/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Colour full clothing

muslimah_B
05-15-2016, 12:50 AM
Asalam alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu every1

Does anybody have any hadeeths or any sources on the permissibility of colours of clothing for women when going outside... ie the jilbab & abaya &hijab.
I could only find colours prophet Mohammed s.a.w use to wear & not on womens & not sure where to look exactly as all i find is about the actuall wearing of hijab.
I have only heard of dark & dull colours being allowed but have recently seen pinks & beige & purples in overhead jilbabs and was just wondering if these are allowed or should just totally be avoided

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bhabha
05-15-2016, 05:47 AM
It depends on the people around you.. For example it differs, I'll try to find where but the point of the hijab is so that you are not glared at and draw attention. So if you go to for example Saudi or Qatar, the locals wear black abayas with some MINOR designs, but not too much. If you go to Morocco, the colors are lighter and more women wear this, so it is better for you to kind of blend with these women and thus wear those colors. If you were to be the only one wearing black and ALL around you, the girls were wearing hijab colors that are light, you would be drawing attention to yourself. This is why sometimes people argue as to whether Niqab is fardh..... I know some sisters in UAE who wear Niqab, but take it off as soon as they land in Western soil because they do not want to be targeted, or glared at, or made fun of, or draw attention and they blend with the locals in terms of colors, not so obvious but not so different as to cause unnecessary glances.

So for example, when I go to San Diego, I wear Palazo pants that are long and wide and look like skirts with long silky shirts that cover your body and do not reveal the figure, but these are more geared towards the local colors and the material itself, flowly, silky, and some what "summer" style clothing. I once went out with an abaya and I had too many glares, so I ran back to my room and put on the palazzo pants and the long silky shirt, a soft kind of shawl and a tucked hijab and no one bothered to look at me. Then, I was in Dubai and I wore a light colored headscarf and a black abaya and I was hanging out with locals.... they said, please don't make yourself look like a foreigner and so I wore all black and put on a niqab and just blended. I have a very white complexion and so wearing the hijab alone without niqab was drawing too much attention and a man took my picture when I was walking... :/ so I wear niqab If I go to gulf countries. In Canada, I walk around with an abaya because a lot of sisters walk with abayas and my school has gotten used to see me in an abaya, although in the winter it's different, palazo pants and a long long winter coat lol.

So it depends, what colors do you see that people wear around you?

sister herb
05-15-2016, 06:09 AM
We had here a short discussion about colors:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ht=color+hijab

noraina
05-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

So long as you are following the commandment of hijab, the clothing is loose and not transparent, the colour of your clothing shouldn't matter. I mean of course there should be moderation, you shouldn't go around wearing all the colours of the rainbow or fluorescent pinks or greens, lol, but some colour isn't forbidden. We are permitted to wear all colours, alhamdulillah.

And as has been said, wherever you are living it shouldn't be so that you look very conspicuous or noticeable. To wear black is not a condition of hijab, you should just ensure your clothing isn't so colourful or decorated that it draws attention when before non-mahrams, many Muslim women wear black because it is the colour furthest away from adornment, it is a personal preference, and also because the female Sahaba were known to wear mainly black clothing.

Here's a more detailed explanation: https://islamqa.info/en/39570

Personally I wear only black on, it is my favourite colour lol and always was ;) Sometime I will wear a colourful cardigan on top if I'm in the mood.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimah_B
05-15-2016, 11:19 AM
I mean i live in the uk so mostly everyone isnt coverd lol, i mostly see sisters in black abayas or black overhead jilbabs some wear niqab some dont, some wear brightly coloured hijabs some dont, some hijabs are very patterned...then the sisters with a scarve on their head and the most tightest clothes they could fit on their body.
I mean going anywhere i do stick out like a sore thumb lol i get loads of stares, dumb comments, i have even had men try to fight me (yes big burly polish dudes or drunken men broad daylight) youd never expect this behaviour in london but it happens. And i would never uncover for the likes of these silly people, its very sad and unfortunate that some sisters due to fear and harrasment from silly people they decided to either stop wearing niqab and sometimes even their hijab.

I have started seeing sister in these light grey or dusty pink jilbabs and im not gonna lie i think they're really nice lol so i was just wondering if its ok to wear such colours that arent dark and dull.
Like i dont want to go outside and draw attention to myself but it already happens with every muslimah who covers lol and as im so use to black its a big change for me, but i wanted to try a different colour

I cant remember where i read it, but this sister said her excuse for taking off her whole entire hijab and wearing very western clothing was that, when she coverd she stuck out and everyone noticed her so it brought attention to her, and when she didnt cover no-one noticed her
I was flabbergasted lol

strivingobserver98
05-15-2016, 11:38 AM
:sl:

Useful thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...al-haddad.html

:fatwa:

Scholars are unanimous that the hijab must cover every part of the woman’s body, except for the face and hands. Some Hanafi scholars say that the face, hands, and feet are all exempted. The clothing used to cover the body should be opaque and loose-fitting. In other words, the color of the skin and the contours of the body should not show through the clothing. The head should be covered with some form of a khimar or head veil. The head veil should cover the hair, neck, ears, and bosom. Furthermore, women should not make themselves up or use perfume when they go out. Using makeup and perfume would defeat the whole purpose of hijab. It is easy to see how the West has built a whole industry revolving around making the female as seductive as possible with makeup, perfume, revealing clothing, and constantly changing hair styles. This is not an image that we Muslim women want.

