/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My grandma wants me to pay for her Hajj.

ReboundMuslimah
04-25-2016, 10:45 AM
WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO!!
I have a student loan to pay off that has interest and than my grandma calls this morning asking me to pay for her hajj. My mom doesn't work and my dads earnings are haram and my grandma doesn't want haram money. I really want to make my Grandma happy but I'm already committing a huge sin, Riba, and I feel like I should get that sorted first. Also keep in mind that I don't have a job yet so interest is accumulating. My grandma really wants to go to Hajj before she dies and I really don't want to let her down. What should I do?

*Please keep me in your duas that I find a job fast.*

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bhabha
04-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Hajj is obligatory for people who can afford it. Has your grandma done umrah?

Look for websites that make donations for Hajj and explain your situation.

noraina
04-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Sis, I can't really help you on this matter,

I will say that from what I have read if you are financially stressed or have a debt or loan or anything like that over your head then you should wait until you perform Hajj, in your case it is different in that you will be paying for it but your grandmother will be going. Someone with more knowledge could clarify this inshaAllah.

Try to get a job as soon as possible inshaAllah, you will be in my duas. In the meantime, why don't you explain your situation to your grandmother? Just tell her you are having problems at the moment, but as soon as you can you will pay for her to go on Hajj, I'm sure she would understand.

GINGERBEARDMAN
04-25-2016, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamchaser
WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO!!
I have a student loan to pay off that has interest and than my grandma calls this morning asking me to pay for her hajj. My mom doesn't work and my dads earnings are haram and my grandma doesn't want haram money. I really want to make my Grandma happy but I'm already committing a huge sin, Riba, and I feel like I should get that sorted first. Also keep in mind that I don't have a job yet so interest is accumulating. My grandma really wants to go to Hajj before she dies and I really don't want to let her down. What should I do?

*Please keep me in your duas that I find a job fast.*
Avoiding riba is obligatory, your grandmother going on hajj if she cannot afford is not. So tell her simply you cannot afford it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ReboundMuslimah
04-25-2016, 06:37 PM
If I tell her I can't afford it that might break her heart. My grandma basically thinks money grows on trees where I live because she lives back home where there's not much stuff, but if she only knew the struggle.

~ Sabr ~
04-26-2016, 08:46 AM
:salamext:

Unless you have done Hajj yourself, you cannot pay for someone else's.

Muslim Woman
04-26-2016, 04:19 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by FreedomStands
Taking "interest" in the modern world is not really so much of a sin because you are the poor person. The Qur'an does not blame the poor person for taking out loans. .

Are u sure ? Pl. give reference from Quran or Hadith

Muslim Woman
04-26-2016, 04:22 PM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by ~ Sabr ~
:salamext:

Unless you have done Hajj yourself, you cannot pay for someone else's.
to my knowledge , one can't go for someone else if s/he did not perform his/her obligatory Hajj . Not sure about sponsorship.

Muslim Woman
04-26-2016, 04:26 PM

I have a student loan to pay off that has interest *

tell grandma Hajj is not obligatory for her . If u take another loan with interest , it may not be halal money for her . She is not taking money from her son but asking u ? That's strange .

Ask a Mufti and explain to her with patience .

ReboundMuslimah
04-26-2016, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

tell grandma Hajj is not obligatory for her . If u take another loan with interest , it may not be halal money for her . She is not taking money from her son but asking u ? That's strange .

Ask a Mufti and explain to her with patience .
My dads earnings are haram and she doesn't want haram money.

ReboundMuslimah
04-26-2016, 06:41 PM
i have a job interview on Thursday, pray for me ya'll. For some weird reason i can never get through the interview process,my nerves always kick in.

ReboundMuslimah
04-26-2016, 07:20 PM
May I know what these haram earnings are? Does he lend money at interest or own a bar or something? I'm just curious.
sorry i can't expose him!

*Whosoever covers (the sins of) a Muslim, Allah covers (his sins) on the Day of Judgment. (Reported by Bukhari)

piXie
04-26-2016, 07:26 PM
Certainly, and thank you for asking.

Firstly, in using your reasoning ability, do you think it is righteous or just (regardless of what anyone thinks any religion says), to blame a poor person in need of borrowing money in order to survive for taking out a loan?

It is not. It is unjust for the giver of the loan to demand of the poor person even more than they asked for initially, thus making the "poor poorer, the rich richer".

The needy person was in need, they are not condemned for being in need.

Now to the Qur'an:

Does reasoning come before the Quran?

The verses you quoted clearly show that interest based transactions are unlawful. It is haram for any Muslim to agree to an unlawful transaction.

