/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Funding and PhD research

Bhabha
05-18-2016, 10:24 PM
So my application for funding has been denied. I am kind of lost about where to go from there, although perhaps the specific group giving out this funding didn't quite like my research.

What should I do?
Does anyone know Islamic organizations that are interested in funding research that will benefit Muslim communities through policies? I don't know how to tell my mother about this, she is really going to be flustered as I worked so hard to get to that point.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
EgyptPrincess
05-18-2016, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
So my application for funding has been denied. I am kind of lost about where to go from there, although perhaps the specific group giving out this funding didn't quite like my research.

What should I do?
Does anyone know Islamic organizations that are interested in funding research that will benefit Muslim communities through policies? I don't know how to tell my mother about this, she is really going to be flustered as I worked so hard to get to that point.
Hun you have a masters lol, is this not enough? xD Is it absolutely essential to get a PhD? I assume you're looking for a research position if you're wanting to do a PhD?

Bhabha
05-18-2016, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Hun you have a masters lol, is this not enough? xD Is it absolutely essential to get a PhD? I assume you're looking for a research position if you're wanting to do a PhD?
A masters will not do anything for what I want to do, which is research and teaching at the university level. I am assuming my PhD funding was denied as it will end up criticizing current policies in the UK and France that marginalize Muslim members, since it will use the experiences of converts to emphasize what the policies do.

So I'm looking perhaps into Islamic organizations that wish to fund this kind of research, though I don't know why they wouldn't want to fund it, since it will be geared towards ameliorating community relationships that are currently on the brink of explosion.

BeTheChange
05-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Asalamualykum,

I am sorry to hear your application has been denied.

Have you tried approaching lecturers who teach in this field to see if they have any suggestions?

As well as asking the lecturers in your University feel free to contact lecturers teaching in different Universities.

I hope you find the funding you need insha Allah.

Your research sounds very interesting. Alhamdulilah.

All the best!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
EgyptPrincess
05-18-2016, 10:42 PM
A masters will not do anything for what I want to do, which is research and teaching at the university level. I am assuming my PhD funding was denied as it will end up criticizing current policies in the UK and France that marginalize Muslim members, since it will use the experiences of converts to emphasize what the policies do.

So I'm looking perhaps into Islamic organizations that wish to fund this kind of research, though I don't know why they wouldn't want to fund it, since it will be geared towards ameliorating community relationships that are currently on the brink of explosion.
Yeah, a PhD is a must for a research position such as being a lecturer at a university. I'm both excited and nervous for university, I hope I have what it takes.

Bhabha
05-18-2016, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Asalamualykum,

I am sorry to hear your application has been denied.

Have you tried approaching lecturers who teach in this field to see if they have any suggestions?

As well as asking the lecturers in your University feel free to contact lecturers teaching in different Universities.

I hope you find the funding you need insha Allah.

Your research sounds very interesting. Alhamdulilah.

All the best!
Thank you, the application for the actual PhD is fine, but the funding to do the research is lacking >_>; right now I'm sending emails to different institutions that say they help fund research on things related to Islam and other Islamic based organizations...
Let's see what happens with this. The difference between an EU student and an International is crazy! imsad:facepalm:

It was actually my potential PhD supervisor who asked me to apply to that funding, she thought I was going to receive it *sigh*

s.ali123
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Thank you, the application for the actual PhD is fine, but the funding to do the research is lacking >_>; right now I'm sending emails to different institutions that say they help fund research on things related to Islam and other Islamic based organizations...
Let's see what happens with this. The difference between an EU student and an International is crazy! imsad:facepalm:

It was actually my potential PhD supervisor who asked me to apply to that funding, she thought I was going to receive it *sigh*
Don't worry in shaa Allah you will get something. I don't have any specific suggestion for the funding. But your topic is interesting. :)

Bhabha
05-21-2016, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by s.ali123
Don't worry in shaa Allah you will get something. I don't have any specific suggestion for the funding. But your topic is interesting. :)
Insh'Allah. The woman at admissions told me to apply next year WAY ahead of time to like five different funding places. So, I guess I will see if I can get a research assistant position for 2016 >_>. I just don't want to suffer not having access to journals and academic articles, I will be so stressed out if I can't read.... political journals for an entire year @_______@ :hmm::phew

Freedom
05-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Insh'Allah. The woman at admissions told me to apply next year WAY ahead of time to like five different funding places. So, I guess I will see if I can get a research assistant position for 2016 >_>. I just don't want to suffer not having access to journals and academic articles, I will be so stressed out if I can't read.... political journals for an entire year @_______@ :hmm::phew
Funding is very competitive, that is part of why I'm sticking to a masters only. The best thing is to apply to many funding places. I'm not sure if you have a backup plan, but it's always helpful to have one.

