/* */

PDA

View Full Version : American man pleads guilty to ripping Muslim woman?s hijab off during flight

Glac09
05-16-2016, 02:08 PM
A man from North Carolina pleaded guilty last Friday to ripping off a Muslim woman’s hijab on a flight from Chicago to Albuquerque, New Mexico, last December.

Gill Parker Payne, 37, of Gastonia, pleaded guilty to one count of using force or threat of force to intentionally obstruct a Muslim woman in the free exercise of her religious beliefs.

According to court documents, the incident occurred on 11 December 2015, when Payne and the woman, identified only as “K.A.”, were on board a Southwest Airlines flight.

Court records show that Payne was seated several rows behind Ms K.A. on the airplane, and did not know her.

Payne admitted to authorities that he saw that Ms K.A. was wearing a hijab and was aware that it is a religious practice of Muslim women to wear the headscarf.

Payne also admitted that just before landing, but while still in-flight, he walked up the aisle to where Ms K.A. was sitting and stopped next to her seat.

He then told the woman to take off her hijab, stating, “Take it off! This is America!”

Payne then grabbed the back of the hijab and pulled it all the way off, leaving the woman’s entire head exposed.

Court documents show that the woman said she felt violated and quickly put the hijab back on and covered her head again.

Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, issued a statement saying:

“No matter one’s faith, all Americans are entitled to peacefully exercise their religious beliefs free from discrimination and violence. Using or threatening force against individuals because of their religion is an affront to the fundamental values of this nation, and the Civil Rights Division will continue to be vigilant in protecting the religious liberties guaranteed to all Americans.”

A sentencing hearing has not yet been set.

More...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
05-16-2016, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Glac09
He then told the woman to take off her hijab, stating, “Take it off! This is America!”
This sounds like "This is America! Here individuals haven´t right to believe like they want by themselves!" but it was of course his own opinion.

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 02:36 PM
If someone did that to my sister she would actually kill them lol :Emoji7:

MorbidEntree
05-16-2016, 03:23 PM
At first, I was on the man's side as I thought it was a story about him ripping it off by accident in a fight that started for non-religious reasons. I was ready to post something like "that's ridiculous to charge someone with that for that reason!" But then I read the rest of the story (thank God) and saw that he was in the complete wrong. You can't just go up to a religious person and demand that they remove their religious dressing, no matter what religion they are a part of.

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
This sounds like "This is America! Here individuals haven´t right to believe like they want by themselves!" but it was of course his own opinion.
It's funny how wrong he is. The U.S. guarantees your religious freedom, yet this fool thinks it only applies to his religion (probably).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 03:42 PM
LA ILAHA ILALLAH

The nerve of a man touching a women without her permission [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] and ripping off her hijab, i hope she tried to bottle him or cause some damage to him.

If anybody ever tried to take my hijab off psychically, id beat the crap out of them
Alhamdulilah our religion is not passive and we have every right to defend ourselves

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_B
i hope she tried to bottle him or cause some damage to him.

If anybody ever tried to take my hijab off psychically, id beat the crap out of them
Alhamdulilah our religion is not passive and we have every right to defend ourselves
You remind me of my sister :Emoji7:

She would legit bottle someone or smash a brick on their heads of they did this lool

muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
You remind me of my sister :Emoji7:

She would legit bottle someone or smash a brick on their heads of they did this lool
I like her already [emoji6]
But i mean seriously i already dont like people touching me or stepping on my jilabab it gets me very angry especially when people cant just say sorry and i would accept and be nice about it , but the nerve to enter my personal space and touch me with the intention to cause harm and remove my covering (wich becomes apart of me) i would go absolutely ballistic.

I remeber when this drunk guy tried to attack me in broad daylight and was being very rude telling me to go back to pakistand and im a terrorist (im not even asian) swinging his beer can in my face, i was literally waiting for his drink to touch me so i could brick him.
And believe me people where walking past watching this man abuse me and nobody tried to help or move him from me before it turned into more than a battle of words

I remember people just walking past this sister when this man was harrasing her and she couldnt speak english properly, he left as soon as i told him about himself and realised he cant bully me lol

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 05:47 PM
he left as soon as i told him about himself and realised he cant bully me lol
That's how you gotta handle em... let em know you ain't taking none of their **** and they'll soon back off. I do feel for the sisters who wear full dress because I mostly wear western clothing but I do wear the hijab occasionally so I never get harassed. My sister typically wears a black abaya with niqab but I personally can't stand to wear that.

They see you covered and think you can't handle yourself or that you're intimidated easily. Trust me gurl muslimahs are some of the toughest girls going :shade: That time I got kicked out and went to stay at my friends house, my sister was so mad, she was going to throttle him haha.

crimsontide06
05-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Will he do this to a Nun, too?

Speaking of hijab and nuns..