The needy person was in need, they are not condemned for being in need
They are not condemned for being in need but they are condemned for agreeing to a transaction severely forbidden by Allah.

We should be careful about speaking without correct knowledge and understanding. This is a very serious matter.

ReboundMuslimah
04-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Can you at least list a few things that are "haram earnings" and include in it what he does without saying which one it is? I just want to better understand what you're talking about or believe in.
-Owing a shisha bar
-Selling drugs
- living off of disability benefits or welfare when capable of working
-stealing
-owning a interest based business, etc.

Those are all haram earnings and what do you mean 'believe in? lol what is there to lie about?

piXie
04-26-2016, 08:37 PM
If one can not avoid taking a loan for their survival, they are not in the same position as the one who is asking for....
Survival? Is someone going to die if they don't get a loan for a house or university fee ?

piXie
04-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Also, I don't care much what anyone else says or any books.
Then your position is quite clear.

Muslim Woman
04-27-2016, 07:04 AM

People take the Qur'an as a God in many cases, and end up going astray due to their own interpretations.....

there are off topic here .

Taking loan with interest is not a must for an old lady to go Hajj . It's not obligatory for her . Family members must convince her that she must not put pressure on anyone to send her to Hajj . If she had enough money and she could sponsor her Muharim , then it was a different matter . Now , it's not . So , pl. don't encourage anyone to disobey Allah . And Allah Knows Best.

Muslim Woman
04-28-2016, 04:48 AM

i have a job interview on Thursday, pray for me ya'll. For some weird reason i can never get through the interview process,my nerves always kick in.

may Allah grants what is best for u .

Muslim Woman
04-28-2016, 04:51 AM

I never once in this thread supported the taking of interest or the practice of usury or interest, and so many came and falsely accused me, and now even the original poster has taken to saying that I don't know what I am talking about. So are you people twisted or something? Is it right to make false accusations out of nowhere with no basis whatsoever? My posts are available for all to see that I didn't say what people are insulting me for at all.

u wrote : Taking "interest" in the modern world is not really so much of a sin because you are the poor person. The Qur'an does not blame the poor person for taking out loans.......

these lines and few other lines gave me ( and may be others ) an impression that u are not against loan with interest .

~ Sabr ~
04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:wa:

to my knowledge , one can't go for someone else if s/he did not perform his/her obligatory Hajj . Not sure about sponsorship.
This is what I mean

~ Sabr ~
04-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Also, I don't care much what anyone else says or any books. If you can afford paying for your grandma and its no major trouble to you, you should do so as a good deed before she dies.

On Judgment day, you can blame me for it, and say I told you to do it. I'm happy to take the credit for an elderly person's hajj, and you should be too! Jump at the opportunity to do good if you're able and it doesn't cause destruction to yourself.
If you are Muslim, you follow the rules of the Shariah. Khalaas.

Bhabha
04-29-2016, 08:42 AM
In the modern world you cannot do anything without using credit because it is so embedded into our systems.

Loans for education, for things that are good are not the same as loans for things which are themselves haram. It's totally different. The context is different.

If you feel stressed out just tell your grandmother that you are unable to pay for her hajj this year and perhaps you can save for next year. ان شاء الله

اللهُ knows best.

~ Sabr ~
04-29-2016, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by bhabha
in the modern world you cannot do anything without using credit because it is so embedded into our systems.

Loans for education, for things that are good are not the same as loans for things which are themselves haram. It's totally different. The context is different.

If you feel stressed out just tell your grandmother that you are unable to pay for her hajj this year and perhaps you can save for next year. ان شاء الله

اللهُ knows best.
she can't pay for her hajj unless this lady has done hajj first.

Bhabha
04-29-2016, 07:37 PM
she can't pay for her hajj unless this lady has done hajj first.
But she can get a sponsor to pay for her grandmothers hajj :) it is charity.

Also, please tell me where it says you can't pay for someone else's hajj unless you have done it. I would like to know where it has been inscribed.

ReboundMuslimah
04-30-2016, 12:09 AM
I told my grandma as soon as I pay off my student loan I'll save up for her Hajj. I don't plan on going to Hajj anytime soon so does that mean I can't send her to Hajj if I haven't went myself?

~ Sabr ~
05-02-2016, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
But she can get a sponsor to pay for her grandmothers hajj :) it is charity.

Also, please tell me where it says you can't pay for someone else's hajj unless you have done it. I would like to know where it has been inscribed.
The shariah rules. Ask any scholar!

~ Sabr ~
05-02-2016, 07:07 AM
I told my grandma as soon as I pay off my student loan I'll save up for her Hajj. I don't plan on going to Hajj anytime soon so does that mean I can't send her to Hajj if I haven't went myself?
Yes. It is in the rules of the Shariah - if you haven't performed Hajj yourself then you cannot pay from someone else to go to Hajj. Please refer to a scholar who will outline it better for you.