Bhabha
05-21-2016, 04:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Freedom
Funding is very competitive, that is part of why I'm sticking to a masters only. The best thing is to apply to many funding places. I'm not sure if you have a backup plan, but it's always helpful to have one.
Well I will admit that I applied late. [emoji24] to be honest I just want to continue doing research and writing and teaching. But i will try something else for a year until the next batch of applications come. I guess I'll work the whole summer on perfecting the application. *sigh*

I don't see myself in anything else but teaching [emoji24]

Freedom
05-21-2016, 04:57 AM
Well I will admit that I applied late. [emoji24] to be honest I just want to continue doing research and writing and teaching. But i will try something else for a year until the next batch of applications come. I guess I'll work the whole summer on perfecting the application. *sigh*

I would love to teach. Wish you luck.

Bhabha
05-21-2016, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Freedom
I would love to teach. Wish you luck.
You like teaching too ^__^ and thank you ^__^

s.ali123
05-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Soon I would also be looking for funding as my I am reaching end of my MSc :) But I guess I am lazy like you [emoji14] I haven't applied to places for PhD but I guess in shaa Allah it won't be an issue as Germany gives one extra year to look for job or PhD :)

s.ali123
05-21-2016, 07:17 AM

Yeah I think you fit in teaching as you write and talk a lot on IB, and teachers need to have both of these characteristics [emoji14]

Bhabha
05-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Soon I would also be looking for funding as my I am reaching end of my MSc :) But I guess I am lazy like you [emoji14] I haven't applied to places for PhD but I guess in shaa Allah it won't be an issue as Germany gives one extra year to look for job or PhD :)
>_> not lazy, but Universities need to have courses that help students doing their Masters for PhD applications... I swear doing applications just for the PhD programs AND for that late funding were as exhausting as an entire course.. it should have been for an entire year -_-, a course designed to help students create and submit their applications the BEST way possible -_-.

What are you doing your PhD in? are you applying in germany? GAH i'm so stressed.

s.ali123
05-21-2016, 07:39 AM
>_> not lazy, but Universities need to have courses that help students doing their Masters for PhD applications... I swear doing applications just for the PhD programs AND for that late funding were as exhausting as an entire course.. it should have been for an entire year -_-, a course designed to help students create and submit their applications the BEST way possible -_-.

What are you doing your PhD in? are you applying in germany? GAH i'm so stressed.
And you are right, the application processes are so heavy that they should also give us credits for application. Lol

Bhabha
05-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Right now I am working on my MSc thesis. Haven't started to look for PhD. But since I am more on engineering side, so in shaa Allah there won't be issue for PhD. There are many places to apply for in Germany. :)
And you are right as well, the application processes are so heavy that they should also give us credits for application. Lol
Do you speak German?

Technically... i'm still working on my thesis >_>; but I didn't want to wait that "in-between" year.. so I guess I rushed into the application process *sigh*

Though, I found a cool research assistant position in Qatar for someone in my field, interested in gulf studies... maybe I'll go there for a bit @_@

s.ali123
05-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Do you speak German?

Technically... i'm still working on my thesis >_>; but I didn't want to wait that "in-between" year.. so I guess I rushed into the application process *sigh*

Though, I found a cool research assistant position in Qatar for someone in my field, interested in gulf studies... maybe I'll go there for a bit @_@
No.
Qatar is nice place. Besides there are many Islamic centers there as well. You can also join some Islamic course there during you stay. It will be very beneficial.

Bhabha
05-21-2016, 07:52 AM
No. I did A1 in second semester. I will in shaa Allah invest more time on German after thesis. Right now I am not focused on German. Besides since my MSc is in english, so I did not pay much attention to language and many people in Munich understand english, so I became lazy [emoji14]
Qatar is nice place. Besides there are many Islamic centers there as well. You can also join some Islamic course there during you stay. It will be very beneficial.
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Do they offer funding to non-Germans? I refuse to pay for tuition >_> i like my scholarships and I had full funding for my masters, but Canadian schools generally fund graduate students.

And yeah Qatar is nice, I want to retire somewhere in the gulf, teaching at a university. I like the sound of the call to prayer waking me up, plus I can eat anywhere since there's no porky :p and wear niqab, since people won't discriminate... *sigh*

s.ali123
05-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Do they offer funding to non-Germans? I refuse to pay for tuition >_> i like my scholarships and I had full funding for my masters, but Canadian schools generally fund graduate students.

And yeah Qatar is nice, I want to retire somewhere in the gulf, teaching at a university. I like the sound of the call to prayer waking me up, plus I can eat anywhere since there's no porky [emoji14] and wear niqab, since people won't discriminate... *sigh*
I am non German [emoji14]

But middle east and their policies are so much worse for non westerners, even other arabs, that I don't want to work there. They simply kick us out as soon as we loose job. Besides they don't give nationality even if you spend entire life there [emoji14] and you have to work more or less like a slave. Even other arabs I talked to, say the same about about middle east. I am not talking about the people there, many of them are very nice, but also many of them look down on other non saudi, qatari or emariti. That's a reality. :D

s.ali123
05-21-2016, 08:13 AM
In Germany, there is no tution fee for anyone, whether German or not. I just had to pay for my own living and student union fee of around 100 euro each semester, even that I covered easily with student jobs. So in terms of study and expenditure I find Germany very good. Even many Americans come here due to this reason. Many of my Pakistani friends are pursuing PhD here without any tution fee, rather they get stipend if they agree to also work for the Prof with his projects.