Per google
Nun: A member of a religious community of women, especially a cloistered one, living under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Per many non Muslims
A woman in hijab(whom actually have more of a life than secluded nuns): A beaten and oppressed woman

muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 07:02 PM
That's how you gotta handle em... let em know you ain't taking none of their **** and they'll soon back off. I do feel for the sisters who wear full dress because I mostly wear western clothing but I do wear the hijab occasionally so I never get harassed. My sister typically wears a black abaya with niqab but I personally can't stand to wear that.

They see you covered and think you can't handle yourself or that you're intimidated easily. Trust me gurl muslimahs are some of the toughest girls going :shade: That time I got kicked out and went to stay at my friends house, my sister was so mad, she was going to throttle him haha.
Haha yess... i feel sorry more for the sisters who cant speak english properly so find it harder to defend themselves or even speak about islam to the idiots who harrass them.

Oh dont worry sis i shall soon have you wearing abaya and niqab in sha Allah [emoji6]

I kinda woulda let her throttle him tbh lool (sorry)

muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
Will he do this to a Nun, too?

Speaking of hijab and nuns..

Per google
Nun: A member of a religious community of women, especially a cloistered one, living under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Per many non Muslims
A woman in hijab(whom actually have more of a life than secluded nuns): A beaten and oppressed woman

Thats a very good point..
But typically nuns are left alone as they are seen as "religious" by the normal "common folk"
But muslim women like you rightly posted "oppressed, lesser than a man etc"
Its absolutely beyond me how both dress to please God/Allah but one is oppressed and the other is just religious

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Haha yess... i feel sorry more for the sisters who cant speak english properly so find it harder to defend themselves or even speak about islam to the idiots who harrass them.

Oh dont worry sis i shall soon have you wearing abaya and niqab in sha Allah [emoji6]

I kinda woulda let her throttle him tbh lool (sorry)
Maybe one day when I'm more grown up I might wear it but honestly if my own parents and sister cannot get me to wear it I doubt anyone could. I'm pretty stubborn :statisfie Hijab and a coloured abaya is enough for me.

This is how I might dress if I'm feeling in the mood to wear the abaya. I just prefer the way I look and feel in a nice pair of jeans, cute top with a jacket to cover my arms.

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Thats a very good point..
But typically nuns are left alone as they are seen as "religious" by the normal "common folk"
But muslim women like you rightly posted "oppressed, lesser than a man etc"
Its absolutely beyond me how both dress to please God/Allah but one is oppressed and the other is just religious
Because one is Catholic the other is Muslim lol. So much for equality :D

muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Maybe one day when I'm more grown up I might wear it but honestly if my own parents and sister cannot get me to wear it I doubt anyone could. I'm pretty stubborn :statisfie Hijab and a coloured abaya is enough for me.

This is how I might dress if I'm feeling in the mood to wear the abaya. I just prefer the way I look and feel is a nice pair of jeans, cute top with a jacket to cover my arms.
The picture you showed is fine..

Its not really about forcing you to do it, its more to understand why you dont wear or like it then show you alternatives till you feel comfortable enough in yourself to do it
And show lectures that would in sha Allah open your heart
(I cant find the one i always watch that makes me cry when i do il post it)

What is it about the hijab/abaya that you dont really like ?

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 07:47 PM
The picture you showed is fine..

Its not really about forcing you to do it, its more to understand why you dont wear or like it then show you alternatives till you feel comfortable enough in yourself to do it
And show lectures that would in sha Allah open your heart
(I cant find the one i always watch that makes me cry when i do il post it)

What is it about the hijab/abaya that you dont really like ?
I feel paranoid to say it here because people will think less of me but I just don't feel that beautiful in them. That man whom I shall try to stop mentioning lol, he said I look just as gorgeous in the abaya as a do in normal clothing but I just don't feel that way myself you know? It's kinda like make up, you just feel better about yourself when you wear it. Some people do anyway.

I love just shopping in London as they have some amazing shops and the abaya is just the same item with different pattern or colour and I like different styles of clothing. I really want to wear skirts but I know I am pushing my luck with my parents if I wear them lol.

muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 08:02 PM
I feel paranoid to say it here because people will think less of me but I just don't feel that beautiful in them. That man whom I shall try to stop mentioning lol, he said I look just as gorgeous in the abaya as a do in normal clothing but I just don't feel that way myself you know? It's kinda like make up, you just feel better about yourself when you wear it. Some people do anyway.

I love just shopping in London as they have some amazing shops and the abaya is just the same item with different pattern or colour and I like different styles of clothing. I really want to wear skirts but I know I am pushing my luck with my parents if I wear them lol.
Lol ok pm me it and we can talk about it privately in sha Allah if you want [emoji6]

Muezzin
05-16-2016, 08:02 PM
What a complete wazzock. He acted like a walking stereotype, including, "This is 'Murica!" Some people's kids...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.