As to what fabrics, colors, or styles of clothing you use, that is up to you, as long as you have satisfied these basic requirements. It is recommended to wear a jilbab, or over-garment. However, a long, loose-fitting tunic with a long skirt also satisfies the requirement for covering the body modestly. If you look at styles in the Muslim world, you will see everything from an Arab abaya to an Iranian chador, from Afghani burqas to Malaysian skirt and tunic sets, from smart business suits to Indo-Pak shalvar qamiz. You will see a diversity of fabrics, colors, and designs. All of these can fulfill the basic requirement of hijab, which is the modest covering of the hair and body. As far as color is concerned, a lot of that is cultural. While wearing black in Iran or the Arab world is customary, in Africa and Southeast Asia it is customary to be colorful and this is not inappropriate. Diversity is one of the strengths of the Umma. I don’t think it’s appropriate for people to tell you that if you wear a black hijab, your hijab is good, but if you wear a hijab with flowers on it, your hijab is bad. As long as you are modest and have not dressed in a way that will attract attention to yourself, you are fine. You can tell if you are wearing something that is showy or flashy. What colors you wear are entirely up to you. Just use discretion.

And Allah knows best. And Allah alone gives success.

Umm Salah (Zaynab Ansari)
http://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-hanafi/35283

Saleem Khan
05-15-2016, 07:56 PM
A burqa/niqaab/abaya is worn to cover a women's beauty and preserve her chastity.

A colourful or tight niqaab/burqah defeats the purpose. Therefore it should be loose, dark coloured and without embroidery.

muslimah_B
05-15-2016, 08:19 PM
a brother posted a fatwa just above wich says that colourful is allowed as long as it it not tight or revealing or see-through...

i understand "only" dark colours to some extent but whats wrong with a bit of embroidery on the sleeves just at the cuffs so it is not so plain ?

and when you say "dark" could you please elaborate on which specific colours are allowed and if any print on hijabs is allowed, so myself and other sisters can in sha Allah benefit and not fall into the "hijabista" trend which a lot of sisters are sadly falling into.

nobody here wants to sin but sometimes the smaller issues are overlooked and not really "set in stone"

i always get mixed messages on this issue, so have always stuck to black just in case

Saleem Khan
05-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Embroidery attracts attention and therefore defeats the purpose of hijaab. Embroidery attracts men. In public being plain is the objective. In one hadith it mentioned that close to qiyama many women will walk around with humps on their heads and nabi saw cursed them..

The commentators mention that they will tie their hair in such a manner to attract men. Sadly we see many women doing such a thing nowadays and when ulema say something they say "whats wrong my hair is covered" or "its a grey area".

Our objective in this world is to attain the happiness of Allah. Therefore if we go the extra inch to try to please Allah our objective will be fulfilled. In todays time of fitnah the laws of parda should be even more strict.

In a hadith it is mentioned that a time will come when the safest place (from fitna) for a person is his home.

That time is coming soon it seems. When the pious men will also refuse to leave their homes due to fitna. Therefore sister be as strict as you can in this issue. Allah will reward you for your modesty. Dress as plain as you can in public and dress as beautiful as you want in front of your husband and family members.

Saleem Khan
05-15-2016, 08:52 PM
This is my opinion that I have many proofs for. I know some scholars that allow it (including my teachers). They allow very small amounts of embroidery.

However all scholars agree that taqwa (piety) is in no embroidery at all.

muslimah_B
05-15-2016, 09:24 PM
i understand, its just whenever hijab is mentioned, the colours or embroidery or flashiness issues are never mentioned, leaving grey areas as you said, it is always how it is meant to be i.e. not see through, tight or figure hugging, no camel hump but whenever the issue of colour etc people have their own opinions but not sources.. (i missed my class where hijab was covered so was not able to ask myself)
in sha Allah brother if you could please post the sources you have used, as i would like to read them and in sha Allah show some other sisters who do use the "grey area" argument

btw when i say embroidery i mean only on the sleeve area near the wrist, or tiny amounts in places which are no where near enough to draw attention

noraina
05-16-2016, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saleem Khan
This is my opinion that I have many proofs for. I know some scholars that allow it (including my teachers). They allow very small amounts of embroidery.

However all scholars agree that taqwa (piety) is in no embroidery at all.
Assalamu alaykum,

This would also apply to abayas with lace designs or printed scarves, wouldn't it?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.