I also miss adhaan here. But middle east and their policies are so much worse for non westerners, even other arabs, that I don't want to work there. They simply kick us out as soon as we loose job. Besides they don't give nationality even if you spend entire life there [emoji14] and you have to work more or less like a slave. Even other arabs I talked to, say the same about about middle east. I am not talking about the people there, many of them are very nice, but also many of them look down on other non saudi, qatari or emariti. That's a reality. :D

Recently one of my friend brother in law was forced to leave country and his job because his last name was "Syed", which indicate descendant of the Ali and Fatima (R.A.). They said that you are shia and have to leave. Even though he is sunni. Even I am Syed, but sunni. But qatar kicked him out [emoji14] Then he came to Pakistan for some year, and changed his last name on Passport and then searched for another job in Qatar. Which to me does not make any sense at all. In sub continent great majority of syed are sunni. But even otherwise why did they have such policy for shia in the first place! I am definitely sure if he had a passport of some western country, then he would not have to go through that.
Oh and they kicked him out with children and wife. Lol. He had been working there for many years. [emoji14]

Bhabha
05-21-2016, 08:20 AM
In Germany, there is no tution fee for anyone, whether German or not. I just had to pay for my own living and student union fee of around 100 euro each semester, even that I covered easily with student jobs. So in terms of study and expenditure I find Germany very good. Even many Americans come here due to this reason. Many of my Pakistani friends are pursuing PhD here without any tution fee, rather they get stipend if they agree to also work for the Prof with his projects.

I also miss adhaan here. But middle east and their policies are so much worse for non westerners, even other arabs, that I don't want to work there. They simply kick us out as soon as we loose job. Besides they don't give nationality even if you spend entire life there [emoji14] and you have to work more or less like a slave. Even other arabs I talked to, say the same about about middle east. I am not talking about the people there, many of them are very nice, but also many of them look down on other non saudi, qatari or emariti. That's a reality. :D

Recently one of my friend brother in law was forced to leave country and his job because his last name was "Syed", which indicate descendant of the Ali and Fatima (R.A.). They said that you are shia and have to leave. Even though he is sunni. Even I am Syed, but sunni. But qatar kicked him out [emoji14] Then he came to Pakistan for some year, and changed his last name on Passport and then searched for another job in Qatar. Which to me does not make any sense at all. In sub continent great majority of syed are sunni. But even otherwise why did they have such policy for shia in the first place! I am definitely sure if he had a passport of some western country, then he would not have to go through that.
Oooooooh. Well, I don't want Qatari nationality, I know in like 30 years their oil and gas will die off, like the rest of the gulf, so they will go back to sand lol... and they are also discriminated against in terms of passport into other countries. I don't get this issue of discriminating based on passport, its kind of silly... but I never had a problem since i'm a "westerner" that is so odd, considering I don't affiliate myself with western culture..

GAH why are people so DUMB!!!!!!

anyhow, time for bed >_>

Scimitar
05-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Seems like you've just learnt that getting funding is all about knocking on as many doors as you can.

What should I do?

Well, whatever you do - don't stop. When one finds himself in a bad situation - the last thing one should do is stop there for a rest... know what i'm saying?

keep on, keeping on. in sha Allah you will get funding.

Scimi

Bhabha
05-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Hmmmm what about Saudi? @_@

Bhabha
05-22-2016, 08:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar
Seems like you've just learnt that getting funding is all about knocking on as many doors as you can.

Well, whatever you do - don't stop. When one finds himself in a bad situation - the last thing one should do is stop there for a rest... know what i'm saying?

keep on, keeping on. in sha Allah you will get funding.

Scimi

You reminded me of that song >_<

Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlight people
Don't stop believin'
Hold on
Streetlight people
Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlight people

GAH!
You know what is also making me ANGRY when people post a position and ask for like 10 years of teaching experience at a UNI LEVEL and the MIN. requirement is a MASTERS! Who the heck teaches... with a MASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!! imsadimsadimsad

Scimitar
05-22-2016, 02:50 PM
People buy into enthusiasm - the moment you lose that - you lose interest from your prospective sponsors.

Scimi

noraina
05-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Assalamu alaykum,
I don't have much advice to give on this. As the others have said, keep your opportunities open and apply to as many places as you can. Most of all have patience and never give up. Just keep up the great enthusiasm you already have, I know you're passionate about what you are doing and others will be able to see that too.

Your research topic is really interesting ma'sha'Allah, when you joined here and mentioned it I loved the idea, so praying for you sis.

I would love to go into teaching myself, if I can.

May Allah swt make it easy for you and give you success in all of your endeavours, and may they be a source of great reward for you.

Bhabha
05-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Thank you both !

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.