/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My daughter in University! How much do I know?

Ridwaan Ravat
05-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Question:

My daughter is very interested in higher studies and wants to go to UK to study for a degree in a field where she wants to help the muslim community specifically and the people in general. The university she wants to go is mixed but has an option of staying with her cousin. In the home country there is no such degree available for study. There have been mixed responses from my relatives on this as some say its *Haram to go to a mixed university even though she will be Islamically dressed and some say it is ok as she has an objective of serving the community. I would like to know your views on this.*

__________________________________________________ _

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu 'alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

At the outset, one should understand that we are now passing through the age of mischief and corruption.*Shaytan*who is our enemy and from who we should constantly guard ourselves is making an all-out effort to deviate us from the straight path.When one makes a major decision, then generally two things are considered for the success of the decision,

Intention.Practical realities.

In an ideal situation where noble intentions, aims and objectives and practical realities complement each other, one can be optimistic of success. For example, a female has a noble intention to become a gynaecologist to serve women and studies in a female only university where she can maintain her chastity, dignity and honour and such an environment complements her noble intention, then the female could be optimistic of success without endangering her*Imaan.

If the practical realities do not complement ones noble intentions, then there is a great possibility of a failure. There are many instances of girls having had noble intentions to serve humanity with their qualifications but practical realities did not complement their noble intentions. Many sincere girls got caught up in the mixed university environment. Incidents of female abuse, rape, pregnancy and drugs in university are well known and a common read in prints and electronic media.

Facts and Statistics on Sexual Abuse.The 2015 Association of American Universities (AAU) Campus Survey on Sexual Assault, one of the largest studies ever of college sexual violence, drew responses from Campus Climate Surveys of 150,000 students across 27 schools, including most of the*Ivy League*schools. It found that more than 20% of female and 5% of male undergraduates said that they were victims of non-consensual sexual contact, defined as behaviours ranging from unwanted sexual touching or kissing to penetration, through either physical force or incapacitation, since entering college.
The Sexual Victimization of College Women. National Institute of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics.*Findings from this report include: It is estimated that the percentage of completed or attempted rape victimization among women in higher educational institutions may be between 20% and 25% over the course of a college career. Among college women, 9 in 10 victims of rape and sexual assault knew their offender. Almost 12.8% of completed rapes, 35% of attempted rapes, and 22.9% of threatened rapes happened during a date.
Reported Campus Rapes Nearly Double from 2013 to 2014
Student pregnancies at tertiary institutions worldwide are increasing every year despite the assumption that students have sufficient knowledge of the risks of unprotected sex. At TUT, the number of students who sought help as a result of unplanned pregnancies, abortion or post-abortion stress has increased by approximately 250% from 2005.

In the enquired situation, while we acknowledge the noble intention of studying in the university to serve ones community and mankind in general, the practical realities and dangers to ones*Imaan cannot be ignored.*

A Muslim woman ought to be sensitive to her Islamic values and should sacrifice everything to ensure she maintains her Islamic values and morals. It is not sufficient for one to be merely Islamically dressed to be in a mixed environment. Attraction to the opposite gender is natural. There are innumerable incidents of Muslim girls with Islamic attire contracting immoral relationship at universities. The intention and Islamic attire is not sufficient to safeguard ones Islamic values in a co-ed environment. It is like placing butter next to fire and expecting the butter not to melt or placing metal next to a magnet and expect it not to react or touching a live wire and expecting not to get shocked.

If a woman persists in such an environment and completes her studies, it is very likely that she would fracture her Islamic values and ethos. The success of her studies cannot compensate for such a loss.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best

Huzaifah Deedat

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bhabha
05-17-2016, 05:08 AM
Omg a woman doing studies in a mixed environment with good moral values and an Islamic upbringing that had been taught and not enforced will not fracture her Islamic values and ethos. She is also someone who is making dawah in her studies, people are not all sexually riled up in college and if she is a good girl and has good intentions in her studies, she is not going to be easily swayed by "boys" in school.

