/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion music sticky thread

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:17 AM
make a sticky thread of the permissibility of music so people don't make the same thread topic

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
04-26-2016, 03:14 PM
:sl:

There are many threads, which one do you suggest? :)

ramen-thelegend
04-27-2016, 01:29 AM
please make it fast.
i aslo have to know about islam's rulings on music^o)

maybe we should make this thread the one?

czgibson
05-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Greetings,

The fact that people so often have questions about this topic indicates that the Islamic position on music is unclear to say the least. Humans will continue to enjoy music whether Islamic scholars say it is forbidden or not.

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Bhabha
05-22-2016, 04:37 AM
If a music talks about sex, killing, drugs, alcohol, rape, hurting animals, hurting human beings, stealing. Etc. I think we can safely say this is a NO.

If there are no voices in the music, but it's classical sounds, it is not causing harm to anyone. It's just different sounds creating a melody.

If the song talks about helping your mom, being kind, being good to animals. Etc. Then it's good.

If you are going to listen to music, in the company of the opposite sex, while drinking alcohol. The whole thing, even if the song itself says nothing wrong. Is prohibited !

czgibson
05-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
If a music talks about sex, killing, drugs, alcohol, rape, hurting animals, hurting human beings, stealing. Etc. I think we can safely say this is a NO.

If there are no voices in the music, but it's classical sounds, it is not causing harm to anyone. It's just different sounds creating a melody.

If the song talks about helping your mom, being kind, being good to animals. Etc. Then it's good.

If you are going to listen to music, in the company of the opposite sex, while drinking alcohol. The whole thing, even if the song itself says nothing wrong. Is prohibited !
I think most Islamic scholars would disagree with you. Musical instruments are forbidden, and the subject of the song lyrics makes no difference. If instruments are used, it's haram. At least that is my understanding after many forum discussions about this during the last eleven years.

Peace

EgyptPrincess
05-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Nothing quite like cruising down the road on a warm summers day with the top down blasting out some music ;) I listen to music when studying or just chilling in the shower and I don't see it as haram, perhaps it is I don't know for certain. Some say it is, some say it's not. As long as the music isn't "provocative" or glorifying haram things I don't see the harm.

noraina
05-22-2016, 01:22 PM
There are differing opinions within different schools of thought, no doubt.

However from what I understand not all forms of music are haraam. For example, most instruments are prohibited, however I think ones like the tambourine or drums are permitted, for they were used in the time of the Prophet (pbuh).

And to use the human voice in a melodious way isn't wrong, the lyrics just shouldn't be promoting what is forbidden - for example drugs, alcohol, pre-marital relationships, or murder or violence or whatever. But if it encourages us to do good, or reminds us of Allah swt, it isn't a bad thing.

For example, poetry is often recited in Arab countries, not necessarily religious in nature, and so if singing is like poetry, without instruments or such, then it is allowed.

Obviously we shouldn't have an obsession with music, as can happen. Islam is a religion of balance, so anything in excess is bad, whether it be music, eating, sleeping, even excessively fasting or praying is discouraged. So if you feel like you rely on music too much, it is best to leave it.

Misbah0411
05-22-2016, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

The fact that people so often have questions about this topic indicates that the Islamic position on music is unclear to say the least. Humans will continue to enjoy music whether Islamic scholars say it is forbidden or not.

Peace
Yes, we should just disregard what our scholars say and listen to what Joe Blow atheist says about it because after all he knows what is best for the Muslim and is just trying to look out for us....

Serinity
05-22-2016, 01:38 PM
I have not seen any convincing proof that it is halal. I am more of the opinion it is haram.

EgyptPrincess
05-22-2016, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
I have not seen any convincing proof that it is halal. I am more of the opinion it is haram.
Have you seen convincing proof that it's haram? If so please show me I'd be interested to know.

Asiyah3
05-22-2016, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I think most Islamic scholars would disagree with you. Musical instruments are forbidden, and the subject of the song lyrics makes no difference. If instruments are used, it's haram. At least that is my understanding after many forum discussions about this during the last eleven years.

Peace
Agreed.

Serinity
05-22-2016, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Have you seen convincing proof that it's haram? If so please show me I'd be interested to know.
https://islamqa.info/en/5000

Well some say only drums are permissible. Or if it contains only good stuff. But musical instruments are haram, and I've not seen any proof or convincing enough to label musical instruments halal.

And Allah SWT knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.