/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do your parents HAVE to give consent?

EgyptPrincess
05-12-2016, 01:52 PM
As-salaam alaikum,

If someone is a revert to Islam and approaches you for marriage. Do the parents HAVE to consent to it before you can marry them?

Where is the line drawn for pleasing parents?

"Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour." - (17:23)

So if I want to marry a revert who is kind, loving, caring, intelligent, well mannered and overall just a very nice person, but my parents disagree, is it still my right to marry him?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
05-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

The majority of scholars say the marriage is invalid if the girl does not have the permission of her wali (usually your father). Within the hanafi madhab there is more flexibility but even then it is not recommended.

Of course, if the brother in question can provide for his wife and his sound in deen and character, and still the parents refuse for reasons which have no place in Islam, this wouldn't be right on their part, but this of course depends on circumstance and they may genuinely be concerned.

It would be good to try your level best to convince them, though either an Imam or someone they respect highly. The only alternative would be basically 'running away', and a marriage in which there is no family support nor blessings will be a little unsteady on its foundations.

This what I've read anyway, inshaAllah someone with more knowledge can give a better explanation. :) x

anatolian
05-12-2016, 02:23 PM
I dont know what the scholars say but I think you can marry whomsoever you want as long as he is a muslim. You dont need permission.

EgyptPrincess
05-12-2016, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
I dont know what the scholars say but I think you can marry whomsoever you want as long as he is a muslim. You dont need permission.
Thank you. So even if the marriage upsets the parents, I am still allowed to do it? Of course consent from the parents is preferred but it's not mandatory?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anatolian
05-12-2016, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
'running away'
This is very common in the rural areas of Turkey...:hmm:

EgyptPrincess
05-12-2016, 02:32 PM
This is very common in the rural areas of Turkey...:hmm:
Well if this is the only option...

noraina
05-12-2016, 02:46 PM
This is very common in the rural areas of Turkey...
This can be quite common where parents are over-bearing and too strict. I've heard of around two cases of girls running away with a guy, this was with non-Muslims though...

I would suggest every other possible avenue is explored before getting married without your wali's permission - which would be the last of the last of the last resorts, lol.

sister herb
05-12-2016, 03:38 PM
As I know, parents should always give their blessing for the marriage. But I am unsure what to do then if parents make restrictions like if they don´t accept spouse from the other race, ethnic group, reverts etc. As racism (and this can be called as racism) is against the Islam, so is refusal of their blessing against the values of Islam in some cases?

Actually, this blessing thing is quite confusing as both man and woman shouldn´t become forced to marry someone he/she dislikes to marry as well. What if he/she refuses every of possible spouses his/hers parents offer and feels they are unsuitable to him/her?

Serinity
05-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Read: https://islamqa.info/en/7193

sister herb
05-12-2016, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
"The wali does not have the right to prevent a woman from marrying on the basis of his own whims and with no shar’i reason."

The other thing, what I have though sometimes is how much we should read and trust the words and fatwas we find from the internet. If possible, maybe better to ask from scholar/imam (in the real life).

EgyptPrincess
05-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks.

Serinity
05-12-2016, 04:56 PM
your parents can not force you to marry anyone, afaik. So don't feel that you have to marry someone you don't like.

And Allah SWT knows best.

EgyptPrincess
05-12-2016, 05:09 PM
your parents can not force you to marry anyone, afaik. So don't feel that you have to marry someone you don't like.

And Allah SWT knows best.
but I can't marry the person I like either. Forever single and forever miserable :hmm:

sister herb
05-12-2016, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Forever single and forever miserable :hmm:
Don´t say so. You are so young that all the joys and all the sorrows of the life are still waiting for you in the future.

;)

Umm Abed
05-12-2016, 05:17 PM
He must be Muslim, to start off with..

Umm Abed
05-12-2016, 05:21 PM
but I can't marry the person I like either. Forever single and forever miserable :hmm:
Sister, the person whom you want to marry, did he accept Islam?

You should try to get someone like an elder, family member or Imam to speak to your parents on your behalf.

EgyptPrincess
05-12-2016, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
He must be Muslim, to start off with..
A revert is a Muslim.

Serinity
05-12-2016, 05:24 PM
A revert is a Muslim.
Check his deen, does he pray 5 times a day? Give zakat? Read Quran?

Ridwaan Ravat
05-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Assalamualykum.

Respected Sister

In principle it is permissible to marry a revert.

Your parents happiness is of paramount importance in order to have blessings and barakah in your marriage.

A teacher and parent only wishes good for their students and children although at times we may not see the good in it.

I strongly suggest that you consult with them and consider their suggestions and marry a person of your and their choice, insha Allah the fruits of working with your parents will be seen.

Jazakallah khair

Request duaas

Cpt.America
05-18-2016, 03:19 AM
No it is not allowed.

But if they are being unreasonable and the intended spouse is a practicing Muslim,
there are many avenues to convince them including involving other family members and scholars to speak with them.
In extreme cases about changing walis, the rules for that vary amongst the Fiqh of the 4 schools of thought.
If you seriously want something the best thing to do is pray tahajjud and ask Allah for it,
duaas in Tahajjud are accepted (unless they are for things detrimental to us in which case Allah protects us and replaces it with that which is even better)
if we're not praying tahajjud for it, then we don't really want it that bad.

(I don't remember the full contents of this video exactly but from what I do recall it was beneficial and helpful on this topic. Hope it helps sis)

youtube.com/watch?v=kKCWSxON6Fc

Kiro
05-18-2016, 04:02 AM
“There should be no nikaah (marriage contract) except with a wali (guardian).”(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1101; Abu Dawood, 2085; Ibn Maajah, 1881. It is saheeh, as stated in Irwaa’ al-Ghaleel,6/235, by al-Albaani, may Allaah have mercy on him).

And the hadeeth:“Any woman who gets married without the permission of her wali, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid, her marriage is invalid. If her husband has consummated the marriage, then the mahr belongs to her in return for that. If she does not have a wali then the (Muslim) ruler is the wali of anyone who does not have a wali.”(Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 1102; Abu Dawood, 2083; Ibn Maajah, 1879).

https://islamqa.info/en/7193

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.