I think you should have more trust in your daughter. I will be going ان شاء الله to the uk to do my phd and my mother is not at all worried about me even "touching" let alone talk to a boy at university. She is more worried about me getting sick and not having her around to care for me or to mother me. Your daughter will be fine, people are not all animals. [emoji33]

MuhammadIbrahim
05-17-2016, 05:39 AM
Peace be with you all!
I have read every single word in this thread, and I have found there are two different [opposing] opinions. While I was reading sister Bhabha's post, I remembered a saying that was revealed by Sheikh Ahmed Didat, the great South African Islamic scholar. He said that a man mustn't stop his car to give a lift for a lonely woman on a highway. I jnow this act is against nobility but what if that woman was playful and later, while the man is giving her the lift, she seduced him?
The lesson is: Staying away from seduction is prefered than doing noble acts.

Bhabha
05-17-2016, 05:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadIbrahim
Peace be with you all!
I have read every single word in this thread, and I have found there are two different [opposing] opinions. While I was reading sister Bhabha's post, I remembered a saying that was revealed by Sheikh Ahmed Didat, the great South African Islamic scholar. He said that a man mustn't stop his car to give a lift for a lonely woman on a highway. I jnow this act is against nobility but what if that woman was playful and later, while the man is giving her the lift, she seduced him?
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense at all.

Stopping your car on the highway is illegal btw, but besides the point the daughter is not going to be alone at school. She is surrounded by people... She is not hitching a ride nor is she pursuing a singing career. She is getting an education.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuhammadIbrahim
05-17-2016, 06:01 AM
Dear sister Bhabha,
I'm not arguing with you. Besides, I respect your opinion. However, you should have noticed that brother Huzaifah Deedat has got Mufti Ebrahim Desai's approval on his post which supports my point of view.

Bhabha
05-17-2016, 06:13 AM
I'm sorry, but as someone who was not raised as a Muslim, I have yet to encounter these non-consensual sexual contacts. It is an exaggeration, and when I mean an exaggeration you might as well keep the woman entirely confined to the home and really allow Western society to say that Muslim women are in fact uneducated because its society refuses to allow them to become "educated". If you're scared of your daughter getting assaulted, teach her how to defend herself and most of all to trust in Allah to take care of your daughter. If you're scared of your daughter engaged in "sexual contact" then teach her good morals in order that she will not engage in this and to avoid BAD COMPANY as well as to go home early and avoid going into places and situations that will endanger her.

You do know the majority of these sexual encounters happen over parties that involve alcohol? Come on, even I as a non-Muslim knew not to go to these parties that involved alcohol and always told my parents where I was going, either going straight to school or coming back home. Shouldn't a Muslim daughter who has been raised with proper Islam do better than a non-Muslim who had no upbringing of Islam and knew better than to go have "drinks" with a guy, or go into a party or hang out with guys? Please have some sense.

Now I know why I make up probably 1% of the study body who is Muslim and is doing a PhD... because people can't control themselves when going to University? imsadimsadimsadimsad

ardianto
05-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Relationship between man and woman can be started in everywhere such as marketplace, residential area, organization, etc. So we cannot blame campus. There are many women who study in mixed environment campus but don't do something wrong.

A woman, indeed, can be interested to man, but nothing would be happen if this man didn't see it as a chance and then respond her.

Peace be with you all!
How about man who stop his car for random woman and seduce her to go with him.

The lesson is: Do not only blame women.

Freedom
05-17-2016, 07:01 AM
Doing haram is not exclusive to the west or university. If someone wanted to do haram, they could do it in any place.

Misbah0411
05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
People have to guard their imam where ever they go. Getting an education is commendable but not at the expense of losing their iman. There have been Muslims who have gone off to universities in the West only to lose their iman and then abandon Islam. One reason is they become confused due to some secular courses like philosophy. Another reason is they mingle too much with the disbelievers. And no M.A., B.A., PHD is worth losing your iman over.

Serinity
05-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Many many are naive. A man and a woman alone, and bang you are up for potential haram.

men will always have this desire for women. Disbelievers may not be able to restrain, or may go with what shaytaan says to him, as he is ignorant or arrogant.

Men are impatient to have sex with women, so men should avoid seclusion with women, as the shaytaan is the 3rd amongst them (Allah SWT is there too, as He SWT is everywhere, afaik, please correct me if I am wrong)

And Allah SWT knows best.

noraina
05-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

I believe there are so many factors before we can apply a blanket ruling to a topic like this. The truth is, with proper upbringing and tarbiyyah and if someone has a strong belief in Allah swt, that He is watching their every actions, one's iman would be able to take you through university without losing it. True the overall environment of university is one of young adults experiencing true independence for perhaps the first time and living away from home- perhaps some would find that really hard to resist and remain committed to their values.

