Forwarded message :
A clarification is needed due to a message that has been falsely attributed to Sheikh Haitham over the last 24 hours on Facebook, Whatsapp and Telegram regarding today's London Mayoral Elections.
The message states that we should vote for Sadiq Khan today because he is a Muslim and that it is "important" to keep out the Tories from a position that quite frankly will not be able to influence any real policy within the government.
Personally, I completely disagree with the message and the style in which it was written was clearly not from Sheikh Haitham. So after some digging I found out that Sheikh Haitham did NOT write the message advocating people to vote for Sadiq.
The reason I have gone out of my way to write this is because people on both sides of the camp are either using the statement to back their push for people to vote for Sadiq, which I think is disingenuous or are using it to bash Sheikh Haitham, which is disrespectful and uncalled for.
I know exactly who wrote the message and why. It is unfortunate and disingenuous that this individual did not put his own name on what he wrote and disseminate it.
So now that you know, if you passed on this message, can you please clarify it in your groups on WhatsApp, Telegram and on Facebook that Sheikh Haitham did NOT write the message.
Why should you vote for Sadiq Khan on Thursday’s London mayoral election? Consider this:
• Zak Goldsmith has led an uninspiring campaign offering Londoners little, and instead targeting Muslims feeding into prejudice and animosity against Muslims.
• Zac has openly attacked a Muslim simply for being one.
• He suggests that being a Muslim simply equates to sympathising with terrorists, and implies that Muslims naturally have extremist and radical tendencies.
• He is supported by David Cameron to wage a racist campaign that pits Muslim Pakistanis against Sikhs and Hindus.
• A Muslim in such an influential position, no matter who he or she is, sends a message to wider society that if a Muslim can take charge of the world’s greatest city, how can anyone believe or argue that we Muslims have no future or place in Europe?
• Voting for Khan keeps out Goldsmith and the Tory brand of Muslim hatred, and proves that Muslims make up an integral aspect of the city with an important say.
• Khan is not our saviour, but a Muslim London mayor is a major step towards a return to the normalisation of western Muslims, all the while the Tories are doing their utmost to alienate us from mainstream society. We must not help them with apathy.
Sitting at home and protesting amongst ourselves might make for great armchair denunciation but does nothing to secure our future and that of our children. Allah tells us in the story of the Sabbath breakers (Quran 7:163-165) that sitting on the fence when there is good to be done means you automatically side with the bad - there is no 'neutral' ground. The vote for London mayor isn't about Sadiq Khan, it's about the place of Muslims in London and the UK.
Don’t sit on the fence. Vote Sadiq Khan on Thursday and help to re-formulate a positive and cohesive future for all Londoners.