/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

hisnameiszzz
05-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Salaams all,

For some unknown reason, my insomnia has returned and it is really bad. I've not had a single minute of sleep since Wednesday. Instead of taking the over the counter sleeping tablets, I have been taking herbal ones. Maybe it's that my body has become so used to the over the counter ones I can no longer sleep without them? I have been taking them for about 5 - 8 years now. Sorry, but over the years, I simply cannot sleep with the racket going on next door at night. I am a very light sleeper and the smallest noise wakes me up.

I've tried various things, praying surah Yaseen and various other surahs. There is also a few lines in Surah Kahf that are meant to help you sleep but it doesn't work on me. I've prayed tasbeehs and various other things too. I've even tried listening to bayans but they don't work either. Normally, when I am in a bayan in the Masjid, I end up dropping off, it doesn't seem to work in bed!

I've also tried other things such as herbal teas, sleep sprays, sleep balms, sleep strips, sleep lozenges. burning candles and incense and everything else under the sun. I've tried exercising during the day. I don't drink coffee at all and I try and keep away from fizzy pop.

My room is always pitch black and slightly cool which are meant to be perfect for sleeping. I've googled Google to death looking for tips and inspiration.

What is there that I can do? I am so tired and have been for the last few days also. It feels like I am working on auto pilot but I know that is dangerous. Is it true that Allah takes sleep away from really bad people?

Has anyone else suffered from this? How did you end up beating it or is it for life?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BeTheChange
05-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

I find it strange that exercise doesn't help you. Have you tried intense exercise?

Usually that allows people to have a very good night sleep.

As you age you sleep less but your too young to be suffering from insomnia.

I think the underlying issue for you may be the accumulation of stress and changing your diet and exercising on a daily basis will help reduce your stress.

Give this a go and don't give up after a week or a month. Don't expect instant gratification. Be patient insha Allah & with time your body clock and mind will be at ease.

May Allah swt protect you Ameen.

hisnameiszzz
05-08-2016, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Walaikumasalaam,

I find it strange that exercise doesn't help you. Have you tried intense exercise?

Usually that allows people to have a very good night sleep.

As you age you sleep less but your too young to be suffering from insomnia.

I think the underlying issue for you may be the accumulation of stress and changing your diet and exercising on a daily basis will help reduce your stress.

Give this a go and don't give up after a week or a month. Don't expect instant gratification. Be patient insha Allah & with time your body clock and mind will be at ease.

May Allah swt protect you Ameen.
Salaams auntie,

Thanks for your advice.

I have tried intense exercise and I will try it again. I have a day off work tomorrow, so after I have run around for my brother and done everything he wants me to and I have done the cooking, I might nip to the gym after Zohar prayer.

I'm going to completely cut out pop and just drink water from now on. I need to make these changes to try and get my health back. Who will run around after my brother and do things for my Mom if I am not well!

Jazakallah for the pep talk. Much appreciated.

Umm Abed
05-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Wassalam,

Its probably the stress and its made you tense so you dont sleep well.

Try the tips the sister above gave, also drink more water.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BeTheChange
05-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

I think that's a very good step to take.

I know it's hard to find the effort and determination sometimes to get up and do physical activity (especially when you are stressed) but you will really find many pleasant surprises after the hard work that you put in.

There's many different things you can do. Try and change them around so you don't get bored. Play table tennis, football, cricket, running, walking, boxercise, going up and down the stairs and so on and so forth. Exercise can be done anywhere and isn't just something which should be saved for the gym.

Try your local park, at home, walking in the countryside or hills.

Do activities on your own or with your family in particular your mum because no matter how old we are we all need exercise.

Islam is concerned with man’s well-being in both body and soul, and it encourages all kinds of sport that will strengthen the body and maintain good health as well as providing relaxation and leisure, such as swimming, shooting, horse-riding, sword-fighting and wrestling.
We all go through different challenges in life and while we may not be able to choose our challenges we CAN choose how we react so brother don't let your neighbours dictate your moods or your life because ultimately at the moment you are.

If you think about it you have wasted so much time dwelling on this issue and you are still in the same situation.

If there is no solution you must find a way that allows you to get through the situation.

Am sure you have heard this many times Allah swt does not burden a soul with more than he/she can bear! Subhana Allah so think about this.

Allah swt is saying to you this is something you can handle and will handle insha Allah. Subhana Allah why do we need confirmation and validation from human beings when Allah swt the Most Kind & Merciful KNOWS you will come out stronger because of this situation. Subhana Allah.

BeTheChange
05-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Asalamualykum,

How are you feeling now brother?

Hopefully you have noticed some benefits taking up sport? If not don't worry it's early days. Be consistent and make sure you do something everyday

Insha Allah.

May Allah swt bring peace & tranquillity to your household Ameen.

piXie
05-12-2016, 06:22 PM
:sl:

I'm not sure if you have tried Dr Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique but it claims to be very effective. I'd also advise you to get your melatonin levels checked. Certain mineral and nutritional deficiencies may also contribute to the problem and it could also be the effect of the meds. Exercise is good but don't over do it esp when your body may already be exhausted from the lack of sleep. It may sound strange but we need a certain amount of energy in order to sleep too. It is important that you get to the root cause of why this is happening and tackle it from there.

http://www.prevention.com/health/sle...rcise-insomnia

Sleep is vital. May Allah help you to overcome this problem. Aameen.

hisnameiszzz
05-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Thanks for your posts Be The Change and Pixie.

Unfortunately long days at work and then having to cook and clean and run around after my brother has not given me any time to exercise. I doubt it's going to happen before Ramadan. But I am walking to work so that would be classed as some exercise.

I tried the breathing technique in the past but I will try it again. Hopefully it will work this time.

