/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fruit/Veg of the day

BeTheChange
05-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Asalmaualykum,

With the intention of improving everyone's health i thought it would be a good idea to encourage each other to start/continue eating healthy foods insha Allah.

I have titled the thread 'fruit/veg of the day' focusing mainly on fruit and veg but you can also include any other food here insha Allah (For the cheeky members this excludes your salad in a burger, excludes the veg topping on a pizza etc)

So please post how many fruits/veg you have consumed on a daily basis.

Hopefully it should make us more aware of what we are eating and how many/less we are eating.

I believe the goal is 5 a day but some researchers believe it should be 7 and others more.

Lets see who can hit the minimum of 5 a day insha Allah. :D

attachmentphp?attachmentid5537&ampstc1 -

Today Alhamdulilah i ate:

1) Grapes,
2) Garden peas,
3) Pears,
4) Potatoes (even though strictly speaking this isn't classified as a vegetable) - You can tell am struggling and wanting to reach to 5...
5) I'll have a small tangerine after i post this insha Allah. :D See the threads working it's magic already! Alhamdulilah.

I had to aim for 5 because i'm the thread starter and i should be setting an example. If i truly want to inspire i should aim for 7 really but i picked a bad day to start the thread.

Please feel free to post your daily consumption of fruit and veg insha Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BilalKid
05-12-2016, 01:08 AM
mango juice count?? ;D

BeTheChange
05-12-2016, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
mango juice count?? ;D
Asalamualykum BilalKid,

Am sorry i am going to have to say no to mango juice but good attempt.

Have a read of the below:

That, said Dr Frankie Phillips, from the British Dietetic Association, is not the case. "Juicing involves the removal of fibre and this removes some of the nutrients that would be found in a whole fruit or vegetable," said Dr Phillips. "There is likely to be a more concentrated level of sugars naturally present in the fruit, and if a juice is sipped over a long period of time, the fruit juice, which is quite acidic, can damage dental enamel.
Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ou-406370.html

Now eat some real whole fruit/veg and post your daily intake insha Allah :D No cheating.

Bhabha
05-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Wait I usually make fresh juice out of spinach, banana and strawberry. But I make it in the blender [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
05-12-2016, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Wait I usually make fresh juice out of spinach, banana and strawberry. But I make it in the blender [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]
the fruit juice, which is quite acidic
Spinach, bananas and strawberries haven´t much acid. But maybe it would to be better to eat them whole.

I didn´t eat much today - only a little bowl of grated carrots as salad and one pear.

noraina
05-12-2016, 06:15 PM
I had a vegetable salad for lunch, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, and red pepper, with mashed potato and beans. Mmmmmmmmm.

BeTheChange
05-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Asalamualykum sis Bhabha,

Let me just advise am not a nutritionist or a doctor but just a layperson.

I personally wouldn't recommend blending food or fruit because some/most of the goodness is taken away.

It depends on why you want to consume that particular smoothie and which nutrition you wish to consume.

As always there's conflicting evidence. Some suggest it's very good for you as you consume a variety of nutrients and especially for those people who do not eat veg/fruit on a daily basis and others suggest that it's very bad for you because it increases your blood sugar rapidly.

I think it's a safer option to avoid and eat the whole fruit/veg insha Allah.

BeTheChange
05-12-2016, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
I had a vegetable salad for lunch, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, and red pepper, with mashed potato and beans. Mmmmmmmmm.
Alhamdulilah. Loving the different veg. :D

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

BeTheChange
05-12-2016, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Spinach, bananas and strawberries haven´t much acid. But maybe it would to be better to eat them whole.

I didn´t eat much today - only a little bowl of grated carrots as salad and one pear.
Sister Herb have you been spending too much time planting your veg and fruit? :D

Insha Allah tomorrow's a new day so let's see if you can hit 3 or more insha Allah.

Bhabha
05-12-2016, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Asalamualykum sis Bhabha,

Let me just advise am not a nutritionist or a doctor but just a layperson.

I personally wouldn't recommend blending food or fruit because some/most of the goodness is taken away.

It depends on why you want to consume that particular smoothie and which nutrition you wish to consume.

As always there's conflicting evidence. Some suggest it's very good for you as you consume a variety of nutrients and especially for those people who do not eat veg/fruit on a daily basis and others suggest that it's very bad for you because it increases your blood sugar rapidly.

I think it's a safer option to avoid and eat the whole fruit/veg insha Allah.
Well spinach without fruit in a Juice tastes kind of .... Disgusting lol. I blend it and add protein or hemp protein because I don't eat meat so I need protein shakes.

sister herb
05-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Wait... I also ate chocolate bar today. Does it count?

Chocolate is derived from cacao beans. Bean = vegetable. Sugar is derived from either sugar cane or sugar beets. Both are plants, which places them in the vegetable category. Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.

:giggling:

BeTheChange
05-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Well spinach without fruit in a Juice tastes kind of .... Disgusting lol. I blend it and add protein or hemp protein because I don't eat meat so I need protein shakes.
Sis Bhabha,

I wouldn't like to advise you what to eat & what not to eat if i am honest.

Again i stay away from protein powders but that does not mean this is something you should do. The reason why i stay away is because i try my best to get all my nutrients from food rather than what seems to me artificial and possibly dangerous. Controversial i know! My friends and gym instructors also use protein shakes and think it's good for them but for me personally, it doesn't seem natural to me consuming powders.

