/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Freeman: Islam Aims for Peace

strivingobserver98
05-14-2016, 03:36 PM

Morgan Freeman disappointed some fans during Sunday’s episode of National Geographic’s “The Story of God” when he downplayed Islamic terrorism, saying Islam aims for peace.

News reports of Islamic extremism by “a tiny percentage of Muslims” do not reflect the mindset of the majority of Muslims, Freeman said.

“Meeting Muslims face to face, I've learned that Islam aims for people to live in peace,” Freeman remarked. “But watching the news today, you'd be forgiven for not knowing that. A tiny percentage of Muslims are waging war against the West.”

The apocalypse was the theme of the second episode of the National Geographic Channel’s new docu-series hosted by Freeman.

The actor set out to “find out why so many religions predict an apocalypse.” Why do religions predict an end of days or judgment day? Is it all in our minds? Freeman tackled these and other questions from an atheist point of view on his journey.

“Isis and other religious extremist groups believe the apocalypse has already begun.”

Freeman interviewed Maajid Nawaz, who was radicalized as teenager living in the UK and joined Hizb ut-Tahrir, precursor to Al Qaeda.

“What I mean by Islamism is the desire to impose any version of Islam over society,” said Nawaz. “And that ideology was sold to me as if it was the religion of Islam and that's what I adopted. I grew up facing a very, very severe form of violent racism, domestically within the UK.”

The actor also stated that the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim religions pay homage to the same God. While there is some historical evidence for this conclusion, the religions are very different and should not be grouped together.

“Islam is an Arabic word that means surrender. Submission to God's will. The same god the Jews and Christians worship,” said the star.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BilalKid
05-14-2016, 06:15 PM
i read post in his voice ;D ;D

strivingobserver98
05-14-2016, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
i read post in his voice ;D ;D
:D

muslimah_B
05-14-2016, 11:45 PM
I wanted to watch this, i kept missing it.

Is it worth watching ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
05-15-2016, 04:48 AM
For me it is all too easy to say this or that about islam.

Ultimately it means to 'surrender' to Allah.

Next question is how do we surrender? By following His deen - way of life -

If we did, there will be peace and justice for all. That is the end result. Islam is not just about peace. That is the result if we follow the path.

:peace:

Freedom
05-15-2016, 04:50 AM
Loool @ Hizb ut-Tahrir being a radical precursor to al-Qaeda

MuhammadIbrahim
05-15-2016, 06:42 AM
Allah is Great! Allah The Almighty enlist non-believers to defend His religion. I pray to Allah to guide Mr. Morgan Freeman to Islam.

abumuslim82
05-15-2016, 07:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_B
I wanted to watch this, i kept missing it.

Is it worth watching ?
maybe it's ALLAH qadr that u kept missing it. Don't waste ur time sister, they want to create a western liberal islam, so dajjal uses his famous personalities. Trust me

abumuslim82
05-15-2016, 08:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
For me it is all too easy to say this or that about islam.

Ultimately it means to 'surrender' to Allah.

Next question is how do we surrender? By following His deen - way of life -

If we did, there will be peace and justice for all. That is the end result. Islam is not just about peace. That is the result if we follow the path.

:peace:
islam has a few meanings, root word is salaam which means peace.

you are correct, no peace without justice.

MuhammadIbrahim
05-16-2016, 11:35 AM
I totally agree on 'No peace without justice'.

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Did he become Muslim?

I'm so sick of the whole "terrorists do not represent Islam"... as if we even need to tell people that.

It's common sense! I saw a fact sheet by the CIA that said of the 1.7billion Muslims in the world, only about 1.5million are "extremists" ie terrorists. This is taken from every terrorist organisation in the world. 1.5million in total!

That is just less than 0.1% of the entire Muslim population... Could you imagine if Americans still had to justify that the KKK does not represent Americans?

I honestly cannot believe we still have to tell people that Islam is peaceful, like they don't know... If Islam wasn't peaceful, Explain how 99.9% of them get a long just fine with non Muslims ^o)

MuhammadIbrahim
05-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Sister EgyptPrincess,
People in the west no longer read; I mean the youth. They just watch TV. The media has been portraying a very illusive picture of Islam because the jew have noticed how fast Islam spreads among people there. I think it is our role to tell people about the right Islam.
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Did he become Muslim?

I'm so sick of the whole "terrorists do not represent Islam"... as if we even need to tell people that.

It's common sense! I saw a fact sheet by the CIA that said of the 1.7billion Muslims in the world, only about 1.5million are "extremists" ie terrorists. This is taken from every terrorist organisation in the world. 1.5million in total!

That is just less than 0.1% of the entire Muslim population... Could you imagine if Americans still had to justify that the KKK does not represent Americans?

I honestly cannot believe we still have to tell people that Islam is peaceful, like they don't know... If Islam wasn't peaceful, Explain how 99.9% of them get a long just fine with non Muslims ^o)

noraina
05-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Assalamu alaykum

Unfortunately, and the media also hasn't been much help, for many people the two words Islam and peace just don't match with one another - deep-set misconceptions can be really stubborn and so they assume that most Muslims are either extremists or support extremism.

I'm not sure what to think when a discussion you are having turns on to the topic on ISIS or terrorism and everyone automatically starts looking at the Muslim people there. Lol like the most awkward thing ever.

The association that has been built is strong enough that they specifically have to ask Muslims to justify their opposition to terrorism - I mean I welcome the opportunity to be able put across the true essence of Islam, but I don't like the way we're considered so different to the rest of humanity we have to be especially asked whether we denounce violence or not. It's an assumption of suspicion which does sometimes single us out.

But again, on the positive side, we have an opportunity to explain how beautiful Islam truly is from a higher platform...and many non-Muslim people really do respect our religion. Just the ones who don't tend to scream the loudest and are heard by more, the same can be said of terrorists.

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadIbrahim
Sister EgyptPrincess,
People in the west no longer read; I mean the youth. They just watch TV. The media has been portraying a very illusive picture of Islam because the jew have noticed how fast Islam spreads among people there. I think it is our role to tell people about the right Islam.
Indeed this is true.

Great video by great Shaykh Hamza Yusuf. As he says "It's all these young boys out there on Google" hahaha

MuhammadIbrahim
05-16-2016, 12:36 PM
This is an amzing video. Thank you sister. I'll share it everywhere if Allah wants me to. I'll also subscribe to that youtube channel.
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Indeed this is true.

Great video by great Shaykh Hamza Yusuf. As he says "It's all these young boys out there on Google" hahaha

muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abumuslim82
maybe it's ALLAH qadr that u kept missing it. Don't waste ur time sister, they want to create a western liberal islam, so dajjal uses his famous personalities. Trust me
I know, but sometimes i like watching documentries that involve islam and see how they potray it,
I watched a few on the silk roads (the trade routes) and they where actually quite good and islam for once was put in a good light which was very suprising

Muezzin
05-16-2016, 08:03 PM
While reading this thread, I imagined Morgan Freeman's voice saying the words.

And it was glorious.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.