqabs protect against this random and quite common intrusion of privacy. If no one can protect me from having my face randomly snapped in public and broadcasted on the internet then why should I be prevented from wearing something to ensure this protection?

anatolian
04-23-2016, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
Surely it's the woman's choice if she wears one or not. And yes if the Police asked her to show her face then that's okay too as long as the Police had good reason to question her.
Yes I think so.

anatolian
04-23-2016, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
The wearing of the niqab right now in an age of quick snaps and phone pictures is to enforce the protection of women from having their face randomly snapped. I see so many pictures of Muslim women online. Pictures that were not snapped by anyone other than a curious George who wanted to see get that picture. Niqabs protect against this random and quite common intrusion of privacy. If no one can protect me from having my face randomly snapped in public and broadcasted on the internet then why should I be prevented from wearing something to ensure this protection?
Salam. But by this logic we men should wear niqab too. We can be snapped randomly in public too. I dont think it is a proper reason the hide your face. Yes we have the right of privacy. If you see your picture somewhere without your permission you can attend the police to move it.

But in this modern age, Muslim women as well as men need to interact with other people and I dont think we can have a healthy interaction as long as we hide our identity..How can I become sure that you are the same person I talked to yesterday if I cant see your face? Just my opinion..

Pygoscelis
04-24-2016, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
If they want people to go naked on the street. I encourage every Muslim country to ban indecent clothing and force people to go with decent clothing.
They don't want or allow people to go naked in the street in Latvia, or go naked pretty much anywhere in Latvia. Nudists are just as opressed as muslims there.

I agree that this law is discriminatory and wrong, but I again note the hypocrisy in muslims who complain of this but oppose rights for nudists, judging them with the same level of bigotry that Latvia is here directing at muslims.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.