You could possibly look into how different types of cooking affects nutritional levels. This way you can make an informed decision about how to get the nutrients that you want insha Allah.

Nutrient loss is a consequence of nearly every cooking process. Exposure to heat, light or oxygen will alter the nutrients found in food, and methods that involve water often reduce the amounts of nutrients as these get ‘washed out’ and left behind. However, cooking foods also has its advantages, including a reduction of the number of possible malignant microbes, an increase in digestibility and the increased availability of certain phytonutrients.

Heating

Heating affects mostly the vitamin and fat content of foods, as well as the texture that they present. Some fats are able to tolerate higher temperatures than others, before reaching their 'smoke point', at which their chemical structure is modified. These changes have been associated with health risks, unpleasant odours, impaired flavour and reduced vitamin content. Similarly, the structure of proteins changes with heat too. For example, an egg looks very different from its raw form to its cooked form; this is mostly due to a rearrangement of its structural proteins.

On the other hand, cooking processes that involve heating also make certain nutrients more available for the body to use. For example, the amount of total carotenoids content in carrots and other vegetable-based dishes is higher in boiled versions.
If you wish to read more please visit: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/yawya/science...nutrition.html

BeTheChange
05-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Wait... I also ate chocolate bar today. Does it count?

Chocolate is derived from cacao beans. Bean = vegetable. Sugar is derived from either sugar cane or sugar beets. Both are plants, which places them in the vegetable category. Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.

:giggling:
I must say that is the most craziest, funniest and cleverest way of counting your veg intake!

Chocolate is the new vegetable :D.

If that was the case sis herb i think everyone will be hitting their daily consumption.

Bhabha
05-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Sis Bhabha,

I wouldn't like to advise you what to eat & what not to eat if i am honest.

Again i stay away from protein powders but that does not mean this is something you should do. The reason why i stay away is because i try my best to get all my nutrients from food rather than what seems to me artificial and possibly dangerous. Controversial i know! My friends and gym instructors also use protein shakes and think it's good for them but for me personally, it doesn't seem natural to me consuming powders.

You could possibly look into how different types of cooking affects nutritional levels. This way you can make an informed decision about how to get the nutrients that you want insha Allah.

If you wish to read more please visit: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/yawya/science...nutrition.html
Salam!
Thank you sis, I get all of my powders from organic health stores, so there's no additives in that are chemically processed. For example, my favorite protein powder is made out of hemp... It tastes kind of nasty by itself, and it also needs to be refrigerated or it will go bad. It has fiber too, unfortunately you cannot get all of the nutrients from the food you are eating right now due to issues with the soil. Overtime, the quality does go bad. I usually refrain from purchasing things in the market, such as during the summer time and early fall because it grows in the garden, but other than that... it's hard.

sister herb
05-13-2016, 01:37 PM
I must say that is the most craziest, funniest and cleverest way of counting your veg intake!

Chocolate is the new vegetable :D.

If that was the case sis herb i think everyone will be hitting their daily consumption.
Yep, I love this new vegetable.

_E_3
05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
so far today fruit and veg wise av had a banana :masha:

noraina
05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Yep, I love this new vegetable.
It makes sense, :D, chocolate grows from a tree, and comes from a bean, so it is salad.

It also means I hit my five a day daily (yes I'm an incurable chocaholic).

I also ate some fresh strawberries, alhamdulillah - they are my most favourite fruit in the world (especially when covered in chocolate)

BeTheChange
05-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Salam!
Thank you sis, I get all of my powders from organic health stores, so there's no additives in that are chemically processed. For example, my favorite protein powder is made out of hemp... It tastes kind of nasty by itself, and it also needs to be refrigerated or it will go bad. It has fiber too, unfortunately you cannot get all of the nutrients from the food you are eating right now due to issues with the soil. Overtime, the quality does go bad. I usually refrain from purchasing things in the market, such as during the summer time and early fall because it grows in the garden, but other than that... it's hard.
Walaikumasalaam dear sis,

I understand sis especially with GM food around one needs to be more careful.

The mass food industry is more interested in making quick & lots of money rather than focusing on the quality.

Fibre is an important nutrient and it can be found in wholemeal food, oats, lentils (which is a sunnah food so double bonus :D Alhamdulilah), dried fruits and apples and pears.

attachmentphp?attachmentid5538&ampstc1 -

Alhamdulilah.

BeTheChange
05-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Asalamualykum,

Alhamdulilah i have ate the following today:

1) A handful of blueberries

2) 3/4 figs

3) Green, yellow and red peppers

4) Baby tomatoes

5) and insha Allah will have a tangerine or a banana later on insha Allah.

sister herb
05-14-2016, 08:05 PM
I ate watermelon.

noraina
05-14-2016, 08:16 PM
1) A handful of blueberries

2) 3/4 figs

3) Green, yellow and red peppers

4) Baby tomatoes

5) and insha Allah will have a tangerine or a banana later on insha Allah.
Ma'sha'Allah, you're doing quite well sis. :D

I've only eaten a banana, inshaAllah I'll try to eat some strawberries later on...

BeTheChange
05-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Asalamualykum,

Today Alhamdulilah i have ate some cherries and a banana.

I also had lentils which is sunnah to eat Alhamdulilah and full of fibre.

Arfa
06-05-2016, 07:33 AM
AlhamdulillAh cucumbers ginger onions salad.mango fruit

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.