I booked a night in a hotel tonight because I literally am so tired of no sleep. And to be honest, the noise from the nasty people next door is taking over my life and making me crumble. I feel bad because my brother needs me and it's not fair my Mom will have to run around after him but I did do all the cleaning before I went.

Anyway no nasty people next door but I still can't sleep. I'm so worried it's unreal.

Thanks for your kind words ladies.

BeTheChange
05-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Asalamualykum,

I am positive your family are very grateful & happy to be blessed with your presence Alhamdulilah.

Not only are you making your family happy but you are making Allah swt happy.

That's great to hear. If the weather is good you should continue to walk. It will really help you mentally insha Allah. You will be able to think clearly insha Allah.

Hmm...you've rented a room and you're still not able to sleep. I think this is probably due to the constant worry about the situation that you are in.

Try and live in the present and leave the past where it belongs. We can only learn from our mistakes.

It was narrated that Suhayb said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for all his affairs are good, and this applies to no one except the believer. If something good happens to him, he gives thanks, and that is good for him, and it something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience, and that is good for him.”(Narrated by Muslim, 2999)

One of the means of treating them is mentioned in the saheeh hadeeth from Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him):

“There is no-one who is afflicted by distress and grief, and says:

Allaahumma inni ‘abduka ibn ‘abdika ibn amatika naasyati bi yadika, maada fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka. As’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghayb ‘indaka an taj’al al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’ huzni wa dhihaab hammi

(O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your maidservant; my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety),’ but Allaah will take away his distress and grief, and replace it with joy.” This is one of the remedies prescribed in sharee’ah.

One can also say “Laa ilaaha illa Anta, subhaanaka inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen (none has the right to be worshipped but You (O Allaah), Glorified (and Exalted) be You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrongdoers)” [al-Anbiya 21:87 – interpretation of the meaning].

hisnameiszzz
05-13-2016, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Asalamualykum,

I am positive your family are very grateful & happy to be blessed with your presence Alhamdulilah.

Not only are you making your family happy but you are making Allah swt happy.

That's great to hear. If the weather is good you should continue to walk. It will really help you mentally insha Allah. You will be able to think clearly insha Allah.

Hmm...you've rented a room and you're still not able to sleep. I think this is probably due to the constant worry about the situation that you are in.

Try and live in the present and leave the past where it belongs. We can only learn from our mistakes.

It was narrated that Suhayb said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for all his affairs are good, and this applies to no one except the believer. If something good happens to him, he gives thanks, and that is good for him, and it something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience, and that is good for him.”(Narrated by Muslim, 2999)

One of the means of treating them is mentioned in the saheeh hadeeth from Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him):

“There is no-one who is afflicted by distress and grief, and says:

Allaahumma inni ‘abduka ibn ‘abdika ibn amatika naasyati bi yadika, maada fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka. As’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghayb ‘indaka an taj’al al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’ huzni wa dhihaab hammi

(O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your maidservant; my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety),’ but Allaah will take away his distress and grief, and replace it with joy.” This is one of the remedies prescribed in sharee’ah.

One can also say “Laa ilaaha illa Anta, subhaanaka inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen (none has the right to be worshipped but You (O Allaah), Glorified (and Exalted) be You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrongdoers)” [al-Anbiya 21:87 – interpretation of the meaning].
Jazakallah for your kind response. I appreciate it.

I didn't manage to sleep at all last night. It was the awful feeling of having to return home and today (Jummah) has been rather bad. The doors were slamming as usual and there was loud DIY again. It's true, it's their house and they can do what they like at reasonable times but they don't.

I pray the tasbeeh you have mentioned but I read there was an extra bit at the start. So I pay ya hayyo ya qayuum, berahmateka astageeth, [I][I]Laa ilaaha illa Anta, subhaanaka inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen

I also pray Surah Al Haqqah non stop too. I also pray astagfirullah a lot because I think it is getting clearer I am doing something or I am in the wrong. And finally, I pray a lot of durood too because the Head Imam did a bayaan a few weeks ago saying if you have problems of any kind, pray durood non stop and it will help.

Alas, nothing seems to be working for me. Not good is it? I am beggining to run out of patience now. :hiding::hiding:

BeTheChange
05-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Asalmualykum dear brother,

You must NEVER give up. No matter how hard it gets. Alhamdulilah it's great to hear you are reciting all the duas to protect you. Alhamdulilah.

You know recently i was listening to a lecture and the speaker advised that we sin for 2/3/4 X amount of years and then we expect our duas, Quran recitation, daily prayers etc to work it's magic in a day or in that very moment.

Because we have sinned for so long it takes that amount of years to practice before we start to see significant changes in our lives.

Am not saying there is no blessings, barakat or good in doing all our faraz and sunnah but we must be patient. Our hearts and soul have been contaminated and diseased with the effects of sins so we must try and clean our hearts and soul with good deeds insha Allah.

The sinner will find darkness in his heart, which he will feel just as he feels the darkness of night. So this darkness affects his heart as the physical darkness affects his vision. For obedience is light and disobedience is darkness. The stronger the darkness grows, the greater becomes his confusion, until he falls into innovation, misguidance and other things that lead to doom, without even realizing, like a blind man who goes out in the darkness of the night, walking alone This darkness grows stronger until it covers the eyes, then it grows stronger until it covers the face, which appears dark and is seen by everyone. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Good deeds make the face light, give light to the heart, and bring about ample provision, physical strength and love in people’s hearts. Bad deeds make the face dark, give darkness to the heart, and bring about physical weakness, a lack of provision and hatred in people’s hearts.”
May Allah swt remove the effects of sins from our hearts and souls Ameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.