/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Muslim prepping for Ramadan?

Gr8fulDeadlift
05-18-2016, 02:10 AM
As-Salam Alaykum my brothers and sisters in Islam.
I am a new Muslim revert of maybe 8 or 9 months. I am very isolated as far my faith goes. And this will of course be my first Ramadan. I'm kind of worried about Ramadan. I am excited and eager and scared all at the same time. I am hoping this is normal. Insha Allah!
The reason that I am nervous or scared is because like I said I am isolated as far as other Muslims are concerned. So I really don't have much of a support system. I am in the South of the U.S. Small town with a small pop. of Muslims (I guess because I have yet to meet any locally). I am the only Muslim in my family. Mu husband is not Muslim nor are my children. Rest of my family is 10 hrs away in another state but they are not Muslim either. I wouldn't call them supportive anyway. The closest Islamic Center is an hour away by car. I have been able to make it up there twice since converting. The brothers and sisters there were or are amazing but still an hour away. Another reason for my apprehension is my work. ANd it is so Hot here at this Ramadan time! I work in a very fast paced, heavy lifting, and hot and humid environment. Even though it is indoors it is not uncommon for sweat to run down my back everyday at work at this time of year. Temp will reach well over 100 degrees F daily I'm sure. My big worry is water I guess.
Any suggestions on how to prep for this? It is not dry heat here. I guess I worry about my job performance as well. I don't think I would be so worried if I had some kind of support system to help me. But I don't.
Any tips big or small would b e greatly appreciated. I mean I want to fast. I want to work on strengthening my relationship with Allah. I want to fast for my creator I want to reap the benefits of fasting and Ramadan.
Shukraan for all your help.
Wassalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Saleem Khan
05-18-2016, 10:06 PM
Mashallah sister I am very pleased to hear that Allah has guided you.

Regarding your fasting query, the best thing to do would be to drink lots of water at suhoor time and maybe an energy drink with some electrolytes. This will inshallah keep you hydrated. Muslims are facing similar conditions in the UK with a 21 hour fast.

You are fortunate in one way that you can experience a similiar fast to what the sahaba kept. In the burning heat of Arabia. Also try to read more about their lives and sacrifices it will make it much easier to fast.

Inshallah as long as you drink lots of water inshallah everything will be okay.

Also I know a few muslim families that live in the south. Maybe they're wives could get in contact with you and help you out. Its good to keep a Muslim environment especially during the great month of Ramadan. Which town are you from?

It truly is inspiring to hear of your conversion especially in such an isolated place.

May Allah keep you steadfast on his deen.

BeTheChange
05-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Walaikumasalaam my dear sister.

All praise is to Allah swt for opening your heart and soul to the truth Subhana Allah.

May Allah swt continue to guide you in HIS way and may Allah swt be pleased with you on the day od Judgement Ameen.

The best way to prepare yourself is by starting to fast on Monday's & Thursday's insha Allah. This is a sunnah act but will also mentally and physically prepare you for Ramadan. Insha Allah.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Deeds are shown (to Allaah) on Mondays and Thursdays, and I like my deeds to be shown when I am fasting.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 747; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1041.
Belive me sister the first day may be just a little hard because your body's adjusting to the changes and the different sleep/eating patters etc but the rest of the days you don't feel the hunger or thirst. It's very weird and one of the blessings of Ramadan subhana Allah. On normal days (outside Ramadan) i find it difficult to control my hunger sometimes but as soon as Ramadan comes Alhamdulilah i don't feel a thing. It's a very special and blessed month subhana Allah.

I know having family support it's always our first port of call but don't worry sis, if you do not have support insha Allah we are here for you. I am sure there will be many Ramadan threads and if you are struggling or are not sure how to deal with certain challenges post the problem and insha Allah, we will help you.

In the meantime i would also like to recommend my favourite e-book site where you can learn about various topics and listen to excellent scholars. Please visit http://kalamullah.com/

May Allah swt be pleased with you sis and accept all your good deeds Ameen.

EgyptPrincess
05-18-2016, 11:12 PM
Throughout my previous fasts whenever I think I can't go another minute without a drink or some food I think about our brothers [FSA] in Syria fighting on the front lines while fasting. I don't dare to complain when I think what their fasts are like :omg:

Strength to fast in such conditions can only come from Allah! Inshallah ramadan brings some peace to the Syrian people, ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
05-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Grateful,

(smile) Welcome to this Board and welcome to Islam!

Oh goodness, if you have never fasted before, and this is your first year... and you work in such an environment... I would suggest taking it slowly. When the Companions of the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) were getting to know Islam, they started fasting gradually. The whole month came later.

I would suggest that you try one day, and see what happens. Hydration will be your biggest problem, I think. You might want to drink coconut water (not milk), or a hydration fluid (you can get these at your pharmacy) before and after you fast. Dates are good for the minerals you will need, too. (smile) You need minerals and sugar to help you absorb and hold your water.

After you've tried one day, you might want to take a break for a few days, and then try another day. (smile) Take it easy, and do what you can.

I'd also suggest that you prepare yourself before Ramadan for not eating. Try eating a good breakfast (high in protein and fat), and skipping lunch, while still drinking. Like this, the shock to your body when you stop eating and drinking for Ramadan will be less.

If you are a coffee, tea, cola, or energy drink drinker, you should quit this now. It will take a few days for your body to adapt to no caffeine, and caffeine withdrawal can give you headaches. If you quit before Ramadan, you'll be able to drink and take medication for your headache (such as plain Tylenol) while you get off the caffeine.

(smile) I hope this can help a little.

May God, the Victory Giver, Strengthen and Help those who quest to get closer to Him.

Gr8fulDeadlift
05-21-2016, 03:43 PM
As-Salam Alaykum.
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I am going to try all of these things this Monday.I pray that with these thoughts and actions I will get closer to Allah (swt)this Ramadan. Insha Allah. May Allah reward you all for your generosity and kind words of support

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.