Bhabha
05-02-2016, 07:51 AM
The shariah rules. Ask any scholar!
I don't want a scholar. I want a verse on the Quran or the Hadith. Not the word of a scholar. :p

~ Sabr ~
05-02-2016, 08:09 AM
I don't want a scholar. I want a verse on the Quran or the Hadith. Not the word of a scholar. :p

Hajj is obligatory upon the Muslim individual who is physically and financially capable without delay as clarified in Fatwa 87129. Thus, if you are physically and financially capable to perform Hajj, then you have to hasten to perform it without delay. This actually takes precedence over paying the expenses of the Hajj of someone else.

Source

---------------------------

Question: Can one perform Umrah and Hajj on behalf of a dead person as well as living person? Are there any conditions as Hajj is to be performed by one’s own money so how can another person perform Hajj on behalf of someone else?

The answer is yes you can perform the Hajj on behalf of somebody else when that person is dead, on one condition that you yourself already have performed the Hajj, and the evidence for this is that:

Narrated by Abdullah ibn Abbas (RadiAllaahu Anhu): The Prophet :saws: heard a man saying, "Labbaik Allahumma 'An Shubrumah"; "Oh Allah here I am before your hands performing the Hajj on behalf of Shubrumah". So the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) asked the man, "Did you perform the Hajj yourself first?" he said, "No". He (Peace and blessings be upon him) said "First of all perform the Hajj yourself, then you can make the Hajj on behalf of Shubrumah."
[Sunan Abu Dawood, Book 10, Hadith 1807]

Source

~ Sabr ~
05-02-2016, 08:11 AM
See my post above.

Honestly, sometimes it's just common sense which so many people lack. SubhaanAllaah. If people bothered to look into their religion, everything is clear cut!

Bhabha
05-02-2016, 09:35 AM

Hajj is obligatory upon the Muslim individual who is physically and financially capable without delay as clarified in Fatwa 87129. Thus, if you are physically and financially capable to perform Hajj, then you have to hasten to perform it without delay. This actually takes precedence over paying the expenses of the Hajj of someone else.

Source

---------------------------

Question: Can one perform Umrah and Hajj on behalf of a dead person as well as living person? Are there any conditions as Hajj is to be performed by one’s own money so how can another person perform Hajj on behalf of someone else?

The answer is yes you can perform the Hajj on behalf of somebody else when that person is dead, on one condition that you yourself already have performed the Hajj, and the evidence for this is that:

Narrated by Abdullah ibn Abbas (RadiAllaahu Anhu): The Prophet :saws: heard a man saying, "Labbaik Allahumma 'An Shubrumah"; "Oh Allah here I am before your hands performing the Hajj on behalf of Shubrumah". So the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) asked the man, "Did you perform the Hajj yourself first?" he said, "No". He (Peace and blessings be upon him) said "First of all perform the Hajj yourself, then you can make the Hajj on behalf of Shubrumah."
[Sunan Abu Dawood, Book 10, Hadith 1807]

Source
That is talking about her actually physically performing hajj. Nothing about her contributing to the performance of her grandmothers hajj with her hearings or with some of her money. :/

Also no it's not common sense because it's not clearly specified in the Quran or the Hadith. If it's not specified in either, it is fabricated and thus it is bidah that we follow "common sense" in Islam does not exist. Common sense exists in Muslim culture when we assume things we cannot find a proper source for. Or when evidence is weak. Such as this case.

~ Sabr ~
05-02-2016, 09:38 AM
That is talking about her actually physically performing hajj. Nothing about her contributing to the performance of her grandmothers hajj with her hearings or with some of her money. :/

Also no it's not common sense because it's not clearly specified in the Quran or the Hadith. If it's not specified in either, it is fabricated and thus it is bidah that we follow "common sense" in Islam does not exist. Common sense exists in Muslim culture when we assume things we cannot find a proper source for. Or when evidence is weak. Such as this case.
This actually takes precedence over paying the expenses of the Hajj of someone else.
Do you know what? Each to their own. Alhamdulillah I have firm belief and evidence of what I believe. You can do what you want, but don't misguide others! Jaahils...

greenhill
05-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Personally, I feel you emotions are being toyed.

Your grandma can't afford it AND NEITHER CAN YOU!

End of story.

:peace:

~ Sabr ~
05-06-2016, 07:22 AM

Your hadith is there. And instead of giving me negative reputation, LEARN ABOUT YOUR RELIGION and stop misguiding others!!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.