I know plenty of Muslims who have gone through university and come out absolutely fine, but the question is for how many who leave uni with the deen intact, how many don't? I think many parents don't want to take that risk. I'm not saying it's right, I believe women should have the freedom to be as educated as possible - but parents fear sending their daughters to uni. I know many women who weren't allowed to study beyond A-levels, I'm allowed because I'm home-educated anyway and so am doing the course from home...I don't find this kind of thing strange.

And it is true, one could commit haraam at secondary school, or in their neighbourhood, or even at a work place, not just in campus. So we should make sure as Muslims our deen is firm to keep us away from what is forbidden where-ever we may be.

MuhammadIbrahim
05-17-2016, 08:59 PM
I'll tell you a short story about an extremely pious man whom some people wanted to corrupt. That man lived away from people in his house and dedicated all his life for Allah's worship. The people of his village hired a prostitute for corrupting him. She knocked at his door and asked for his protection from her family who wanted to slaughter her for committing something she didn't do. The man, after begging, accepted to have her in her house for some time as a shelter. He never slept in the room where she did. later, she tried to seduce him but he was very fearful of Allah and never touched her. Later, she could in some way or another make him drink alcohol. Soon he became drunk and committed fornication. When he woke up, he found out that he had slept with that prostitute. Later, she told him that she was pregnant and threatened him of telling all the people of the village about what had happened between them. He was very fearful and murdered her in order to save himself from the villagers' punishment.
The lesson is: Even very pious people could commit big sins when the circumstances lead to. The wise is the one who never get near to a FASIK ​community.

Bhabha
05-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Then if everyone is corruptible. Don't leave your home and hope that no one kicks you out because you have no job to pay for rent :)

MuhammadIbrahim
05-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Sister Bhabha,
I wonder if you have ever heard about prophet Muhammad's Hadith in which he talks about worldly sciences. He said that it is obligatory for the Islamic society to send one individual to learn any new science that emerges even if it was in the non-believer regions. I think tat daughter shouldn't risk her losing Iman because there must have been one Muslim Individual who had learned about what she wants to study.

EgyptPrincess
05-17-2016, 09:17 PM
This is probably one of the most ridiculous threads I have ever read.

You act like men going around raping women left right and centre. Every university in the UK, especially ones in major cities like London, Manchester, Birmingham have plenty of Muslims who go there and don't have any issues. When the men see girls in short skirts with their breasts hanging out of their tops, they won't even give your daughter a second look. As @Bhabha said these acts happen at parties where there is alcohol and music and skirts as short as belts...

If Muslim men stick with their brothers and Muslimahs stick with their sisters. It will be fine. Millions upon millions of muslims go to university and don't have any problems.

If his daughter sticks with her sisters, goes to class, sits with her sisters, goes to lunch, sits with her sisters, goes to library with her sisters she will be absolutely fine. So many paranoid people these days ^o)

Bhabha
05-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Sister Bhabha,
I wonder if you have ever heard about prophet Muhammad's Hadith in which he talks about worldly sciences. He said that it is obligatory for the Islamic society to send one individual to learn any new science that emerges even if it was in the non-believer regions. I think tat daughter shouldn't risk her losing Iman because there must have been one Muslim Individual who had learned about what she wants to study.
No one learns the same things in university. My phd for example has not been dealt with or explored, masters and PhDs and higher education rests on innovation and no two things are the "same". There is constant knowledge being produced and exchanged. It is never ever static.

Sorry but this thread is ridiculous. Why not just stop women from even reading? So they don't expand their knowledge and want to learn more, since it seems like the world is riddled with sexually driven monkeys who apparently can't behave.

I have been brought up and born in the west and there is nothing more irritating than the assumption that there is haram everywhere. There is haram where you want haram to be. The movies are not a representation of actual life in university. Statistics can be manipulated and employed to serve a purpose and often times, it seems like that purpose is to scare people from learning out of fear they will be "raped". If we are lead by movies and manipulated statics, the probability of being raped is higher in India or Afghanistan than the UK. That alcohol and prostitution is more affluent in UAE and the Middle East. So please don't assume that stereotypes which appear and are dramatized in movies are actually depictions of real life. The reality is quite different and falling prey to the petty constructions of Hollywood about western life is as absurd as believing it's Hollywood constructions about Muslims being terrorists or animals.

MuhammadIbrahim
05-17-2016, 09:32 PM
:hiding:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.