/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer some accents to others?

noraina
05-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

Do you prefer some accents over others? Within the UK, I adore Irish, Durham, and Welsh accents, outside of it I love Arabic and French :D they even make English sound beautiful! (Don't like Scottish at all, I'm sorry!)

And do you have the type of accent people find hard to understand? I'm a west-midlands girl so it can be pretty strong, people either love it or hate it, lol. I've received a lot of compliments on the way I speak but on the other end there are those who can barely understand what I'm saying - meaning I have to repeat myself 2-3 times :facepalm:.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BilalKid
05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
american accent only :shade:

ardianto
05-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Wa'alaikumsalam.

I do not speak English in daily life, but I speak Bahasa(language) Indonesia, a language which actually is variant of Bahasa Melayu that spoken by Malaysian people. In official form the difference between two languages is very very few. But there is different intonation between Indonesian and Malaysian people when they speak Indonesian/Melayu. Indonesian intonation is flat, while Malaysian intonation is melodious.

Yes, I love to hear Malaysian accent. They speak like singing. :D

ReboundMuslimah
05-04-2016, 11:27 AM
I wish I had a cool accent:(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ramen-thelegend
05-04-2016, 11:32 AM
i like scottish accents....looks like ...:bump1::outta:

ReboundMuslimah
05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
I really like the Australian accent.

Hamza :)
05-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Too many to name tbh. But some London accents are a cut above the rest. Specially the one Dawah man and Ali Dawah do.

Daniel Radcliffe's accent is my favourite. Out of this world :shade:

Abz2000
05-04-2016, 01:17 PM
I used to have a brummy accent but it changed to london when i went to school in Bangladesh, i think the london accent is better and more usable ibternationally, sunderland and liverpool make me smile though, those people can stretch their words for miles.

noraina
05-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Accents fascinate me. I think it's amazing that England is such a tiny country and yet we have so many different ways of speaking. To the extent that a Midlands and Liverpool accent are mutually unintelligible (from bitter experience,).

Most people from abroad understand the London accent, they seem to think we all speak in received pronunciation - so they find it a bit of a culture shock when only a fraction of the UK's population speaks an English they understand. :D

Muezzin
05-04-2016, 01:36 PM
I read somewhere that even animals have 'accents'. I.e. a moo of a cow from Cornwall sounds different to a moo of a cow from Cardiff.

...I cannot believe I just typed that.

noraina
05-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Lol, I read somewhere that the baby language of infants has accents depending on where they live. So I think I can believe that.

O1SIX1
05-04-2016, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza :)
Too many to name tbh. But some London accents are a cut above the rest. Specially the one Dawah man and Ali Dawah do.

Daniel Radcliffe's accent is my favourite. Out of this world :shade:
Thank you for bigging up the london accent. Now i am feeling well cool knowing i got a lovely accent :shade:

Hamza :)
05-04-2016, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by O1SIX1
Thank you for bigging up the london accent. Now i am feeling well cool knowing i got a lovely accent :shade:
'Some London accents' ;D

ardianto
05-04-2016, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
american accent only :shade:
When I was young Bronx accent was popular among the youth in my place. :p

Serinity
05-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Well................. Idk I like a English accent. Idk what it is called tho.. It is old school. Not too posh, but a mix of 'posh' and 'street accent' kinda thing..

ardianto
05-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Indian people in my city (Bandung, Indonesia) speak English among them. But from what I have heard, they speak English like British, without Indian accent like Indian people in India. Maybe it's because the daily language of Indian people in my place is English, not Hindi.

truthseeker63
05-04-2016, 09:26 PM
I am attracted to Women with foreign accents like French British Russian and so on..

Bhabha
05-04-2016, 11:38 PM
I don't even know what kind of accent I have. Though sometimes for jokes I pull a French accent and a Brazilian accent to confuse people.

As for accents. Hmm I like from the. UAE and from Kuwait, as well as Swedish accent [emoji7][emoji7]

Hopes N Prayers
05-05-2016, 12:01 AM
I speak somali and English but can fake a British accent [emoji4] it's quite fun to annoy people with your non existing accent[emoji23] I also like Scottish for some odd reason[emoji848]

ardianto
05-05-2016, 02:30 AM
Accent may cause misunderstanding.

In mid of 90's when fax (facsimile) was still common, a phone call from Japan came into my fax. I picked up the phone and I heard someone said "fax" to inform that a document sent to my fax. However, since he was Japanese, so the "fax" that he said sound like "f**k" in my ear. I was shocked and replied with "what??!!". Silent for few seconds, then that Japanese said again, slower, "facsimile".

ReboundMuslimah
05-05-2016, 03:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hopes N Prayers
I speak somali and English but can fake a British accent [emoji4] it's quite fun to annoy people with your non existing accent[emoji23] I also like Scottish for some odd reason[emoji848]

[emoji106]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.