/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do students lose what they've memorised?

ConcealedGem
05-07-2016, 09:19 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Forwarded as received with minor changes, goes to me first.

1. SINS:- The Reasons For Weak Memorisation Are Many. From Them Are Sins. For Indeed Sins Bring About Forgetfulness.
فَبِمَا نَقْضِهِم مِّيثَاقَهُمْ لَعَنَّاهُمْ وَجَعَلْنَا قُلُوبَهُمْ قَاسِيَةً ۖ يُحَرِّفُونَ الْكَلِمَ عَن مَّوَاضِعِهِ ۙ وَنَسُوا حَظًّا مِّمَّا ذُكِّرُوا بِهِ ۚ وَلَا تَزَالُ تَطَّلِعُ عَلَىٰ خَائِنَةٍ مِّنْهُمْ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا مِّنْهُمْ ۖ فَاعْفُ عَنْهُمْ وَاصْفَحْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
So because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them, and made their hearts grow hard. They change the words from their (right) places and have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them. And you will not cease to discover deceit in them, except a few of them. But forgive them, and overlook (their misdeeds). Verily, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (good-doers)." (5:13)

2. NO REVISION:- A Person Does Not Read Regularly What He Has Memoriszed, Meaning He Does Not Revise It.
Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari رضي الله عنه reported: The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Read the Qur'an regularly. By the One in Whose Hand Muhammad's soul is, it escapes from memory faster than a camel does from its tying ropes." [Bukhari; Muslim]

3. FREQUENT PREOCUPATION:-
When A Person Has Many Things That Pre-Occupy Him He'll Subsequently Forget Because The Heart Is A Container And He Is The Vessel And This Vessel Has A Limit And A Restricted Capacity. If lt Is Filled With Something There Is No Space For Anything Else. Thus If A Person Has No Spare Time And Is Constantly Preoccupied Those Things Which Keep Him Busy A Lot Cause Forgetfulness.

4. NO IMPLEMENTATION:-
Not Acting Upon The Knowledge Is From The Reason For Forgetfulness. Hence If You Act Upon What You Know Then Your Action Is Considered Implementation; Implementation Of Knowledge.
Shaikh Salih Ibn ‘Uthaimēn ﺭﺣﻤﻪﺍﻟﻠﻪ
Silsilah Liq'at Al- Baab Il Maftouh (pg.197)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bhabha
05-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Memorizing versus learning is different. If you don't learn what has been memorized, it is there for the short term and not long term.

ᵋ̥̥̥̥͙͈(⚈᷉ω⚈᷉)ᵌ̥̥̥̥͙͈

noraina
05-08-2016, 10:01 AM
JazakAllah khayr for this, I am trying to read up on as much as I can about memorisation of the Qur'an, and truly the most daunting thing I'm finding right now is being able to perfectly remember what I have learnt.

And yes, memorisation and learning are really important, like two sides of one coin.

~ Sabr ~
05-08-2016, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Memorizing versus learning is different. If you don't learn what has been memorized, it is there for the short term and not long term.

ᵋ̥̥̥̥͙͈(⚈᷉ω⚈᷉)ᵌ̥̥̥̥͙͈
Disagree.

I memorised parts of the Qur'aan since I was 7, still know it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strivingobserver98
05-08-2016, 10:54 AM
:wasalam:

:jz: for sharing.

Yep one of the effects that Sins can have on our life.

Imam Ash-Shafi`i said: “I complained to Wakee` about the weakness of my memory, so he ordered me to abandon disobedience and informed me that knowledge is light. He said that the light of Allah is not given to the disobedient.”

sister herb
05-08-2016, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~ Sabr ~
Disagree.

I memorised parts of the Qur'aan since I was 7, still know it.
It´s easier to memorize things when you are young. In my previous job, there was a lady who was over 90 and had a serious dementia, she couldn´t remember what she had ate at the breakfast but she was able to remember many poems perfectly which she had read at the school - over 80 years ago.

May Allah gives you ability to remember those parts of the Quran all your life too.

~ Sabr ~
05-08-2016, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
It´s easier to memorize things when you are young. In my previous job, there was a lady who was over 90 and had a serious dementia, she couldn´t remember what she had ate at the breakfast but she was able to remember many poems perfectly which she had read at the school - over 80 years ago.

May Allah gives you ability to remember those parts of the Quran all your life too.
I agree, Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.